Levar Burton aka Geordi La Forge criticizes Star Trek 2009

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

They changed disease designation canon? Oh sweet Zaltar!

*shakes fist*

DAMN YOU J.J. ABRAMS! DAMN YOU TO WHATEVER IS CURRENTLY THE DESIGNATION FOR AN APPROXIMATION OF WHATEVER YOU MIGHT CALL THE ETERNAL TORMENT AND FIERY PITS OF A NON-ENDING AND COLLECTIVELY DREADED HELL!

2. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

==
    Honestly, it's bordering on insulting whenever they call the audience (especially members of my generation) "dumb" or "ADD" (which by the way is actually known as "ADHD-I", it hasn't been known as "ADD" since 1994).
    ==

It's just as insulting to call those who are picky about their movies "snobs" or "elitist". Really, if JJ fans want to keep things civil, they have to realize it's a two-way street. Just because we don't see things the same way doesn't mean we're out of touch eggheads. I'm sorry to admit I'm a film school graduate. Sue me.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, I don't think you're sorry at all. ;)

And really, when are those who don't like Star Trek been called "snobs" or "elitists"? That doesn't happen very often. Usually people point out that you and your friends are unfavorably comparing Star Trek with a partial and idealized vision of what the original Star Trek series really was.

4. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I'm a film school graduate, too. It's misleading to frame the disagreement in terms of populism versus elitism. It's not as though Trek generally has some elitist value. It's always been popular entertainment aimed at a mass audience.

5. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Wow there seem to be an exorbitant amount of film school graduates on this board recently...

6. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

They grow us in pods. Soon we will be in command. The next Trek movie will be shot on b/w 16mm and feature no dialogue once we have our way...

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

When talking about film school graduates though, more often than not the operating word is not "film", it's "school".

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing. :guffaw:

9. BillJ

And it'll be no less Trek than the 2009 film was. :techman:

That's the argument I simply cannot understand. I have issues with the film but it is undeniably "Star Trek".

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We'll remake Star Trek: The Motion Picture in Dogme 95 fashion.

I'd say that objectively speaking, Wrath of Khan is a great movie. The Motion Picture, Undiscovered Country and First Contact are good movies. Insurrection and Search for Spock are alright.

The rest range from mediocre to horrifying.

11. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I posted twice, possibly out of some subconscious desire for emphasis.

12. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean subjectively speaking. I have yet to see objective criteria for evaluating a movie or any other kind of art, popular or otherwise. ;)

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nuh-uh. Trek XI was seen by millions of people who enjoyed it. A true Trek movie is only seen by a handful of people who immediately go online and bitch about what a waste of time it was.

Also, if Trek XI truly was Star Trek, where was the three-hour sub-plot where they discuss they're mission to save the Andorian ambassador?

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In my experience, it's the "snobs" who tend to take the turn down that street first.

15. BillJ

:guffaw:

16. BillJ

Well yeah. They have to tear down the film and the people who enjoy it so they can feel better about themselves.

17. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

This thread has 337 posts, 23 pages AND OVER 9000!!!! views. How did it go from Levar Burton talking about JJ killing Prime Trek timeline, to how many film school graduates on this board? I thought the debate on whether St 09 was really Trek or not was resolved 4 years ago. We are 2 months away from the next movie and the haters are still there. Why can't we give love one more chance?

18. BillJ

People like to put their credentials out there as they think it gives their opinion an air of authority.

Plus, Trekkies on both sides of the aisle like to bitch and moan. :lol:

19. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

It's DA INTAWEBS!!!

People will bring stuff up all the time about things that were well in the past. Sometimes that's a good thing, after all, we still have TOS forums on here with lively debate.

Sometimes it will be bad, when someone might make a thread about the NEXT Movie after STID, and someone will say "Why was Uhura missing sleeves on her uniform in Trek '09?"

20. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Come together my fellow Trekkies and Trekkers. Follow the Picard and Geordi example.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SPREAD THE LOVE!

* Images from From Toronto Comic Con 2013*