MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's about time we got the thread for the season going. Two games have already been played (And we have our first series split of the new year ;) ) and the rest of the teams get going later this week.

I'm looking forward to this season mainly because I just love the time of opening day and the start of a new sport. As for the first big Giants news this week of the new season:

Matt Cain Staying a Giant

Good signing and this means we can put to rest all the Cain to the Dodgers talk that was starting last week because of the 2 billion dollar deal.

Other things I'm looking forward to this baseball season:

-Going to a few Giants games. Always love going to AT&T Park

-Marlins BallPark. Despite all the talk about the home run thing in center field, I still want to see the ball park looks like and I will have that chance Wednesday night.

-What's going to happen in the race for the west. Are the Giants legit and who is the surprise San Diego Padres from two years ago. I still think it's a race between SF and Arizona, but for some reason Colorado worries me with Tulo and CarGo as a very good one two punch.

-The always possibility that the Red Sox, Yankees, or/and Phillies miss the playoffs

-Timby's rants on the ineptitude that is the Chicago Cubs.

Happy Baseball Season Everyone. :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Hey, now. The Cubs actually have a front office that's competent, now, for the first time since ... well, ever.

That said, they're still a 70-win team at best this season. It'll take a while for Hoyer and Theo's work to actually have some real effect.

Edit: Also, stop talking smack about the Dinger Machine. Any smaller, or less garish, and it'd be a strange contraption that everyone wouldn't get. There clearly was a threshold before which the thing just wouldn't work.

But because they went all out, it is both terrible and amazing. It is ten times the gimmick that the fucking Rally Monkey ever was. All shall love it and despair.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer the simplicity of the home run apple hat thing out at Shiti Field.

We'll see if it ever goes off now that they moved the fences in to little league dimensions.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That's way too much money for a #2 starter. Good luck trying to hold on to Tim Lincecum now, Giants.

Ugh, I really hope this season goes better for the Red Sox than last year did. I do like the changing of the guard, but I'm worried about Bobby Valentine because, well, he's Bobby Valentine. Also, Boston's rotation after Lester, Beckett, and Buchholz (who really needs to stay healthy this year) is pretty suspect. Doubront pitched well in spring training, so hopefully he keeps it going. And hopefully Bard's transition to a starter works out.

Oh, and I just found out that the guy they brought in to be their new closer, Andrew Bailey, apparently has some kind of thumb injury and might need to have surgery. Awesome.

5. tomalak301

Now I don't expect the Giants to hold on to lincecum, but he just signed a 2 year deal himself so that's still pretty good. As for too much money to pay a starter, I honestly believe with as high a signings as we've seen in baseball recently, and a bankrupt team being sold for 2 billion dollars, what we expect as revenues is changing in baseball. Yeah it is quite a bit (And there are shades of what happened with Zito here) but I am glad they locked up Cain for the long term. despite his win loss record, he is a great pitcher.

6. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a lot of buzz around the Blue Jays this spring, but I'm reserving judgement. Every year they jump out to a great start and then collapse. This team, as young as it may be, needs to prove that they can be consistent. With the Yankees getting older and the Red Sox in disarray, there is plenty of potential for them to be a serious player in the Wild Card Picture. But there is going to be some stiff competition, even if they manage to get second in the East.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay... I'm so sick of the Braves sticking with players that don't contribute. They managed to dump off Gonzalez and McLouth, but kept Jose Constanza. He hit .174 in September. He hit .174 in spring training. He's just not that good, but he got a bench spot.

On a better note, Tyler Pastornicky will take over at shortstop. So, now we have a rookie SS, a second year 1B, and a third year OF. I'm enjoying seeing the youth on this team.

Also, dumbass long relief pitcher Cristhian Martinez arrested for DUI. Link

8. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Can't wait for the Yankees @ Tampa! Should be a fun match. Here's hoping Yankees pitching can hold it's own his year.

9. SmoothieX

And in other news, the Mets have already been mathematically eliminated.

I'm moving to upstate NY later this month, and am pretty excited to be a half hour or so from a minor league team. I love going to MiLB games. It's short season A ball, so it's not exactly The Show, but I'll take $8 front row seats with easy parking. As soon as tickets go on sale, I'm getting a Hudson Valley Renegades mini-pack.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. Omaha has a Triple-A team (the Storm Chasers) and they play in a really cool park, but it's still too far away for me to go more than a couple of times a month.

At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that my own parents appear on Eric Hosmer's rookie card. :techman:

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

12. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Eh. Lincecum supposedly asked for an extension of eight years or more, which is basically code for "I'm definitely going to free agency, don't bother."

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Ah. Well, in that case, good job locking up Cain! :lol:

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Marlins rolled out Muhammad Ali in full swing Parkinson's and forced the crowd to do an Ali chant. Whaaaaat

15. tomalak301

That was uncomfortable to watch. I was so very much rooting for the no hitter to happen though. What a way to open a new ball park.

16. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

We just got a Minor League team of our own, the Pensacola Blue Wahoos, an affiliate of the Reds. They are going to play their very first game tonight, against the Montgomery Biscuits. And I'm going to be there. :techman:

17. SmoothieX

I went to the first game the Colorado Rockies ever played, which don't mean shit but it's fun to say I was at Shea that day.

The Hudson Valley Renegades will be my new old local minor league team. I took in their first game as well in 94. They're short season Class A, and I have no idea who they are affiliated with at this point, but they got pretty loud there the times I went. I made the mistake of sitting in the bleachers, with the idiots who decide rattling a metal bench is fun. Now I get a real seat.

I assume the Renegades name has something to do with the fact that there are two state prisons on either side of I-84 right nearby.

18. tomalak301

It's Opening Day and no runs have been scored at this point. We need more scoring in Baseball. Someone please do something or else the highlight shows will not have much tonight.

19. SmoothieX

I had the runs earlier, so no worries here.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lovely tribute to Gary Carter before the Met game today. Surprised that they didn't formally retire his number, but they've already effectively done it - #8 has never been issued since his time - so I guess that's enough. (Plus they may be saving it for when they retire #31.)

And am I the only one who actually liked the black Met uniforms? :scream:

Oh well. At least they won Opening Day, again.