Star Wars Sith-centric spinoff

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Wadjda, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

A Sith that doesn't use the Dark Side would be weird and I don't think it's fundamentally possible to use the powers of the Dark Side for good - at least, not in the long term. There seems to be two ways to be able to use the force effectively. One seems to involve lots of deep breaths and meditation and concentration. The other seems to be harvesting anger, hatred, etc. and using that to control the force. I think of it as similar to that time that Harry tried to use the Crucio curse and it didn't work because he didn't truly have hatred in his heart and truly want to inflict pain on another person. The feelings and emotions that power the Dark Side, when used long-term, are not conducive for good will to man.

Given this, I think the film would have to be on Siths as villains. I don't think this is a problem. Sony is making a Sinister Six movie, iirc. I also think we should avoid a tragedy of someone who gets seduced by the Dark Side because we've literally just had that.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

What I want to know is, do Sith have sex drives? Did the Emperor keep a harem of slave girls? Or are they all merely evil in the philosphical, red-lightsaber sense?

3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup. A Light Sith sounds like Sith-lite to me. Definitely not movie material.

Naah, nothing like that. Obviously since the Jedi Order forbids relationships, the Sith went the opposite route. They fall in love, get married, raise lots of kids, keep dogs and cats, take care of their parents in their old age, have lots of picnics and barbecues with all the neighbors, and slaughter anyone who messes with their family.

Kind of like "The Godfather" with lightsabers.

4. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

Some of the had families during the New Sith Wars. that's the closest thing i could think of. Look up Odion on Wookiepedia.

5. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

It's worth pointing out that both the Jedi and Sith codes are inventions of the EU, and therefore their canonicity was always dubious. Even moreso now that vast stretches of the EU are about to be officially turned into toilet paper.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, here's the thing: agree or disagree with the policy, there's a certain logic in having the Jedi abstain from raising families and living normal lives, as it allows them the maximum freedom and efficiency in serving their purpose of facilitating peace and helping others as best they can.

But what is the Sith higher purpose? Hurting others? Or ruling over them? And sure, the image of a family man Sith seems absurd, but if you're not going to start a dynasty, what's the point of ruling? Alternatively, if you're not going to get laid in every way you could possibly think of or want, what's the point of ruling over entire star systems and/or living forever?

7. Wadjda

John Ostrander's work will never be toilet paper. Everything about the EU now is speculation.

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sith-centric episodes is far different than an entire spinoff.

That "formula" is the heart of the concept. This is not an action-figure line, where the whole wave can make up a focus not in keeping with official storylines.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a Sith spinoff, when they need to find out if the return of the OT characters (by far the faces of the franchise) sparks enough interest.

9. Wadjda

Nope, it just has to ''feel'' Star Wars and those CW episodes very much felt like SW.

They are just playing it supersafe and hopefully they will only have just cameos. SW has such a huge pop culture recognition that even if the new movies would be set in a compeletly different era there would be a good chance for success.

10. TREK_GOD_1

The general public does not acre about CW. SW is a mass appeal concept--something the CW series did not share.

Not with a Sith-centric film or TV series. The only reason anyone is even remotely interested in the new SW film is the return of the OT leads--the faces of the franchise. If the new film focused on more hollow, growling Sith characters (in the vein of the overrated, overexposed Darth Maul), there would be no mass appeal. The same with a TV series.

11. Wadjda

Everybody knows what a lightsaber is and we have no idea how much a role if any the Big 3 will play.

It cannot be since it's a series that requires long term commitment.

12. TREK_GOD_1

There's no quicker way to piss off audiences than promising the return of the Big 3--only to sideline them in favor of new characters taking center stage...characters with no existing mass appeal.

Hell, the last prequel is barely 9 years old, and next to no one has fond memories of it.

Star Wars (like Star Trek) has its greatest cultural strength in the original characters, as played by the original actors.

...and that is the point: CW (or any other SW series) is not going to appeal to the masses in the way of the original trilogy.

There's no cultural strength in CW to match that 1977-83 series, as it was discovered with the Prequels--a series thinking one hundred lightsabers, Sith overload, allegedly superior FX, everything "bigger and better" and a lead practically screaming "i'm soooo dark! I'm Darth Vader!!" was Star Wars magic.

It was not.

13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^Now tell us what you really think. :p

14. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's not even remotely true. Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill and even Harrison Ford don't really mean much to kids these days...

Star Wars, on the other hand, is still a name that will draw the masses to the theaters regardless of who's in it.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Blatantly false statement.

16. Wadjda

They are cult movies because of the OT. Only Revenge of the Sith was good.

17. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I still consider ROTS in a class of it's own, outside the first two prequels.
    As for the idea of a Sith-centered spinoff, I'm inclined to think it wouldn't work, however the episodes of TCW that did pulled it off so well... maybe? Perhaps as a feature and not as an entire series.

18. Wadjda

I am pretty sure they would do only one movie first and i was never thinking they would risk a trilogy.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand how you are using "cult" - billion dollar franchises movies that spawn toy lines that generate many more billions are by definition not cult.

20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's amazing how partisan the PT/OT is when you consider that since a new generation of Sequel Trilogy fans will be growing up with 7 8 and 9... someday we will have to listen to their sanctimonious soapboxing over the superiority of the trilogy they grew up with.

I certainly know some younger folks who are all about the PT and don't care for the OT. I understand that position. It's all nostalgia. Heck, I even feel the nostalgia for the 2000s in the PT already. Like those Jar Jar Binks frisbees and Phantom Menace pogs from KFC! :)

Last night my wife (who hates Star Wars and falls asleep 20 mins into any of them) was able to correctly identify Maul and Grevious as I played Battlefront II. I couldn't believe it. Like it or lump it, elements of the PT are iconic already. Time passes and certain things just stick.