What Happens After Death

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Into Darkness, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Into Darkness

Into Darkness Captain Captain

What do you think happens to you after death? if you believe you have a soul or are a soul and continue to exist what do you believe comes next?

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Nothing happens to you after death. You're DEAD.

Your remains decay and go back to the soil. Time marches on. End of story.

Next question?

3. Into Darkness

Into Darkness Captain Captain

Have you never studied near death experiences in depth?

4. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Near death experiences are near universally bunk. They only thing they prove is that the brain kicks some weird shit when it shuts down. They have all the characteristics of hallucinatory experiences, and are easily explained as such.

There is nothing to support the idea of an afterlife. Which doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but one should be aware that faith and hope are not scientific facts.

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Precisely said.

I have. I even had one myself. I agree with auntiehill.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yup, that's it - Game Over.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'll be a little pile of grey ash in a tacky urn.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'll be gone. Experience ending at death is not the worst thing in the world; there's a certain level of relief to knowing you won't exist for an eternity.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't want to know. Why ruin the surprise?

10. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

When the blood circulation in the brain drops, it could cause an increase in neural activity that's incoherent and erratic. You got a NDE? You're tripping man. It's probably better than oxygen deprivation from hyperventilation or snorting helium balloons, but also more deadly. Definitely not an advisable form of tripping.

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Yeah, I'd hate to spend eternity in either heaven or hell, at least as they're usually depicted in Western culture. Hell would be suffering in agony forever, and heaven would be boring as shit.

12. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Existing for eternity sounds worse than it just being over with. I can't even fathom the concept of eternity.

I believe that after death, you feel the same way you did before you were born. Nothingness.

That said, science cannot currently prove that the existence of an afterlife is a false one or a true one. Therefore, these are all just beliefs, not facts, whether you believe there is one or isn't one. It's still a belief system, regardless if you are pro or con.

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Einstein's theory that "Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another" and the way thought patterns are formed (electrical) has always kept me open minded to an afterlife.

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm open to the idea, but I don't consider it at all likely that there is life of any kind after death. Contrary to what some folks feel, I wouldn't mind living for an eternity! :D

15. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

In my view, consciousness is a process and must ultimately end. That's not necessarily an appealing scenario on a visceral level - most of us have fairly healthy survival instincts, not to mention loved ones the loss of whom we would mourn / have mourned. But most if not all of the evidence, biological and otherwise, points to mortality of the soul. And even if you afford "soul" the meaning of a consciousness that can persist while disembodied, there's still the same issue as that stated by the Narrator in Fight Club - on a long enough timeline, everyone's survival rate drops to zero. If there is a finite chance of your consciousness ending (by entropy, happenstance, a mercurial God changing its mind or some other factor) then given enough time it is certain to happen.

16. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Uh, no. Do we need to do again the "atheism is not a religion" stuff, only with a slightly different slant?

Try a few centuries before him. Leibniz was the first to postulate the idea of conservation of energy (which he called vis viva) in the 17th century.

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

"What happens after death?"?? Most people think you either go to heaven or hell, but in truth you go to Fargo, North Dakota.

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

there wasn't a beforelife before i existed, so i'm not expecting an afterlife after

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I think the closest anyone can do is fathom, you can't be sure what happens after life until your dead. That said, this is only a theory. With my previous post in mind think 4th dimensionally. The electrical current created at the point of birth to the day you die IS you, moving about on a 4th dimensional plane unconstricted by reality. That's this agnostics point of view at least.

20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

My cells will chemically break down, be absorbed and processed by other life forms, mostly bacteria.
    My molecules will be carried into the world, my atoms will become part of nature, millions of animals and plants, maybe even humans, until they die.
    Eventually, with some luck, our sun's death will blow my atoms into interstellar space where they drift for eons, combine with interstellar dust clouds that collapse into stellar bodies ignite stars and form new worlds where the process begins a new and billions of years from now some alien life form, that juuust maybe is made with an old atom of mine, will think about what happens after death...

That, my friends, is immortality.