Aeroshuttle FX Test Video, from Foundation Imaging!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by NervousEnergy, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Agreed. I like the show more than most would admit...but the original premise was thrown out the window after the first couple of episodes.

It could've been set in the Alpha Quadrant. Change the name of the aliens and there wouldn't be much of a difference.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

We're talking about Starfleet engineers here, with B'Elanna being an exceptionally gifted example of the breed. I find it credible that, if placed in a circumstance where they knew they had to depend on themselves with no starbase support, they would be able to innovate ways to replace things that were normally not replaceable. I mean, they'd have to, wouldn't they? There'd be no other choice.

And of course, as I said, there's the possibility of trade. Probably Janeway meant that they had no way to replace the torpedoes because they had a finite supply of antimatter. But they could've traded for a new supply, or for substitute weaponry.

Personally I wish there had been more depiction of the crew trading for replacement parts. I once wrote a spec script for the show in which they came upon a colony of Cardassians taken by the Caretaker (leading to conflict with the Maquis) and ended up taking a couple of the Cardassian shuttles with them at the end to replenish their supply. It would've been nice if we'd seen the ship's systems gradually getting upgraded and replaced with various bits of alien tech they picked up along the way.

Still, given that they had replicators, I really don't find it unreasonable that they could've replaced any equipment aboard, given the necessary raw materials. I mean, replicator technology has existed for decades as of the series' time frame. It stands to reason that by that point, their technology would be designed around replicable components, so that any necessary parts could be easily replaced.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Would've been nice to have seen it once. It's the kind of thing that is cool but you don't want to see it used over and over again. That's what shuttles are for.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Perhaps that footage can be shown on any anthology series in the future--as a flashback.

I can imagine bits of it being used to power tha main ship--to the point that it isn't flyable anymore.

5. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the same reason I told myself why they never used the spare Warp Core (that's clearly marked on the MSD) - salvaged for spares shortly after the events of Caretaker.

6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's pretty cool! Flat and stealthy, blocky yet attractive. I like it a lot!