Watching Farscape lately...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Scotty, Apr 11, 2010.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

2. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I just finished watching the A&E set for the first time a couple of months ago. What a great ride. :cool: I'd place Farscape in my top 5 sci-fi series for sure.

In regards to certain episodes people have mentioned already, I thought taking the stone was OK, The Locket was great, and I actually didn't mind A Perfect Murder. I had to go back and double-check afterwards "oh, and this is the one everyone hates?" and yes, it was. I liked the mind-bending use of partial reveals in the first third. It was not a GREAT episode though, no. It was merely OK.

I thought the biggest stumble in the series was the very end (last ten minutes) of season 3 and the beginning of season 4. There didn't really seem to be any reason for everyone to take off in separate directions. Or if there WAS some reason, I totally missed it. I've kind-of blocked the first three episodes of Season 4 out of my mind but I remember not liking them very much. :shifty: As has already been mentioned though it does right itself about halfway through the season and the conclusion was very good.

One other thing I will mention- the video quality in S4 takes a hit due to the episodes being in widescreen but having the same number of episodes per disc. People with the Starburst sets are lucky in this respect. I'm sure their S4 looks better than mine.

3. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Crackers Don't Matter, ...Different Destinations, and Revenging Angel are my picks for best individual episodes.

I agree, Farscape, B5 and nuBSG are the holy trinity of sci-fi tv to me. Firefly would be up there as well if it had lasted longer.

4. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah Farscape, with all those lovely Australian ladies :cool:

There was something about the series that evoked the sense of adventure of so many of the silly space opera books I read as a kid. I tire of science fiction that has to have some sort of a space navy or United Nations of planets. I'm not really taken off planet by it all.

One guy, out of his depth, suddenly finding strange friends and coming out on top. I like it, especially when the characters are so likeable and the settings are so lush and bizarre. Everything was just conceived so very well, I just can't not like it :)

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The Locket" was an episode fans of the show insisted was one of the best when I watched a handful of episodes. That characterisation actually turned me off the series, really.

I can definitely see why people would like it, but I tended to compartmentalize those that did as being big fans of the John/Aeryn relationship and its soapy implications (I was more moderate on the whole thing, really, though it does have its strengths and Browder and Black had good chemistry).

6. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Sikozu is one of the very few fictional characters I genuinely loathe (Byron from B5 is the only other one I can think of, in fact). Rightly or wrongly, I tend to think of Jool as a second-rate Zhaan; Sikozu I think of as a 50th-rate Jool. Rewatching the fourth season is a struggle for me simply because she's in it.

7. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Ah hell! I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth!

8. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I know the feeling. My apologies. :D

9. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

I much preferred Sikozu to Jool. I regularly and consistently wanted to jab an icepick into Jool's skull every time she was on the screen. Not that I cared for Sikozu very much, either, but I'd rather have her around than Jool. At least Sikozu was interesting and willing to take an active part in things. Jool just stood around stomping her foot and crying all the time. Ugh. <looks around for an icepick just thinking about her>

10. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

Oh I have forgotten to mention. Farscape also has the best villain character I have ever seen in sci-fi/fantasy genre ever. You know I am talking about : Scorpius. Scheming , calculating , creepy , patient....Wayne Pygram was absolutely awesome with this character. It is shame that he didn't get any awards for his amazing performance.

Scorpy rules.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Harvey too.

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, but it did something much more important than that, something that's possibly connected to RoJoHen's point...

It was the first mention of Unrealized Realities.

Granted, they called them Centre Halos, but the concept is the same. It also thereby demonstrates how both Zhaan and Stark might have played into the larger developing arc had they stayed around.

13. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Yes, that's one thing Farscape often gets criticized for.

:confused:

14. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

Of course Farscape is one of the most creative series in several topics. From costumes/make up/production values to character arcs etc. But occasionally a few times it slips into predictability especially in a handful stand alone episodes

15. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I just saw The Locket again for the first time in years. It is as I remember it, although not as boring. It just doesn't work. It doesn't work as a mystery or as a lovestory. Some compare it to Inner Light and The Visitor. But The Locket is different from those Trek episode since we don't see time passing and Crichton or Aeryn coming to terms with their new life. The ending is a total copout, a reset button worthy of ST Voyager.

I also watched The Ugly Truth last night. I enjoyed that one quite a lot. A perfectly executed bottle-show.

The Locket 6/10
    The Ugly Truth 8/10

16. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love "The Ugly Truth". As Rashomon episodes go, well, there's another cliche Farscape hit out of the park. The subtle and not so subtle differences on how everyone behaves depending on who is telling the story (in Zhaan's everyone is more docile and reasonable, and she just happens to know who the Plakavoids are, while in D'Argo's everyone's a trifle more... agitated..) make it a plain fun watch.

17. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Over the past week or so, I've rewatched season 1 and 2 for the first time in a few years. The DVDs have been out of my range for the last few years. Thinking about starting season 3 tonight, but might wait until tomorrow night.

18. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When it was originally shown on SciFi, I caught maybe a couple episodes a year until the fourth season. That's when I really got into it; and I liked Sikozu's character.

I'll have to pick up the complete series now, reading these posts has gotten me interested in watching the whole thing (and yes, those lovely ladies were part of the attraction of the show).

19. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Ugly Truth is great. I love how everyone mispronounces the alien race's name in John's version.

20. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw A Clockwork Nebari again. Pretty damn funny. Especially loved how John tried to convince the rest that he was mind cleansed by acting like a drugged out surferdude. :lol:

The eye-poking and pulling has to be one of the most disgusting scenes on television. I can't believe the got away with that!

A Clockwork Nebari 8/10