STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:techman::techman:

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Cool, if I recall that site doesn't include blu rays either and DVDs are pretty cheap now, even new ones.

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I probably am being optimistic (which is against my nature) thinking MOS won't have legs and that will benefit STID. Still MOS is down to 65 percent fresh at Rotten Tomatoes (60+ reviews) and there are few effusively kind reivews among the positive ones. Ann Hornaday of "The Washington Post" (who loved STID) absolutely panned the movie on radio, today.

Actually, I was really hoping it would be better. I've always liked Superman more than any other comic book hero, and was rooting for a treatment of his character that would finally rise to the quality of the best treatments of the Marvel characters and Batman. As it is, I think I could miss MOS and not feel I missed out on anything special. So, I guess I'm going on a gut feeling that I'm not alone in that opinion.

Interesting note: In his "Chicago Tribune" review, Michael Phillips said there are $170 million worth of product tie-ins in MOS. He also said the crowd he watched the movie with exited the theater quiet and a little shell-shocked.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well, I'm seeing it this week-end. I have high hopes for it, and I hope DC/WB won't dissapoint me.

6. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I liked the film Watchmen, but I think the tone in that film is wrong for a Superman film. And I think that tone has been brought into MOS, which will weigh the film down. And, I think the people involved may have missed the point of Superman. I am reading that his persona as Clark Kent is largely missing from the film.

On the persona of Clark Kent, I remember a quote from Kill Bill, Volume 2. Bill, the head of an international assassin guild, observed that,

7. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you adjust for inflation, then ST2009's dollar figure is $1,400,394.

STID is going to bring in less box office revenue domestically than ST2009. Also, it's doing worse amongst the younger demographic (which studios covet).

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/star-trek-darkness-needs-younger-box-office-fast-194907698.html

8. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

How many times can one say, "Get of my lawn!" :scream: ? :wtf::eek:

:rofl::guffaw:

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

And its far, far stronger in international markets which was one thing that was very important to Paramount.

10. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

UK?!

What have they ever contributed to music?

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

newtontomato, you've been making a lot of posts like this lately - long on smilies and short on meaningful content. It wasn't all that funny to begin with, and now it's just not funny.

If you've got something substantial to contribute, then that's fine and dandy, but it really is time you stopped spamming.

12. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

13. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Be interesting to see what the weekend and ensuing week bring with Supes in the wings... but the legs are seemingly very good...!

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It has a site that tracks bluray sales but you have to pay for it.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The movie's doing just fine, and they're going to make another one like it.

16. khan2

khan2 Ensign Newbie

I'm sure the powers that be at Paramount would disagree with your assessment. While not a bomb, given a budget increase of over 26 percent and a massive marketing push, Paramount must surely be disappointed when examining their return on investment. Sure, they'll make "another one" but, unlike this one, they'll probably be far less generous with their purse-strings.

17. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

Don't get the dissapointment with the box office. Let us be clear, this will likely be the most successful Trek movie ever in terms of bums on seats.

Finally - Trek has made a worldwide splash and is popular in China and other emerging markets. This film will likely make almost half a billion US dollars!

The next one should do even better - especially if the foreign growth is continued.

Star Trek looks set to LLAP, which I am happy about.

18. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

The fact that STID will probably make less money domestically than Star Trek 2009 is disconcerting. Man of Steel will make things more unlikely STID cross the $257,730,019 gross of ST09 domestically.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then you would be wrong.

The movie's not doing the domestic business they might have hoped, but it's doing fine and there will be a sequel.

20. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Since "Star Trek Into Darkness" is making money, that means Prime Trek stays dead. Which means, more Bad Robot Trek will be made.

I don't have a problem with that. :techman: