Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not much was done with it?? They accidentally are let loose, the evolve exponentially in hours, replicate with raw material, damaging the enterpirise computers, are attacked, fight back (collectively declaring war), then are negotiated with, and settled...all in the same episode. Wesley only set them in motion by creating smarter nanites, they did the rest on their own.

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One thing really stands out in HD. It's the interim uniforms they used in the first half-dozen or so episodes. The vertical and horizontal seams on the front and back are pretty distracting. I've always noticed the vertical ones, but I never noticed the seams near the armpits before.

Starting in Booby Trap, Picard gets the newest and final uniform. Riker gets one in the next episode, The Enemy, while the yellow-shirts get them later.

In Booby Trap, I didn't notice a CGI Enterprise. I did notice the new explosion for the warship and collectors. And when the Enterprise fires the torpedoes, they flipped the hull registry to its proper orientation (which HTV forgot to do in Pen Pals - they left it blank)

3. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, I've been keeping a close eye on the uniforms as well. Don't remember at which point all the main cast get the "solid" uniforms. Seemed a little silly that only Picard wore it in "Booby Trap", almost as if it were a test case. The one thing that bugs me about season 3 is all the peons still wearing the old style uniforms, but hey, Lieutenant O'Brien was cool enough to get a new one. ;)

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never noticed the vertical seams before, but found them very apparent in the blurays. I dismissed it as being from the degraded quality of the original prints. I'm slightly relieved that that it wasn't that I never noticed it, but rather that it was only in a few episodes. I think the seams actually add a little character to the uniforms.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I've never liked the 'in-between' uniforms very much. Thank goodness they didn't last long. :)

6. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished Ensigns of Command. It was a pretty good episode. Who was black actor in the green shirt? Was he in any other episodes? His voice sounds familiar. The Sheliak ship is just as horrible in HD as it was in SD..lol Just a mashup of the freighter from The Search for Spock.

-Chris

7. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't even realize the uniforms changed through out season 3, the seams are really noticeable in HD.

-Chris

8. jimbotron

Yup, he was the Tamarian first officer in Darmok.

9. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never noticed this either, and I've watched every TNG episode into the ground. I don't own the blu rays of season 3 yet.

Can someone post some good comparison pics?

10. jimbotron

At the beginning of The Enemy, right after they beam down to the planet, there's a flash of lightning, and the set backdrop curtain appears quite prominently. :lol:

11. jimbotron

Here's the early season 3 uniform:
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/_.../en/images/4/43/Early_2366_Uniform_Jacket.jpg

Here's the later one:
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120205172839/memoryalpha/en/images/7/78/Uniform_transition_2366.jpg

It's pretty subtle in SD. The shoulder pads are a little different, and there are multiple seams. Two vertical, and two or three along the side.

The early season 3 uniforms continued to be spandex, which the cast didn't like, so they switched materials (and got rid of the seams).

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  12. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, I never noticed those seams over the chest. That's crazy! How did I never notice that? Sure will be distracting, but it's interesting nonetheless.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I liked this ep as well. Although I did have to chuckle at how there's supposedly "15,000" inhabitants, yet only about 25 ever bother to show up to discuss the imminent attack on their city from the Sheliak. Lol

And wait, was that O'Brien playing bass during the musical concert?!? Seriously?? :eek: Was this musical ability of his EVER seen or referenced again on TNG or DS9? Because I sure don't remember it.

Oh and yeah, the Sheliak do look kind of laughably bad now in HD. It basically just looks like a guy wearing a comforter someone took off their bed. And I never realized before that their voice was the exact same one used for Armus in Skin of Evil.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I remembered the seams and how snug the uniforms were, but I didn't remember the communicators being positioned so far to the middle before, which just looks odd. And plus you can make out the underlying folds and such under the material, which is not too appealing.

Glad they decided to refine it a bit more later, and go for a much smoother look.

15. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

Wow, I'd forgotten how good an episode The Defector is. One of the best TNG episodes they'd made up to then, right up there with Q Who and Measure of A Man IMO. Just really strong writing/dialogue, brilliant acting and great pacing. And now it looks awesome in HD too! From The Defector on is when Season 3 REALLY gets good.

16. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Just starting to watch season 3 looking and sounding good !! Just noticed the uniforms seams. It's amazing what HD brings out !! Looking forward to watching future episodes !!!

17. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I bought it at Target last night after work to take advantage of the good deal they have! I got the last Season 3 they had and the second to last BOBW bluray! Have not had a chance to watch any of it yet but very excited to!

18. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Here's a good look at the early S3 uniforms in HD:

[​IMG]

19. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Oh well I apologize if it is untrue but I did read that somewhere and I didn't make it up. So it seems I read incorrect info to start with :confused:

20. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To all those people saying they'd never seen the seams on early season three uniforms before - really? They were always really obvious to me, even during the first run of TNG back in the early nineties on the BBC. Did the television sets in America have a lower resolution than ours during that period?