will star trek ever return to prime universe?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by tmosler, Sep 29, 2012.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi I just have a quick question. After the 2009 star trek movie and star trek into darkness is being set to be released next year does anyone think that if another tv series is made can star trek return to the prime universe? The reason I ask is because as much as I am happy with the 2009 movie for getting trek back on its feet I love the prime universe and would be depressed if star trek never returns to it. So what are your thoughts do you think the prime universe is dead?

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Other than in the comics and novels, yeah, it's pretty much dead and will probably stay that way.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Whilst I would never say never, I think it's unlikely. When ST returns to TV (and I think it will at some point), they'll either continue in the 2009 movie universe or start over in another universe.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think both the prime and Abramsverse will be gone 10-12 years from now and Trek will be rebooted--cleanly--with someone else in charge.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The prime universe lives on in the monthly novels, which (with the unfortunate exception of Enterprise) have maintained a very high standard since the Destiny trilogy.

As for Prime Trek continuing in TV/film, I seriously doubt it. You might want to look at THIS fan film project, which features many Trek veterans (Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo, Ethan Phillips and more) both in front of and behind the camera.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love for Trek to return to the Prime/Real Universe, though I doubt it will.

The thing will be though (if they ever did bring the PU back to TV), with the novels having done so much would they stick to some of what was written or ignore it all and lay down what is canon?

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This.

Why be restrained by something read by a sliver of the fan base? The novels would have to fall in line with the TV series.

8. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I really don't like your attitude :) I find it pessimistic :)
    In my opinion, if CBS wants to differentiate a TV series from the movie-verse, mostly not to screw up continuity they should go on with the prime-verse in a potential series. But I must agree with Temis the Vorta that there is no place for a Star Trek series currently on any national CBS channel. The best place for Star Trek would be a cable channel or Netflix ...

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

We might get a TV series where we can't easily tell what universe it's in. Even the existence of Vulcan wouldn't prove anything, that could be the Vulcan colony. Fans will be left to argue about circumstantial evidence, such as the set aesthetics, which no doubt will be more like the Abrams' movies than TOS.

CBS probably wouldn't care about hewing to Paramount's storyline, but any new TV series is most likely going to be made by alumni of the Abrams movies. Bob Orci has already dibsed a new series with CBS (where it would air, TBD), and the credibility of the movies' success will overwhelm all other factors for CBS making a decision on a new series, especially if the next movie is a big hit, too. (If it isn't, that will seriously harm the chances if any new series being made.)

The timetravel logic of the movies implies that the Abrams U will somehow re-merge with the Prime U at some point in the future. At least that's one interpretation of what's going on. So even an Abrams U series might lead back to the Prime U.

If there's no new TV series, that could happen. The only way for the current continuity (which does acknoweldge the existence of the Prime U) to be safeguarded is by a series to be made, and become a big success. The movies really can't provide that "security" since CBS is in charge and they could do any TV show they want at any time, even a really upsetting one. ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Aside from books and comics (on sale now), the old continuity is now a beloved bit of TV history . . . and will probably never be seen onscreen again. I honestly can't think of a single movie or tv franchise that reverted back to a previous continuity after being rebooted.

11. Bry_Sinclair

That's my general belief as well, unless Trek becomes a money-making machine and picks up in 2390 with all the continuity of the novels intact and lots of underlying plots and in-jokes that only those who forked out for every book would get :lol:

12. trekmom

trekmom Ensign Red Shirt

I would hope they'd incorporate the literature, but IDK how many TV watchers cross over to readers. So many things have happened since TNG/Voyager went off the air in the literature! I'd be both pi$$ed and confused!

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's not an attitude at all, it's just being realistic.
    :vulcan:

Times have changed since Trek was last on the air. Reboots are becoming more and more frequent these days--not just with various properties, but within the various properties. And Star Trek XI did open the door for multiple Trek continuities.
    The main thing with that idea is an assumption that it matters to CBS. Whoever CBS decides on to develop a new Trek series may have no interest whatsoever in keeping either the prime-verse or the Abramsverse, and if they can convince CBS it's the way to go, they'll sign off on it happily enough, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a return to the prime universe myself (preferrably 25th-Century), but I think a total reboot is more likely in about a dozen years.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The conventional wisdom is about 2%, so, yeah, it would be silly to assume that the TV audiences would be familiar with what happens in the books . . . .

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

TV/film Trek has incorporated elements of the novels before, like George Kirk being a Starfleet officer, Winona being the name of Jim Kirk's mother, Uhura and Sulu's first names, a ton of Vulcan lore, the Vanguard station design etc etc.

But I cant see them featuring or building on plotlines from the books.... unless Trek Lit magically achieves Harry Potter-level sales. The books deserve as much acclaim as the episodes and movies. But Trekkies prefer to watch rather than read:(

16. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

ST09 is as much a new "universe" as TNG was when it came along. Actually it contains far more fanwank than any previous transition piece.
    Trek does not need to be set in this or that "universe" to prosper, it needs less continuity obsession.

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I seriously hope that the original universe is left to Pocket Books and IDW.

18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The only people who care about the prime universe are us. Television executives don't. If a new Trek series is ever created, it will be based on what those future executives want to do with the brand, not what a relatively small percentage of the total fanbase wants.

And even if they want to stay in the prime universe, by no means does that guarantee that it will look in any way the same. Take the new Doctor Who. It is most definitely in the same universe as the original series, and yet it couldn't look more different in terms of storytelling, set design, acting, format, etc., to the point where it might as well have been a reboot.

19. Bry_Sinclair

I used to love the Trek books, but haven't read any of the most recent releases (ie pretty much anything after DS9's Mission Gamma).

20. trekmom

trekmom Ensign Red Shirt

Wow, only 2%? I wonder why? I love getting the continuing story and reading about my favorite characters. I can't imagine being a fan and NOT wanting to read the new books. But then again, I've always been a reader. I know lots of people don't read just because they don't like to. Weirdos. :)