Was Star Trek 11 too similar to Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

And some people like to use hyperbole a lot. QED.

No offense, but I'm pretty sure Abrams got it.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Watched TNG first when I was 5, love Enterprise and the new movie. :shrug:

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've noticed that for years. Both on forums and in real life interactions.

I'm an old fan. I like JJTrek rather a lot.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was my uninformed opinion that the majority of the nuTrek haters were fans more interested in the Treknicalities of Trek than the stories. Those for whom a reimagined and bigger Enterprise or a beer brewery engine room were deal breakers because they didn't fit with their established design perameters of Federation starships.

Although I suppose they may be TNG fans foremost, too - it was The Next Generation that cranked up the technobabble and marketed manuals detailing the workings of everything that established those design perameters in the first place. Then JJ Abrams comes along and rolls back to the technobabble-free, just-do-it-don't-explain-it attitude of The Original Series.

5. Sheridan

Sheridan Lieutenant Red Shirt

I grew up watching TNG-era shows and TOS and the TOS movies about at the same age. I loved the new Star Trek movie. It's not perfect but I think it's a substantial improvement compared to the majority of previous trek films.

Star Trek 11 was mostly an sci fi adventure action movie which is not at all uncharacteristic of Star Trek. Many episodes in all of the series were primarily action. Star Treks 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10 were also substantially action movies in varying degrees.

But there's also the deep philosophical and political side to Star Trek which wasn't found much if at all in Star Trek 11. Personally I would have liked to have seen that in Star Trek 11 but it may have gone against the purpose of Star Trek 11 and that is to revitalize Star Trek and make it fresh and relevant again. But hopefully that will be seen more Star Trek Into Darkness.

The RedLetterMedia review is similar to my opinion of the film: http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-09/

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

My other wacky theory is that it's the TNG era fans who are still in mourning for the whole TNG/DS9/VOY era of STAR TREK--and perhaps unfairly blame the reboot for driving the final nail into the coffin of that particular version of the 24th Century. (At least on screen.)

As opposed to us first-generation TOS fans who weren't expecting to see any more TOS shows or movies anyway--and were pleasantly surprised to have Kirk and Spock and that whole crowd back again.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it wired that I'm only 24 and as time goes I find I perfer TOS more than the other treks?

(Don't get me wrong I still like the 24th century stuff and Enterprise, I just like TOS more.)

I mean the universe was bigger and more dangerous and it seemed more interesting, also the people seemed more like people.

8. teacake

When Episode VII comes out I wonder if there will be people wringing their hands and saying Star Wars is now too much like Star Trek.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nah, they'll say it's too much like John Carter of Mars! :)

10. teacake

Dejah Thoris and Leia battle it out for the title of QUEEN of the Disney Princesses.

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You know, that's a movie I'd probably watch. :)

12. teacake

Both in metal bikinis too!

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Wait - Dejah Thoris in a bikini? :wtf:

Oh. Right... Disney.

14. teacake

Oh let's just toss Disney and go straight to Frazetta.

[​IMG]

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm 27, was intorduced to Trek through TNG and grew up watching DS9, Voyager and eventually Enterprise. Though in my early 20s I found myself developing a preferance for TOS. Though strangely in recent years (since XI's release, in fact) my preferance has gone back to the 24th century stuff. Also, in the past year I've watched the most Enterprise since it went off the air.