STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

My guess right now would be 300-325 domestic, 175-200 foreign.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

What total do you think will make Paramount happy and willing to do a sequel with a larger budget? I'm thinking $500 million (though I think it will do $600 million worldwide).

3. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is still to debut good markets: Russia, Italy, France, Japan, Spain, Brazil, South Korea and China.

I still bet on 250-300 foreign and 350-400 (USA and Canada).

If China could surprise I think it will do $700 worldwide.

4. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have no idea how much they spent on marketing, but I can't imagine a $500m haul being a failure, unless they just way overspent :) I think that $500m would be considered a success, especially considering how much competition it is facing, being between Iron Man 3 and Furious 6, and close to Man of Steel. Also, I am sure that DVD/Blue Ray sales also figure into the equation.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I have nothing tangible to back this up with whatsoever, but my feeling is $500m is the minimum "crack open the champagne" finishing line Paramount is aiming for. Anything more - the party just gets bigger!

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

A broad rule of thumb these days is that a worldwide box office take of around 2.5X the production budget will make a sequel a no-brainer (unless domestic box office is especially weak and/or there's some behind the scenes troubles). So a worldwide box office take of around $450-460 million is the target for STiD. 3X the production budget - around $540-550 million - and they'll be doing cartwheels.

2X the production budget, while disappointing, can still lead to a sequel if DVD/Blu-ray sales are especially strong and if the box office is tilted towards domestic box office, but that sort of return will usually lead to cost-cutting and re-engineering.

7. Chrono85

That's good, I feel mostly confident that there will be a third movie :) It just seems like, since the new film franchise is really the only thing going right now, that if the movie bombs, it could simply be the end of Star Trek. I think that they really need to consider getting a new TV series on the air. Maybe one focusing on Starfleet Academy could be cool :)

8. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I've read they've spent from 100m on marketing, but that seems way too high to me.

Though Trek blu ray in 2009 was a huge success, so that may factor into it.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

$100 million for worldwide marketing and distribution is pretty standard for a summer blockbuster these days.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

I'd guess that anything north of 450 million and they breathe a sigh of relief and commit to more Bad Robot Trek. I don't imagine they'll be thrilled if they fall short of 500, though.

11. Phily B

It's possible Star Wars might help out a bit in such a case? Much like TDK, IM1 and TA seem to have propelled even the most mediocre of comic book movies to being box office draws.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

I can't imagine Star Wars affecting this - Abrams's involvement in that would be a motivating factor for far too few people. Trufans, basically.

Now, if there were a trailer for the next SW movie attached to it...:lol:

13. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I hope Star Wars fans come out for this one. If only to see how JJ does at sci fi

I also hope there's a lot of Cumberbatchers out there, too. Enough to bring a new audience to this film

14. Chrono85

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Now Projected For $100M+ Opening Weekend

Lookin good so far :)

15. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Then add memorial day and good legs for 250 plus domestic! :)

16. Phily B

hmmm i'd think they'd hope for 300m domestic at least considering the last one made 250m.

17. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I would think that $300 mil domestic is realistic.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

ComicBookMovie is notoriously sloppy with it's reporting - and that's putting it politely.

What The Wrap is actually reporting is essentially the same thing Out Of My Vulcan Mind already reported - over 100 million for the extended opening including Thursday.

19. Chrono85

You really are 'Admiral Buzzkill' aren't you? ;) Extended opening or not, $100m sounds good, if it ends up being true! I think the movie will make $500m worldwide.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Fuck yeah.