New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 22 2014, 03:03 PM   #286
Christopher
Writer

Re: ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

sojourner wrote: View Post
They didn't kill him because of his particular work. They killed him to bring attention to their cause.
It was both. If there was any chance at all that Bella was a genuine strong AI, or was a major step toward its achievement, then in their view, that made her a threat to humanity and she needed to be strangled in the crib, as it were, before she could evolve into something like Skynet. Yes, they wanted to expose the risk of this research in general, but they also wanted to neutralize the specific threat posed by Bella, in a way that would both lead to her destruction and be public and shocking enough to put pressure on other AI researchers to abandon any similar projects.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2014, 03:01 PM   #287
May 20
Consumer of cookies and milk

Aragorn wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post

Although it does seem a bit extreme (even for a paranoid conspiracy theorist) to go through all that trouble to kill a guy based on the very slight possibility that he might have created a real AI. You'd think they would want much stronger proof to go on first, since, as Sherlock says, most efforts so far amount to little more than "really clever programming."
They didn't kill him because of his particular work. They killed him to bring attention to their cause.
The show takes place in New York and on CBS. Obviously Samaritan had him killed.
That makes perfect sense.

If stress burned calories, I'd be a size 5.
May 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #288
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Last night's episode left me a little indifferent.

The absence of Watson helped us to see what Holmes and Winter are like as a team. We also got to see how Winter interacts on her own with the cast members such as Gregson without Holmes or Watson hogging the scene's space. That said, I'm not sure she's come into her own as a character yet, and she still feels quite undefined.

Gregson's personal problem, though not without its points of interest, felt like a random sideplot in the TNG B-plot style. It was almost like the producers said, "Hey, we need to give Aidan Quinn something to do," and what they gave him to do just sat there.

The pursuit of the case also didn't feel up to Elementary's norms. This episode felt like an early first season episode, when House was more like "House with murders." Every commercial break, the solution that had been building was shown to be wrong, and in the next act Holmes and Winter started from scratch.

The subplot about Watson's book, however, was interesting, and I'd like to see how that develops. I would like to point out to Kitty that frying the laptop in that way is unlikely to make the data unrecoverable.

Some good points to the episode, but overall I was indifferent. When you do twenty-two episodes a year, that happens.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #289
Christopher
Writer

I pegged the real killer pretty early on. Having his name on the hit list did seem like a red herring.

I was wondering when they were going to get back to the thread of Watson starting to write about Holmes. Odd that they picked it up in an episode without Watson, though. I hope this isn't the end of it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #290
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I can imagine Holmes overreacting "If you are sleeping with my associate captain Griegson, then I have no choice but to start sleeping with your daughter!"

Whatever they do with the daughter, she had best not disappear, because she is the most exquisite landmine if I ever did see one.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote