Oz: The Great & Powerful pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Nov 15, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since there wasn't an overall pre-release thread for this, I figured I'd go ahead and start one.
    Poster:
    [​IMG]
    Story:

Trailers

Cast:

I love Raimi's first two Spider-Man movies, I'm a big fan of most of the cast, and I've loved most of the footage that's been released so far, so I'm really looking forward to this.

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Which wicked witch are the wicked witches worried about?

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The trailer looked fun. A bit too Charlie and the Chocolate factory, but it's a modern take on an old classic, so that might be inevitable. I like James Franco and I think they could do a lot with the Wizard, so it could work. I'll wait for reviews, though.

Although I'm guessing this will contradict Wicked ;)

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Listened to the trailer before my Skyfall showing. (I generally like to skip trailers entirely, but the seats in this theatre didn't allow for easy entrances/exits.)

Sounds like yet another "unlikely stranger becomes phrophesied savior, because young white people are the best" flick. A stylistically identical remake of Burton's Alice, except with a guy. Why can't we ever get a story about two people entering a strange land, but our protagonist is the dude who isn't the chosen one? He could still have wild adventures; heck, if the actual chosen one becomes more of a general figure than a front-lines fighter, the non-chosen one could actually wind up with the more interesting story. You could still have Joseph Campbell's Hero formula, but add at least a little twist for flavor...

... Looks like my beloved Rachel's streak of mediocre bigger-ticket movies continues. Fred Claus, not-Bourne, Dream House... get a new agent, hon! :(

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd very much prefer a straight adaptation of Gregory Maguire's Wicked. That was a rather fun book that never felt rehashed and took the universe seriously in terms of fantasy elements.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

LOL, a straight adaptation of Wicked? That wouldn't be Wicked anymore ;) Speakng of the adapatation of Wicked, what's going on with it? Last update on IMDB page is from July 2012, with a targeted release date of 2014, but, no details are provided. Is that still moving forward, or is it in Development Hell? Also, I've heard some accounts that it's an adaptation of the Musical, and other accounts that it would be instead based on the book, has that decision even been made?

I am looking forward to Oz: The Great and Powerful. I almost never venture to the theaters, so, I won' see it in the theaters, but, anxiously awaiting it to be released on DVD when it's time comes. Hoping it's gonna be good.

7. Gaith

My guess is that, when faced with the prospect of going up against a Raimi movie (franchise, no doubt) backed by Disney, whoever was considering funding a Wicked adaptation thought better of it. The projects may have been dueling at one point, but I don't think this is going to end up being an Infamous vs. Capote situation. ;)

8. Owain Taggart

Did you mean that the studio would likely mangle it up so much to the point of it not being the same? If so, then, I'd unfortunately agree. But I still would love to see something of that nature rather than what we're getting, and I've also heard of the movie being based on the musical, where the musical is completely different in tone. They basically only share the name.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I was being facetious and using "straight" as "Heterosexual" or "Normal" :lol: which Wicked certainly is not, considering the implications of Elphaba/Glinda relationship, The Philosophy Club, Frex/Melina relationship with Nessa Rose's father, etc.

But, yea, what I've heard of the Musical, I wouldn't be nearly as interested in an adaptation true to the musical, as I would be an adaptation true to the book

10. Owain Taggart

Ohhhh, I see. Totally didn't see that LOL.

Yeah, what I'd like to see is a LOTR style adaptation, making it into the epic the book was rather than a musical, because the book was rather deep and rich, often expanding on the universe Frank L. Baum created, and I can't see why that approach couldn't be done to the universe. Rather, because of the popular musical, we keep getting something campy, and I think the universe deserves more than that. There's so much potential too, as the novel really expanded on the diversity of Oz. The trendy thing now is darker movies, and Wicked seems like a perfect vehicle for that.

11. Gaith

Just realized this may be my only chance to ever see Weisz in three dimensions. Guess that means I'll have to buy a ticket in spite of my overall neutrality towards the project.

... Well played, Disney. Well played. :p