Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Even if someone could possibly make a case here, the Broadcast Act 1956 states that all television broadcasts are under copyright for 50 years from the date of broadcast, so the only story that would "benefit" is Marco Polo, and not until the middle of next year.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

3. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's looking like "how many" will depend on how many people buy the first few.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, BBC has now officially announced the announcement :bolian:

5. Turbo

Interestingly, The Web of Fear audiobook is no longer available from either iTunes US or Audible.com. Not sure if it's been gone awhile, as I bought it ages ago, but it is the only one missing. (They even finally put The Wheel in Space up there - took long enough!)

6. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

As StCoop said above, the copyright on the episodes (as opposed to the broadcasts-- they're different categories because the law was written when unrecorded live TV and radio were still factors) lasts for 70 years from the death of the last of several key participants in their making. For "Marco Polo," for example, that will be Waris Hussein, who's still living.

7. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was going to speculate before the BBC finally announced the announcment what the excuse would be for any further postponements and I came to the conclusion it would be that a Dalek exterminated the Blue Peter dog before it could regurgitate the reels and reels of missing Dr Who episodes it had just eaten.
    On a more serious note, do you think any of these recovered episodes will find their way onto DVD? If they do I bet there'll be one of those stickers on the cover which'll read 'Not seen for 40 years!" or "Believed lost for ever, until now!". Not to mention a DVD extra detailing the story of their discovery.

8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kevin Davies is saying 19 on Facebook, but it may just be a joke.

9. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

There's more than a bit of hyperbole in his statement but perhaps a grain of truth. It's possible they're testing the iTunes waters to see how well they do and if it's viable for future newly found episodes. The alternative would be to package them either together on their own DVDs in compilations or with other stories, maybe new special editions.

It could be a case of the BBC seeing which approach is more profitable. If we don't buy them on iTunes, I'm sure they'd be made available in other ways, but perhaps not as quickly.

Of course, that's assuming there are more lost episodes that were found, which I'm not assuming at this point. Right now I'm thinking there are 2, at most.

Mr Awe

10. Turbo

Two episodes or two serials?

11. Mr Awe

"A number" have been found. That's a bit vague, but to me that implies more than 2 episodes. But it's down to semantics. Can't wait to find out!

Mr Awe

12. Mr Awe

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hoped that the rumoured '2' was stories and not episodes.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, if it really is 19 episodes, and Enemy of the World and Web of Fear are indeed complete, that would leave either 7 (or 9, since we have 1 episode of each) episodes left. If this really is the way it falls, what's everyone's wishlist for the other 7 episodes, complete another serial(s) or scattered sampling of episodes? At this point, I'd prefer for the left over episodes not to be episodes that are already animated, 'cause I want as many stories as possible available :alienblush:

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Apart from the 90-episode strand of the rumor, the most common claim was that the find was all of "Web" and "Enemy" plus all of "Marco Polo." That would be 17 missing episodes, or 19 total. Part of the "blackmail" claim going around now is that "Marco Polo" and "Web" 3, the first appearance of the Brigadier, are being held back until whatever demands are met.

16. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Even if there had been a trace of doubt remaining, the reporting of it by the Beeb itself removes it. The fact they have confirmed it is technically the most significant development since the People article. Happy days :techman:

17. StCoop

Wasn't one of the crazy rumours that the person with the episodes wanted Moffat fired, amongst other things?

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It was.

19. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can't see any serious episode hunter - which is what, given the amount apparently found, is what it seems likely they are dealing with - asking for something so absurd.

20. StCoop

If he's a traditionalist maybe he's the one we should be thanking for casting Capaldi instead of one of those children whose names were being tossed around? :devil: