When did voyager go wrong?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 27, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anwar.. you really do take liberties of posting on behalf of the "audience" quite often. Sure you have your views and opinions, and do feel free to voice them. But please give us the same courtesy too. I can formulate my own opinion without your posting what it is/should be. :)

2. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 2. Season 2 is where it went wrong.

Season 1 actually had a handful of episodes that dealt with the uniqueness of Voyager's situation. Sure, it was a mistake to make things as neat and clean as they already were at the end of the pilot, and having the second episode ever be a mostly routine spacial anomaly plot with a more relevant b story didn't help. But there were also signs of life in episodes like "Prime Factors" and "State of Flux", even if the latter is hurt by the useless and boring villains Seska and the Kazon ultimately became in season 2. The Kazon sucked even in season 1, but there were a couple episodes with the Vidiians, and they had potential to be interesting. Hell even Neelix got something of a standout episode in season 1 with "Jetrel", and Neelix is second only to Harry Kim on my list of most hated Voyager characters.

Looking at a list of season 2 episodes is like looking at a list of my most hated episodes ever. "Elogium". "Non Sequitur". "Twisted". "Parturition". "Resolutions". F'ing "THRESHOLD". No season of Trek is immune from having its share of failures, but this is just pushing it. "Death Wish" and "Lifesigns" are about the only two from this year I'd ever sit through again without a gun to my head, and "Death Wish" could have happened on any modern day Trek show. I'll throw in "Cold Fire" too because it actually gave Kes something to do for one of half a dozen or so times before the show cruelly threw her character under a bus.

After that the show seemed to level off. It's harder for me to judge it objectively once it became the Seven of Nine Show, because I can't for the life of me stand Seven of Nine, but I'll definitely grant that any season after 4 has more episodes I'll willingly sit through than season 2 managed.

3. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

A lot of people don't even consider Enterprise as being Trek. That's harsh considering it IS Trek lol.

I haven't watched it yet.
    I will get around to it once I finish DS9.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh you're in for a treat!

(I'm a huge ENT fan myself)

5. R. Star

I've softened to it over time. Bad Trek is better than no Trek! :p

6. Captain Kathryn

I was watching the documentary The Captains and the captain from ENT just looked so dejected. I felt really bad for him. I wanted to give him a hug. He was talking about how other series' had more chemistry and just clicked and that he knows ENT "didn't have it".

I know a lot of people don't like Enterprise, but to make the captain of the show SAY that...people must have been harsh to him. I felt really bad...

7. teacake

Seasons 3 and 4 are wonderful. Season 3 is one long story arc, more so than DS9. Season 4 is lots of double and triple episodes and some of the finest Trek there is. And I say that as someone who started on TOS.

Also, if you DO fancy hugging Archer because of that doco rest assured he takes his shirt off in ENT plenty.

8. Captain Kathryn

:lol: Haha, ok. He was cute in the documentary. Wouldn't mind seeing him shirtless.

9. teacake

oh it's FULL of shirtless men :)

10. R. Star

From one of the most notorious Enterprise episodes...

[​IMG]

11. teacake

What a shame that's not blood.

[​IMG]

:: tantalizes captain kathryn ::

You don't see this much manchest in DS9 now do you!

12. Captain Kathryn

Haha... you're right... so far I do not. :lol:

13. teacake

You actually just about never see any manchest at all :(

DS9 IS full of all kinds of lovely men. But not enough deserts, decon chambers, and neuropressure evenings.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Dominic should have worn that for his Vidal Sassoon commercial 20 years ago, he'd be a big box office star now.

15. R. Star

DS9 never had to rely on semi-clad people with transparent attempts to rub lotion all over themselves as a means to entice viewers.

They had this wonderful thing called a dramatic script that kept people interested even when they were all fully clothed! :p

16. teacake

I agree R. Star. But here's a theory.. they could have had that thing called dramatic script they did so well AND taken people's clothes off.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Quark's Dabo Girls were overdressed.

18. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember several hawt holosuite and Mirror Universe scenes on DS9 with semi-clad extras and actors/actresses in sexy outfits. And of course there are also the Dabo girls.

19. teacake

I really love Leeta because she is such a step away from the Bajoran culture of earnestness.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're acting like being a Dabogirl isn't hard?

(Is Domonic's chest following anyone else around the room?)