SMALLVILLE

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jun 14, 2011.

?

Favorite Season Of SMALLVILLE?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2012.
  1. SEASON 1 (Pilot, X-Ray, Nicodemus)

20.6%
  2. SEASON 2 (Ryan, Rosetta, Calling)

14.7%
  3. SEASON 3 (Perry, Hereafter, Memoria)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. SEASON 4 (Crusade, Run, Onyx)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. SEASON 5 (Aqua, Lexmas, Reckoning)

17.6%
  6. SEASON 6 (Arrow, Justice, Phantom)

11.8%
  7. SEASON 7 (Kara, Decent, Arctic)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. SEASON 8 (Legion, Requiem, Hex)

11.8%
  9. SEASON 9 (Metallo, Absolute Justice, Salvation)

11.8%
  10. SEASON 10 (Homecoming, Icarus, Booster)

11.8%
  1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Ok it has been a month since the "Finale" of our favorite show SMALLVILLE...I have attached a poll to this...we can continue to discuss the series...if you are currently catching S10 like those in the UK or re-watching the series just for fun. :)

Here is a video that captures every episode from each season...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duw3SmvXj-Q[/yt]

One Destiny

And any current news regarding the show, like...
    Smallville Gets A "Best Dramatic Series" Leo Award!

:bolian:

NOTE: Please no trolling in this thread. Thank you.

The poll I have attached to the thread is "Favorite Season".

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Still got another 20 or so weeks till the finale airs this side of the pond.

3. highlander

highlander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool video Jetfire thanks! :techman:

I do miss the show but I don't think I have it in me to re- watch it yet. A friend of mine has all the seasons and will grab 10 when it comes out. Maybe in a couple three years it will be a fun thing to watch again. I have started re-reading the Death/world without/return of Superman comics, guess thats scratching my Superman itch.;)

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I so miss the show watched it stright through and plan to get the blu ray box set.

erica durance is such a hottie I'll miss her as lois lane.

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 5 was my favorite. I think they did a great job of building up tension, foreshadowing the coming of Zod. Also liked their take on Brainiac. I enjoyed just about every episode of that entire season, which not something that typically happens for Smallville with me. But from the first episode, with the emergence of Brainiac and Depeche Mode playing the background, it was on.

I don't know if I have it in me either to rewatch the series. I would like to cherry pick and watch a few episodes in every season, but I don't think that justifies me buying the series. Though I am tempted too. The series finale left me feeling good enough about the Smallville experience. Still hard to imagine I devoted ten years to watching it all come about though.

My tenative ranking of the seasons:

1. S5 (Everything came together in this season for me and left the show in the perfect jumping off point for a movie. I wish that they had made it into a movie series than Superman Returns)

2. S1 (Solid first season that sold me on the idea that a show about Clark Kent and not Superman/Superboy could be interesting. I also liked a lot of the freaks of the week and the songs at the end of each episode. Lana was so fine and the unrequited love angle was handled well enough. Lana was like the perfect high school girl to crush on. Hot but actually nice)

3. S2 (Building on the first season, I rank this one so highly because of Christopher Reeve's appearance. He passed on the torch and it was awesome. To be honest, I don't remember much of the season beyond that now.)

4. S8 (I thought bringing Doomsday to the show was a stupid idea, but you know what, they made it work. They actually made Doomsday a viable character, not the one-shot awesome engine of destruction that DC seems capable of only using the character as. Kudos to Sam Witwer for that. Even though the finale battle was too way short after doing such a good job building up the fight, I didn't mind them getting rid of Jimmy. It was stupid how they brought in the 'real' Jimmy Olsen though.)

5. S10 (Perhaps I'm still caught in the afterglow of the series finale, but I enjoyed S10 for the most part. I think the first half of the season moved 'rapidly' to finally have Clark reveal his secret to Lois and take their relationship to the next level. I also enjoyed the return of Lionel and Kara. I thought Darkseid was a great choice for big bad though I think they mishandled him. It was still great to at least see them attempt to take him on as well as his lieutenants. The anti-vigilante stuff reminded me of Marvel's Civil War, which isn't a bad idea to steal from, though I don't feel they handled it as well as they could have. As with most Smallville seasons, it was uneven and had its share of filler episodes, but the last hour delivered.

6. S3 (What I remember about this season was Emmanuelle Vaugier and the Godfather-style wipeout orchestrated by Lionel. Both were pretty awesome events.)

7. S6 (I ranked this season so lowly mainly because I didn't see all of it. Plus it took me a long time to accept Justin Hartley as Oliver Queen. I didn't like his acting. I did like the idea of the Zone phantoms, the finale with Bizarro was good (even though I think Chloe should've died in the finale, sorry), and the Justice League episode was one of the best in the entire series run.

8. S7 (I thought this season was okay. Liked the choice for Supergirl. Was intrigued with the El family drama. Veritas angle had potential, but I didn't care for the finale. Before that I didn't like Lex's final turn. Even though it should've happened seasons ago by this point, it felt rushed to me. I was cool to the season finale, where Lex learned everything as well. However, I think Rosenbaum did a great job acting wise. One of the few season finales I didn't like.

9. S9 (I liked Absolute Justice and Metallo. I liked the idea of bringing Checkmate in. I hate to say it but Pam Grier didn't do much for me as Amanda Waller. Would've loved if they could've gotten CCH Pounder or Garcelle Beauvais-who played a Walleresque character on Human Target that year). But this season ultimately didn't work for me because I couldn't stand Callum Blue as Zod. I thought he overacted.)

10. S4 (The weakest season for me because it was unfocused and went off on this weird Lana as witch tangent. I wish the writers had their acts together and tightened up the Veritas storylines to make the Teagues more influential in the overall scheme of the show. I did like Jane Seymour and Jensen Ackles, but I felt they were misused. That being said, the series finale was one my favorites (back in the day at least). For Onyx was in this season. That was a great episode.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

He was asked about it. It is not like he was just going around saying it to whoever would listen. Besides, his answers just seem like he's humoring the interviewer.

I remember talk of that earlier Smallville movie. It was right around the time of Superman Returns casting where people were thinking the movie was going to be a Smallville movie.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I really disliked this show.

Glad that it is done with.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I love responses like this.

People hate the show, so they watched it for 10 years. :lol:

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Picked season one.

11. Admiral_Young

@Dream...if you dislike the show why are you posting in a thread that is clearly meant for "Smallville" fans? I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just simply curious.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm not a hater. I liked seasons 1-3 and 5. I also thought Lex, Chloe and Lionel were cool characters. But the show went on for too long. The worst thing I can saw is how much potential it wasted, the writing got pretty dumb in the later years.

13. Admiral_Young

I agree with you that it went on for too long, and the writing was inconsistent. There was still some fun stuff they did though.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think if the series had ended in S5 or in S7 a SMALLVILLE movie would have been great...but I don't think one will happen any time soon.

I am torn between S3 & S5 for the poll. :shrug:

15. Admiral_Young

I chose season five.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I voted for season 5. It was the writing was the most complete all around. The actors and fully settled into their roles and hadn't yet started their aimless meandering of later seasons.

Marsters was great as Brainiac, and the Lex/Lionel clash was at it's best as both were amidst a transition.

I also think "Hidden" is the show's single best episode. It didn't fall into any of the traps the show was famous for. Mack and Glover were both absolutely brilliant, and it was the time where Welling (CGIed or otherwise) most closely embodied the essence of Superman.

"Arrival" was really the one time they did a season premiere right.

My biggest complaint with season five is how badly it represents a bicameral state congress, but I digress...

Season 3 loses points for not keeping Morgan Edge around more. Plus, replacing Rutger Hauer with Pat Bergin is a felony in some countries.

17. Admiral_Young

I think season five was the first season where Miles and Gough stated that they had written a finale for the show, but then got the green light from the network. There was IIRC at least two finales written that they admitted to. Season Five. Season Seven (the writers strike affected season). Brian and Kelly stated in an interview that some of what Miles and Gough intended for their series finale ended up in their script.

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I am guessing it was what was in Part 2 and not Part 1...Part 1 had Brian & Kelly written all over it...except the very beginning with Chloe.

I am gonna go with S3 for the poll.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Season 2 had one of the most memorable cliffhangers I've ever seen. That's the one where Clark's actions cause Martha to lose the baby and he runs off.

20. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

My favorite season are 2 and 8. Season 8 slightly edges out 2 for me, though. I love the build up throughout the season of the Davis Bloom character. When Doomsday makes his big appearance at the wedding it's a powerful moment. I also liked the way Chloe decides to give up her life with Clark and run off with Davis to protect her best friend. Yeah, her judgement wasn't the best but it was a test of heart, not mind. Also I wasn't bothered by the anti-climactic Doomsday fight because that was not what the season was building to. It was always about Davis, Chloe and Jimmy. Their confrontation was the big climax. Not Clark/Doomsday. I walked away from Season 8 fully satisfied.