Disney's Frozen - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CaptainCanada, Nov 30, 2013.

?

Your grade?

1. A+

28 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. A

22 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget, Frozen is getting another kick with the release of the Sing Along version. I know that feels gimmicky, but this is a brilliant marketing strategy from Disney, especially with the Oscar nominations already announced.

By the way, I bought the soundtrack after I got home from seeing it and it's really the only thing I've been listening to all weekend. Well worth the purchase.

2. tomalak301

I don't think I've gravitated to a soundtrack anymore than I have with the Frozen Soundtrack. I loved it in the movie and actually bought it when I got home. Just curious, does anyone actually like the Demi Lovato version of "Let it Go"? It doesn't compare to Manzel, but really how could it. The more I listen to Demi's version the more I just find it a catchy pop song. Nothing wrong with that really. Perhaps it's just turning into a guilty pleasure.

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I think it's a nice variation of the original. There's nothing "wrong" with it and it's a very good performance in its own right ... it's just that Manzel's version is so damned powerful that a comparison is almost unfair.

4. tomalak301

That's what I mean, and Disney has been doing this even during the Golden Era. They had the songs in the movies, but they also had Celine Dion doing Beauty and the Beast, or Peabo Bryson doing A Whole New World, or Elton John doing 3 songs from The Lion King. There is comparison, just songs that were done as radio friendly songs from the movies.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't Elton John already sing the songs in the movie?

6. tomalak301

During the credits. Same with Lovato.

7. Greylock Crescent

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk[/yt]

I think, because it's the character herself singing the song, Manzel's rendition - as the character's performer - becomes the definitive version.

Whereas, in the Lion King, for example, the song is kind of a "voice over" - which leaves Elton John's version more able to take on a life of its own.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I really like that Disney did two versions of "Let It Go" for Frozen, one in the movie and one during the credits. It reminded me how they did it all the time during the Disney Renaissance Films.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The only time I really choked up was the first verse of "Do you want to build a snowman?" Little Anna looked so sad when she sang "Okay, Bye," it was heartbreaking.

"Let it Go," didn't choke me up at all. I was too busy looking at the ice palace like this :eek: and thinking Elsa was bad-ass from then through the rest of the movie.

I'm just not crazy about Demi Lovato. From Camp Rock onward most of her "singing ability" stems from being able to scream on key. Her version is the first time i've ever heard her actually carry a note...and she doesn't carry them anywhere near as well as Idina Menzel.

10. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I did cry during Let it Go on first viewing and cried again during Let it Go when we saw it a second time. So, it got to me.

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

A friend of mine wrote this about the movie:
    A thought that came to my mind when Elsa built her snow fort was, "And how and what is she going to eat?" :)

12. Greylock Crescent

^ No mystery there. She's going to live off the carcasses of slaughtered sentient snowmen.

I'm planning on taking my daughter to a sing-along showing of the film sometime this weekend. I'm looking forward to it.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's a common Disney trope that Disney parents are dead or dies at the start of the movie. That or the mother is dead/absent/evil while the father is the scatterbrained well meaning parent.

14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Here's a movie idea... Disney Parents and the Redshirts...

15. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

We're on Long Island and went to the UA Westbury and saw the sing along version last night. It was a lot of fun, movie was mostly packed and a lot of kids and adults sang.

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Woman cannot live on snow alone. :)

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

If she can conjure up that gorgeous dress... she can conjure food.

18. js

js Captain Captain

Frozen food.

C'mon - someone had to say it! :D

19. Greylock Crescent

It's too bad the UA Westbury had such a late start time today. I went to the Raceway theaters over by Roosevelt Field this morning because they had a 10:30 showing ... but they had no sound for the film. It was a shame, because the theater was comfortably filled with parents and kids who were really looking forward to the show (different groups of kids spontaneously broke out into various renditions of "Let It Go" during the eerily silent previews and such - really cute).

But after thirty minutes past the start time with no sound ... I walked out accepted free passes and free small popcorn vouchers ... then went to a small, nearly empty theater in Great Neck.

It didn't have the same festive feeling as the Raceway did, but my daughter had a blast, though ... and that's what matters most. Sure, it helped the movie make more this weekend than last weekend, but it really was a neat experience for fans.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral