another 100 best movies list

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by stj, Apr 2, 2013.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

this is probably the first movie list where I have seen most of those movies. However, I have no idea why people love the Wizard of Oz so much. I HATE that movie.

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Good list, and likewise, made up mostly of movies I've actually seen. Some of the placements of one film over the other are strange, but that's almost always the case with such lists.

Kudos to them for also putting the entire list on one page instead of exclusively making you click through to each individual entry, which, on a list this long usually would make me just skip it.

4. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a nice list :).

Ones I've seen:

1. The Wizard of Oz — Danny Miller
    3. The Fellowship of the Ring — Myriam Gabriel-Pollock
    6. The Shawshank Redemption — Martha Brockenbrough
    11. Dr. Strangelove or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb — Kim Morgan
    12. Star Wars — The Empire Strikes Back — Bryan Reesman
    16. Airplane! — Jeff Michael Vice
    21. The Breakfast Club — Kate Erbland
    31. The Princess Bride — Martha Brockenbrough
    34. When Harry Met Sally — William Goss
    40. Blazing Saddles — Corwin Neuse
    42. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban — Myriam Gabriel-Pollock
    44. Star Wars: Ep. IV — Danny Miller
    47. The Big Lebowski — Mary Pols
    49. Forest Gump — Lauren Choi
    54. Apocalypse Now — Don Kaye
    58. Silence of the Lambs — Corwin Neuse
    59. Die Hard — Glenn Kenny
    64. WALL-E — Martha Brockenbrough
    69. A Fish Called Wanda — Noah Walden
    76. Back to the Future — Myriam Gabriel-Pollock
    79. Some Like it Hot — Richard T. Jameson
    89. Star Trek (2009) — Myriam Gabriel-Pollock
    94. Tootsie — Sheri Quirt
    96. Donnie Darko — William Goss
    100. Young Frankenstein — David Walker

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate Oz, but honestly I've never really seen all of The Sound of Music. Just looking at it, it looks like its not my kind of movie, and the parts of it I have seen haven't really wanted to make me see more of it.
    Fortunately I was never required to see The Sound of Music, but The Wizard of Oz was forced upon me several times as a child.
    And yeah, WTF happened to Alien?

6. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

Hmm. The Big Lebowski and Star Trek XI are higher than Seven Samurai? This list is a bit eccentric, to say the least.

I'm not a big fan of it either, although I recognize it as being "good". I'm pretty sure it's not the best movie ever.

7. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

Cause it's the one they made after they made Star Trek X. :P

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Lucas explicitly used a different numbering system (retroactively, in the case of the first film). The Star Trek movies have been referred to with sequential numbering.
    I count eight female contributors to that list.

9. stj

Women can contribute to a list for men 18-49.
    It's very chauvinist to imply they can't. :evil::rommie:

As these things go, this is a very good list, but it really does seem to be aimed more at men, most notably the disinterest in black and white. Also the resolute rejection of so-called weepers. Terms of Endearment for one could fit in. And I think one symptom, picking The Sound of Music over Cabaret.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

How is a "disinterest in black and white" indicative of gender bias? (For the record, I count 21 films on the list in black and white.)

11. stj

^^^Black and white means older movies. I've never heard/seen a woman reject a movie unseen for being in black and white, while I've heard/seen a number of men do so. Maybe that's some bizarre fluke in my personal experience. But sometimes you can't just wait for a scientific survey to tell you what to think.

Those of you who aren't interested in the list but some sort of weird carping aren't doing a very good job: I overlooked Terms of Endearment and that really is an error. Does that mean you lose because you missed it, or did you win because I made an error? No doubt this conundrum has to be solved in order to be a genuinely sensitive and tasteful judge of cinema

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As slang, I don't think that's particularly common, but I see your point. The list is certainly slanted to the contemporary more so than the Sight & Sound poll, for example, but it doesn't seem particularly bereft of older movies (depending, of course, on how old the movies have to be to be considered "older"). By my count, only 35 films on the list were released after the year 1980, and many of the films are significantly older than that.

On the specific point of women being more accepting of older films than men, my personal experience has indicated no such difference. But, of course, YMMV.

13. stj

One of the things that makes this a better (i.e., less cracked) list of best movies is that they are cautious about including every recent combined popular and critical hit that everyone can bring to mind. The reviewers tended to choose more films that have a claim to be able to stand the test of time. This list is even sensible enough that there isn't a lively discussion ragging on it for the weird choices. Even so, 35 from after 1985 is quite a lot.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

1980, not 1985. From the past ten years, I think the only film on the list is Star Trek (2009). I don't think either of us would choose that film if we were one of the list-makers, but for very different reasons.

And, to split hairs, according to MSN it is a list of staff favorites, not a list of the "best" movies.

What lists do you have in mind that are flooded with recent hits rather than established classics? The lists I have in mind (AFI's 100 Years, 100 Movies; Sight & Sound's critics' and directors' polls) are just the opposite.

15. stj

The kind of lists thrown done as occasional features by popular media. Or on a blog. No I can't remember an example, since those lists are so terrible for anything but tearing apart. It's true that the movies on this list are formally staff favorites, but who is interested in citing their worst taste, instead of their best? Except for a guilty pleasure list, that is. Not even Star Trek (2009) is justified on that basis.

The AFI and Sight & Sound lists are marked by an interest in films that are historically significant but not necessarily alive in popular memory. This is a perfectly valid approach of course. I posted a link to this particular list because it was a rare example of a different approach that wasn't fodder for humor. AFI or Sight & Sound lists would almost certainly include Avatar just for its role in popularizing new 3D tech, for instance.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Avatar was barely a blip in the latest edition (2012) of Sight & Sound's poll, which is conducted every ten years. AFI did their last top 100 film list in 2007, before Avatar's release, although I suspect they might swap it out in Titanic's place if they do another top 100 list in 2017.