Changeling - Discussion, Grading, Review, Spoilers opens 10/31

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captain Craig, Oct 28, 2008.

?

How do you grade Changeling?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2009.
  1. A+

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. A

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. A-

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. B+

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. B

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

My grade: B
    Saw this last night at a sneak and I must say I liked the film. It comes in at 2hr20min, something I did not know. Its time wasn’t an issue except that I felt the movie was going to end 2 different times during the last 15min of the movie. That is my one jarring issue.

The movie begins in March 1938 and establishes our characters. I really don’t want to give a blow-by-blow account. What I want to do is let anyone else going to see it to know that the movie does not end until dateline 1935 is shown at the bottom of the screen. Perhaps you’ll not feel the same thing I did just knowing this.

I’ve seen some reviews that use adjectives like somber, flat, unenergetic and insipid to describe not only Angelina Jolie’s performance but also the feel of the movie. I’m not sure we saw the same movie. She, John Malkovich and the entire cast give some strong performances in this true story period piece directed, produced and scored by Clint Eastwood. Yes, Clint did the score also because at 78 just directing, producing and acting in his other self-directed movie Gran Torino just wasn’t enough to keep him busy. The screenplay was also done by Michael Straczynski (aka comics writer Spiderman and Babylon 5 creator).

Angelina gives us working professional mother, worried mother, angry mother, confused mother and vindictive mother all in this movie. She shows a range of emotions so how some critics can say she and/or the film are flat or unenergetic is boggling to me.
    Malkovich as a justice-seeking pastor in the film plays a very righteous man with a cause.
    The film has very muted colors I agree. Its not a vibrantly toned film so I’m not sure if this plays into the critics thinking. I feel Clint shot it in this manner to give it a timelier feel. The muted colors make it seem as if its just one step or so away from looking like a sepia colored photograph.

Its another good Clint Eastwood film and a really good dramatic piece from Angelina Jolie. I would hesitate to say great, its just a few shades from that for both imo. However is you’re a fan of cinema beyond just explosions and gore then you should give this film a chance. It’d be a shame to see this film fall into the same cinema void that befell Miracle at St.Anna.

2. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I gave it a solid A. The performances by everybody from child actors on up were excellent with an extra mention of Jason Butler Harner as the odd, twitchy Norchcott.

I've seen the reviews with complaints of 'too long' and 'false endings' and didn't experience that. It's unusual for me to not check my watch at least a couple of times during a movie and that didn't happen at all. As for the false endings I can almost see that, as there were a couple of places where they could have faded to dark and the audience would have left satisfied. I think the true ending is best, though, and where I'd expect it to end in a script by JMS.

BTW, for those who are familiar with B5, there's a line said a couple of times that you'll recognize. It's in some of the previews, too. I like to think the fans are being waved to from behind the screen.

Jan

3. Captain Craig

I'm surprised more BBS'ers haven't gotten around to seeing this. The board usually has a fair amount of people who'll see this type film.

4. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

One issue might be that according to Deadline Hollywood Daily, it's only in 1,850 theaters as opposed to over 3,000 for Saw V and over 2,700 for Zack & Miri. Even so, it finished 4th for the weekend.

Jan

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I just haven't gotten around to it. Plus, the reviews haven't been all that praise-worthy, which is not what I'd expect for an Eastwood film. Lately, he's been an excellent director (with four great melodramatic films to his name in less than a decade), but the notices haven't been as good as I was expecting.

I will see it, but it may be a while.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I'm looking forward to seeing this. We'll probably try to catch it next weekend. The cast and the plot of the film look appealing.

7. Captain Craig

A coworker of mine saw it over the weekend and raved to me about it cause she knows I'm the "movie guy" in the office. Then asked if I saw it.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I just got back from seeing it and it's excellent. A+ Clint and JMS did a fantastic job. If you've not seen it check it out.

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Trust me ... I will probably be taking this in, but with movie prices as high as they I have to be pretty judicious. I do confess that my main reason is because jms wrote the screenplay, as it's not the type of film I normally go for until it's out in the libraries.

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Just saw this today. Took my mother in law to see it. We all liked it very, very much. There's a lot going on in this film--a missing child, the audacity of the police, an innocent being victimized, a crime of terrible proportion, and a mystery. It's a really good film--not perfect; I think the second half meanders a bit, and the last line is VERY corny. However, the acting is superb and the film keeps you guessing. It's subtle (most of the time) and lets you draw your own conclusions.

I really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it. I give it an A-/B+

11. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw it, excellent film.

12. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Excellent film, I gave it an A+. Easily one of the best movies I've seen. The only possible complaint I have is about Jolie's physical look ... She appeared to be emaciated ... I've seen straws thicker than her arms. I kept wanting her to eat a sammich or something.

13. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

I saw this film 4 nights ago, and all I can say is:

JMS wrote an "A+" script! :bolian:

14. Captain Craig

This one should get some award attention. I fear though that if Clint Eastwoods Gran Torino is also as good as early reviews suggest then the Academy voters may pick one over the other.