Crafts for a birthday party

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by trampledamage, Nov 30, 2012.

1. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Yet again, I've forgotten that I need to organise little miss trampledamage's birthday party before Halloween because otherwise everything's already booked up - her birthday's on the 10th December.

So Plan A - cinema and Plan B - party at the gym have both failed, so now we're at Plan C - party at our house (not my favourite choice, too much tidying!)

I'd like to have some crafts that we can do, so there's a bit of structure to the party (don't need to organise much because most of the party will be eating pizza and watching a movie :) )

Which brings me to you guys - anyone have any suggestions for a fun and easy craft for a bunch of 8 year olds?

thanks!

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Tape/glue white paper to a bunch of pointy-party hats and let the kids color in their own with pens and crayons.

3. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Any type of thing? Something they can dress up in, or some sort of modeling clay, or something to take home and use?

4. st.barthgirl

st.barthgirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

How Many Kids? 8, or more? Budget? time of day? Food? Will other parents be in attendance? oooooooooh, FUN!

5. trampledamage

I was thinking something they could make and take home.

And probably about 8 kids, assume no other parents in attendance.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever you do stay away from glitter.

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

You could make cupcakes and let each kid decorate their own. Friendship bracelets or poster-board masks are some things I made with my nieces.

8. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Ahhh...I was a Girl Scout for 7 years and an elementary school teacher after that; I know crafts!

It's close to Christmastime, so if the girls celebrate, here's a crafty way to make ornaments:
    1. Get a jigsaw puzzle and have the girls paint it green with tempera paint (or paint it yourself and let dry first if you're worried about messes
    2. Give children old Xmas cards they can cut pictures out of, circular, approx. 3in in diameter. Provide circular stencils and pencils because children at this age can be easily frustrated trying to draw a circle.
    3. Glue painted puzzle pieces around the circle, in a couple of layers. If there is enough adult supervision use hot glue guns, if not, paste.
    4. Use ribbon to glue a bow to the top or bottom
    Result looks like a wreath around the picture, and they turn out super cute.

Next up, the fabulousness of Mod Podge:
    1. Get a shit ton of glitter
    2. Get Mod Podge, mix with glitter
    3. Paint things with your new glitter Podge! Great for decorating pendants for necklaces, canvass (they could do tote bags, coin purses, pillows, sneakers, etc), picture frames, and so on

Paint tee shirts:
    1. A bunch of plain little girls' tees will be cheap, you could probably buy an 8 pack at KMart for $12.
    2. Provide stencils and sponges and let girls paint away. Normal acrylic paint will do, though you can also find special fabric paint at an arts and crafts store.

Some other ideas:
    -beading
    -macrame friendship bracelets

9. trampledamage

Oh, we did do t-shirts a couple of years ago and that was a success! We could do that again, especially if I can get different paints.

The puzzle wreath idea sounds really cool too.

Cupcakes could work - you get the additional eating time too, which is always a bonus :lol:

Friendship bracelets is something I'll definitely try just me and little miss, I think they might be too complicated for a group activity though. Beading could be fun though.

Great ideas, guys, thanks! Any more?

10. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

The puzzle things reminds me of something we did in school, where we took puzzle pieces and glued them together to make ornaments. I remember I did mine in the shape of a candy cane and then painted it red and white and put glitter on the whole thing.

One thing we always did on my birthday was just taking tissue paper or wrapping paper and getting in groups and making outfits which would then be judged by the birthday girl. Hilarious and lots of fun.

11. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I was just about to suggest strippers....

But they are only 8.

12. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I love the fashion show idea, ]Kestra, sounds perfect for girls that age!

You could take a quick photo of each of them "walking the runway," as it were, and print them off your computer. Let them decorate little frames and take them home.

13. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Look on Pinterest!! You're bound to find ideas.

14. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

saw a craft in a magazine at work yesterday and thought of this thread. Nice simple supplies for it.

They made a cone out of poster board for a tree shape, then took coloured muffin liners, cut out the inside and taped them in layers on the tree shape. Was a really cute little tree when they were finished.

http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/cupcake-liner-christmas-trees/

15. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe they are already too old for this but it's fun and fits the season: paper stars
    You take a square sheet of paper and fold it into a triangle. Then you fold it again and again, as often as you like. Then with a pair of scissors you cut little bits out of the folded edges or from the tips. When you unfold it, you have a pretty star. These stars make lovely tree ornaments or can be stuck to the window.
    Instead of normal paper you can also use metal foil or (round or square) paper doilies
    These links are in German, but the images will give you some ideas :)
    http://www.tatting.de/bk/BK/sterne.html
    http://www.ytti.de/einfache-weihnachtssterne-basteln-zu-weihnachten-15858/
    [​IMG]