Star Trek conventions!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by dreadpiraterose, Dec 21, 2008.

1. dreadpiraterose

dreadpiraterose Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey everyone.

I am a LONG time reader of TrekToday, but never really got signed up to the forums.

I was wondering if there was a specific place to discuss Star Trek conventions? If not, and this is the place, I was also wondering if there was a comprehensive list of all Trek cons in the US and abroad.

I write a blog called Convention Fans, which is about conventions for all fandoms (including Trek). And while I have found a comprehensive list of anime conventions, I haven't found one for Trek. I know there are some older ones out there, but half the links are broken. Anything current?

Thanks!

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dread your blog is great! It makes me want to dress up, LOL.

One suggestion, could you put in some kind of index so I can find specific fandoms?

3. dreadpiraterose

Unfortunately not really, on the separating it out. The Tags don't quite work properly, but that is supposed to be being fixed. There is a lot of general convention advice and such, which would be applicable to any con. You can select that stuff by using the categories on the lower right, such as Convention Advice and Convention Info.

4. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Nice blog, though I'm not a fan of the whole today.com thing. I'll be sure to pass it on to a few people I know it'll interest.

Have you ever thought of hosting a blog on your own server? Theres tonnes of free blogging/CMS software that would give you a lot more options to play with, as well as a unique design and layout.

5. dreadpiraterose

Blogging for Today.com is a paid writing gig. ;)

6. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Curious to know--are you at all knowledgeable in costume design? I've been starting to toy with the idea of creating something, but I have no idea if it's out of my skill--and price--range... ;)

7. dreadpiraterose

I, personally, cannot sew. I have a few costumes, most of which are pieces which were constructed already and I modified. I do know a lot of costumers though. Cosplay.com is a fantastic resources. They have people of all talents and abilities. Their forums would be a great place to ask advice and specific questions.

8. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Ach! Tell them to make it prettier ;) But I'll still be recommending, particularly to the cosplay crowd I know... which brings me perfectly ito...

I may not be an expert, and from the sounds of it cosplay.com (which I shall be looking at when the wines worn off) sounds like a better resource - but I'm too curious not to ask, what are you thinking of putting together?

I design a lot of my own costumes (mostly work related) which, for some reason, has made me insanely intrigued in other designs...

9. dreadpiraterose

Oh, I haven't really got anything planned for Trek. My current project is a steampunk costume.

10. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to create some Cardassian makeup for a sci-fi/fantasy convention in March. I'd go civilian...I am NOT about to try that armor; that is WAY too damn detailed and textured and I would not be satisfied. I'm trying to figure out how people create the makeup/appliances without it either a) falling off, b) looking stupid, or c) killing my pocketbook.

For the clothes, I'm thinking I can go with regular work slacks, but I'll probably just get a shirt from a thrift shop, something I can destroy without any real consequences. I may order a cloak, too...after all, it'll be March AND (just like the Cardassians) what most people think is an acceptable temperature in a public building tends to be on the nippy side for me. ;)