MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Christopher, May 2, 2013.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While the Science channel is still airing certain "selected" episodes until the wee morning hours, the network finished an "entire series" long mega-marathon about 2 hours ago. Yes, starting at some point on December 24, the Science channel supposedly aired every episode from those produced in 2003 all the way to the latest 2014 broadcast focusing upon tooth bullets and airplane boarding techniques. (The segment saying goodbye to Kari, Grant and Tori was not repeated. Probably because that would be considered too much of a bummer to long time fans of the "Build Team".) :(

No, I didn't watch all of them as they aired round the clock, 24 hours a day, but during my Christmas vacation, I've had the TV "locked" on that station, playing in the "background" as I dabbled in some digital artistic endeavors. I really wish I could have caught those earliest episodes, but I was still at work for the majority of the 24th. I tuned into the marathon during the 11the episode when they were testing if a marching regiment of soldiers could shake apart a bridge. Seeing so many "back to back" makes the departure of the Build Team all the more depressing.

I also noticed that Adam Savage appears to be quite accident prone compared to Jamie Hyneman. At least, the episodes were edited to focus more upon Savage's mishaps. Maybe the producers just found Adam to be funnier when injured. For all we know Hyneman may have been hurt more often, but his reactions may have been dour and less interesting for the cameras. That's just speculation, of course.

Nothing really insightful to report other than being amazed stations are experimenting with broadcasting entire bloody series, all episodes, one after another, rather like FX did recently with "The Simpsons". How times have changed! I remember when it was a major event when a local network TV affiliate aired 4, maybe 5 Star Trek episodes during the late hours of Friday or Saturday night. This was the late 70s when "the original series" was the only series and stations had "sign off" hours. But to run a 200+ episode series in a single marathon, I could not have imagined that unless I were "wired" from too much sugar laden breakfast cereal. Hey, I was a teen living with his nearly 80 year old grandmother. That's the strongest "stuff" I could get. ;)

Hmm, I wonder what the ratings will reveal?

Sincerely,

Bill

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Think Adam gets in there a bit more that what Jamie does but there are times when they both have to overcome various phobias to pull things off.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

As Jamie said in one episode, Adam tends to rush into things without thinking about them first likening him to a bull in a china shop. Which seems true, Adam certainly has his moments of brilliance and stuff but he does seem a bit more accident prone.

My DVR has been recording the episodes, requiring me to have to keep up with it and delete episodes I've seen recently, wasn't interested in seeing again (like compilation episodes, BTS episodes.) It's been fun rewatching them but I did notice that some episodes I remembered didn't seem to be aired so it didn't seem like this was a strict replay of the entire series.

Unless the episodes I missed *did* air and forwhatever reason the DVR didn't catch them. (No conflicts would have been there to prevent recording, but it does seem at times my DVR is "selective" in what it records even with series its told to record all of, even repeats.)

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Was this before or after they busted the bull in a china shop myth? :D As we saw, an actual bull in a china shop is a lot more cautious than Adam...

(Or Tory. How much mileage did they get out of that footage of him trying and failing that bike jump over a wagon?)

Although I'm still not entirely convinced by their methodology for the bull myth. If the bull had been indoors, it might've been more panicked than in an open corral with a few shelves in it.

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

And now the channel is back to running "How it's Made" all weekend. Jeesus.

6. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I'm still not happy about the build team being dropped from the show, but it seemed to be running out of steam anyway after so many seasons. Even Mike Rowe ran out of dirty jobs to do after a while, though he now appears to have a similar gig on CNN.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  7. Christopher

Watching assorted episodes in the marathon over the past few days did somewhat drive home how much slicker, and in some ways more superficial, the show has gotten in recent years. It'll be a good thing if the new season does get back to basics and focuses more on the in-depth process.

8. Christopher