So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

One Constant Star by David R. George III. I'm liking it so far!:techman:

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek ds9 The Left hand of Destiny Book 2.by J.G Hertzler& Jeffrey Lang. I like how Ezri Dax is written in this book.

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started The Course of Empire by Eric Flint & K.D. Wentworth today.

I enjoyed One Constant Star (DRG3) and The Thousand Dollar Tan Line (R Thomas/J Graham)

4. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I just finished Comes the End by William Creed. I've started the second book in the series, The Gathering.

5. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Finished Seasons of Light & Darkness by Michael A. Martin and my review is up here for anyone who is interested.

Having a break from Star Trek at the moment and reading a couple of Indie Authored fantasy novels.

6. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished out Bernice Summerfield and the Doomsday Manuscript. A bit oddly paced, a lot of "fake outs" that didn't do anything for the plot. Basically what would have been a neat 80 page novella turns into a pretty boring 213 page tale.

Haven't made any headway on Beowulf, sadly. I did get through the first chapter of The Eternal Tide, really loved the brief prologue with Amanda and Junior. Spot on dialogue.

7. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

After sage advice to skip book two of the Gateways series I went on to read three, four and five pretty quickly. I had a sense of deja vu while reading book four right after three before I realized that the events were the same, just from different perspectives. I enjoyed all three, but particularly liked the story in "No Man's Land", the Voyager installment of the series. Even the unfamiliar characters didn't come across as too shallow, although it was a short book so not able to really devote much time to one-shot characters and the plot. I liked the interactions between our heroes and the random species encountered in the novel.

I'm considering skipping book six, since I'm not too familiar with the seemingly insufferably charming Captain Calhoun, I'm only familiar with the character through some irrelevant cameos. I like Shelby though, I will probably try it. I'm a little concerned that the finale with the seventh book is only 2.5 stars on Amazon, but after devoting this much reading and $48, I gotta find out how it all ties together at the end. And maybe I will finally learn something tangible about the Petraw.

8. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In the last week I've only managed to read a single book, the tenth Cadfael Chronicle, The Pilgrim of Hate. This one of the series always stands out to me, as I saw the TV adaptation of Cadfael back in the 90s before I read the books, as while most were fairly faithfully adapted, this one was an almost completely different story.

I've started dipping into Graphic novels again, and read the third Transformers: Classics volume (The US G1 reprints), and Black Widow: Homecoming, The Name of the Rose, Kiss or Kill, Widowmaker and Itsy-Bitsy Spider. Homecoming and The Name of The Rose definitely the best of the bunch.

Now I've started reading the Farscape comic series, which was on sale on comixology this week. I love Farscape, so I can't quite believe I've never gotten around to reading this !

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Read the first volume of the collected Afterlife with Archie comics, with the gang at Riverdale facing a genuine zombie apocalypse. Good, grisly fun so far, although, not having read Archie comics for decades, I didn't recognize some of the newer characters. (Who were the rich, red-headed siblings? Or the secret lesbians?)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Read through the first four Hornblower books this week. Have been meaning to read them for a long time as Bernard Cornwall always mentions them in his Sharpe books.
    So far they seem kinda disjointed (more like collections of short stories then novels), but the plots have been good, and Forester writes absolutely thrilling action scenes.

11. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I jumped into book six of Gateways (New Frontiers: Cold War) without much knowledge about the crew from the Excalibur, and I liked it! I had no problem getting into the story and setting, which I credit to Peter David - I'm sorry I doubted him. I've loved all the novels he's written that I have read. I started it this morning and finished it this afternoon.

For the record, I'm homeless and living in my Suburban and my summer of hell doesn't start until late next week with two full time jobs, so I have had a LOT of reading time lately.

I especially enjoyed the 'good cop/bad cop' scene between Shelby and Calhoun - although Shelby wasn't exactly a good cop. It read nicely though, and the scene was riveting in my imagination.

Starting Book 7 I can see why it got 2.5 stars - a lot of it is really well-written and easy to follow - but only in certain chapters (from my perspective). I don't blame the writers, I blame the editors. After six other books, they're like 'What do you mean you don't remember absolutely everything about the book you read a week ago?" and plunge right back into those stories chapter by chapter like we all have Bowers-like eidetic memories. So I've skipped some chapters. I'm looking forward to the end.

12. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

On a similar note, I finally got my New Frontier reading started again with Once Burned. Brilliant, and not what I expected from the hints scattered around the previous NF books. Next up is the graphic novel Double Time, which I bought ages ago. Unfortunately, I moved back out of my parents and that (along with the majority of my stuff) is still there. 400 miles away. So as jazzed for getting back into reading NF as I am, it's on hold until I next visit them.

13. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Theres nothing essential in Double Time that would prevent you from moving on with the other books - the only vaguely significant element is recapped at the start of the next book, if i recall correctly. I didn't read double time in the right place when i first read new frontier, and it didn't do any harm to my experience.

14. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I've finished DRG3's TLE: One Constant Star, and have gone back to Jeff Mariotte's Serpents in the Garden. I had put it down to jump into OCS. Hopefully the second half grabs me more than the first half did :confused:

15. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I really liked No Man's Land as well. It was definitely the second strongest of the Gateways books.

I just read this last night and really enjoyed it. I didn't really know who many of the characters outside of the main gang, either. I was also a little confused as one of the characters is called a Fratboy but they're in high school? And I wasn't sure how to take the comment that Kevin Keller had military training. Am I to take it that he's older, too? Still, my unfamiliarity aside, it was a really great read with some great character moments. Francesco Francavilla is a fantastic artist and so perfect for the mood of this book.

I love the Hornblower books. CS Forester is indeed a great action writer. Mr. Midshipman Hornblower is essentially a series of connected short stories which published much later then the other Hornblower novels, so they do feel a little different. As well's Forester's writing style changes over time and as the books are currently published in chronological order of Hornblower's life opposed to publication order, there can be style clashes. Still, it's one of my favorite series. I do need to get on the Sharpe bandwagon, though. Been meaning to do that for ages.

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished These are the Voyages, Season 1.

Boring, formulaic and IMO one-sided book.

17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished Star trek Ds9 book2 of The Left hand of Destiny trilogy by J.G.Hertzler and Jeffery Lang. Very interesting story about the Klingons. I'm reading another Vanguard Novel this is a fantastic book series!:techman:

18. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Cheers. I'll bear that in mind. Once Burned was in a compilation of Captain's Table, and I've still got Picard, Sisko and Janeway to go. Been slowly picking my way through Double Helix as well, so I hit the NF part at the right point, so plenty to keep me busy for a little bit. Going to start Red Sector next.

19. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I'm waiting for my trade of Afterlife with Archie to be delivered. I do know that the girl twin is Cheryl, a supporting character introduced at least a decade ago as another love interest for Archie, she's a bit of a bad girl vixen. I don't know who the lesbians are. I do know that Kevin's father is a military man and Kevin wants to join the military after high school. The Married Life series set several years in the future has Kevin in the military. He may have been involved in ROTC at some point, besides things he's picked up as an army brat.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished Divergent yesterday.
    My review:
    This is a really good dystopian novel, pretty close to the quality of The Hunger Games but not quite up there in my opinion. I really enjoyed the world building here, with all of the different factions. I though the narrator Tris was a good main character. It had a good story to it too.
    Once I finished that I started the final Hunger Games book, Mockingjay.