MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sooo.... this quote is from a fellow Braves fan on Twitter, but I thought it was appropriate:

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Believe it or not, not everyone watches Mets games, so the vast majority of people have no clue what you're talking about.

(The Mets took BP and warmed up wearing #8 Carter jerseys, today.)

Although the Mets hid the retired numbers in the PARTY CITY DECK instead of putting them on the blue front wall. Fuck the Wilpons, always and forever.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

WTF? 12 years, $251 million for Joey Votto??? And from the Reds???

4. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Sage advice at most times.

I love the new unis though. No more black drop shadows, and the off-white homes are a little less off than in past years. They play like shit, but at least look sharp.

5. Timby

It's my understanding that the Reds are basically hoping to sign a television deal similar to the one the Angels just got (20 years, $3 billion) in the near future, which is where this money's coming from.

Or Nazi gold.

6. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Word. What the fuck were they thinking when they adopted that black monstrosity? The Jays made that mistake as well. I'm glad both teams are going back to their classic look.

7. SmoothieX

8. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes!!! The Rockies won their first game of the season and they looked solid!!! This is their season!! Smooth sailing!! Bring on the playoffs baby!!!
    Oh wait, they played the Astros... never mind.

9. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

The Twins seem to have picked up right where they left off last season- marginal pitching and weak bats. I still have hope that things will improve, though: The thought of another 99 loss season isn't a pleasent one.

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ And the Cubs have picked right up....with poor relief pitching.

And now, they've already made a roster move, sending infielder Luis Valbuena to the minors and recalling pitcher Rodrigo Lopez.

I think that gives them 12 pitchers, hope it'll be enough.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I have always liked the black uniform. I remember when they first introduced them, I couldn't wait to get the black cap.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think the Mets look good with black. Not every team can pull it off, but it works for them.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have always liked the black Mets gear. I wish I could get the black cap in an 8 1/2, but the cap company doesn't sell it in that size. I could only get the blue one. Which isn't bad, I'd just like to have a cap that matches my black jacket.

The one Mets uni I don't like is the off-white with pinstripes. I shouldn't say that, I know it's traditional, I just like the pure black and pure white ones. :shrug:

Eh? :confused: I know that there aren't a lot of Mets fans here, but surely most people who follow baseball have at least a passing familiarity with Gary Carter? Both from the '86 team, and also especially since his death has been in the sports news lately.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  14. Ar-Pharazon

^ Gary was one of those "Cub killers". Always scratching out a hit to win the game and breaking our hearts in the process.

15. Timby

I wasn't saying Gary Carter was an unknown (absolutely not :lol:), I was pointing out that you talking about a "lovely tribute" without actually saying what that tribute was made it a somewhat meaningless statement in context.

I basically spent the entire offseason making sure I had nonexistent expectations for the team this year, so my blood pressure is still under control.

Fun fact of the day: Chone Figgins currently has the highest OPS on the Mariners. [​IMG]

16. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And last night's Rockies game showed the Rox that I know and love. Way to be inneffective guys. Oh yeah, a 49 year old as your #2 pitcher is brilliant.
    Not a knock against Jamie Moyer, he seems like a decent guy, and had a pretty good spring, but he's old enough the be the Dad of some of the other guys in the rotation. Maybe coaching would be a better idea.

17. SmoothieX

Pinstripes and blue hats are the best in my book. I wish they'd have a blue alt instead of black, sorta like their BP jerseys.

I have the black cap with blue brim with the 2000 World series logo on it. It was what they had in the store when I went to get it.

I grew up on the pinstripes, so the black always seemed odd. I don't miss the 1980s pullovers with the racing stripes though.

18. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I totally agree with you, I would love an alternate blue jersey as well.

19. Timby

Mother of God. I don't expect the Cubs to win games this season, but I was hoping that Sveum would actually break them of their habit of swinging at the first fucking pitch of every goddamned at-bat. Motherfuck. I hope Theo gives a $2 million bonus to the first Cub to get 50 BBs this season.

Edit: Jesus goddamn Christ. Zimmerman threw 48 pitches in his first five innings against the Cubs. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  20. Ar-Pharazon

^ They managed to hold onto the lead today.

I've been waiting for Smardzija to be in the rotation since they drafted him. He did great today except for those unearned runs.