Are there any average joe Starfleet officers left?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Hartzilla2007, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thinking about it, it seems these days Starfleet officers are all uber important special awesome person and/or has a fancy new ship type or at least is rather fancy for the part of Starfleet they're in.

So I was wondering if there were any regular people in bog standard starships left at this point.

2. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

The Shoveller: “We're not your classic heroes. We're the other guys.”
    Mystery Men

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Of course there are. They just don't get the exciting stories.

4. fancealot

fancealot Ensign Newbie

Well there must be, I mean the ent E has room for 750 crew, the new DS9 could hold 13000, so there must be some regular joe officers around just out of camera shot

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

O'Brien...good point. I think he qualifies.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I thought people like Sonia Gomez was your Joe Blow Starfleet personnel. Her goal wasn't to be a captain or anything, she just wanted to serve aboard the Enterprise. Also, he may have teleported people from time to time but TNG's O'brien was a family man more than anything else.

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

He's not an officer. He's an enlisted man.

8. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Technically, he's a noncommissioned officer, of at least chief petty officer rank or, more likely (given his duration of service and senior-staff billet), a senior CPO. (But probably not a master chief petty officer, or else someone would have called him "master chief" by now.)

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Hey Mr. Laser Beam, did you beat me to bringing up O'brien or edit your post to agree with me before I said it?

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ No, I edited it because you reminded me of the character, I should have been more clear on that point. I had totally forgotten about O'Brien. :alienblush:

11. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Don't forget (one of my favorite TNG episodes) "Lower Decks". :)

12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reflexive philosophical question: was there ever a "bog standard starship" to begin with? :-)

13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

There were average Joe personnel in bits of Destiny. Another example is the SB 185 personnel in VOY: Protectors.

14. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I would assume the average regular people would be enlisted and non-coms, just like the current military structures.

15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I can't help but imagine Miles O'Brien in green MJOLNIR Spartan combat armor now.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And then he had to go and design the new DS9.

Seriously he works in a space station of (partially) his own design.

Plus he tended to rub elbows with a space Jesus, the only augment allowed in Starfleet, the adopted brother of the ruler of the Klingon Empire, The latest incarnations of an ancient alien who's predecessors were a federation diplomat, and a science officer who married into a Klingon great house. And the accidental surrogate mother for his first born son was dating the head of the Bajoran government at the time and before that was dating the guy who almost became the Bajoran Pope.

Even the guys who start out average joes get elevated to awesome.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always assumed that we just followed the most interesting and noteworthy people in Starfleet, while there are thousands of average people working on ships going on less extraordinary missions. There are probably also a lot of "average joe" crew members of the ships we do follow. Most of the ships have at least hundreds of crew members while follow just a small handful of them.

18. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

O'Brien, and I think Gomez, were mauve shirts.

19. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought that the point of Starfleet was that their guys were not just average in any way.

Though there does seem to be an attitude seeping in to Treklit that is similar to what has happened in Marvel comics.
    I hate to see characters acting with a "cooler than thou" rock-star attitude.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I tend to think of them as being a bit like Contact in Iain M. Banks's Culture: For most people in the Federation, life is easy and utopian and fulfilling, but people who crave more challenge and excitement go into Starfleet.