50th anniversary being sold short

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Noddy, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

“The absolute reality was we didn’t have all those Doctors about to come back through the door. There were limitations to who we could get back.

“They’re all brilliant, they’re all terrific, but time has passed. I think it would be beyond the dignity of all those very fine actors to want to force themselves back into a costume from 20 or 30 years ago."
    -Steven Moffat, here.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Moffat really were being selfish and just wanted to "hang out with his buddies" than I'm pretty sure he would have tried to find a way to bring Peter Davison into it. After all, Davison is Moffat's favourite Doctor and his "buddy's" father-in-law.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Shush, don't let facts and reason get in the way of the insane screaming!!

4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What Moffat says certainly applies to Doctors 4-7, but I don't think this really applies to Paul McGann. He hasn't aged badly/detrimentally at all, and I think if they wanted him in there he would've delivered. To put it this way - he's way more reminiscent of his first appearence today, than Davison was comparively when Time Crash was made.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think the difference is that Peter Davison was the Doctor for 3 years, Tom for 7, Sylvester for 3 and Colin for 2 years…meanwhile McGann was the Doctor for about an hour. The majority of the viewing public would probably have to be reminded he even was the Doctor. Putting aside the fans who pod out to Big Finish to hear the 8th Doctor audios (and frankly I think it’s perfectly acceptable to consider yourself a fan of the show without hearing a single audio) then I think the majority of the viewing public who have a clue who any of these older actors are will probably be more excited that John Hurt is showing up as a previously unknown Doctor (always assuming he is the Doctor) than that bloke from Withnail and I and the Monocled Mutineer is showing up as a might as well be previously unknown Doctor.

6. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The public will learn to love McGann or woe betide them. :p

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I think the public already loves McGann. He's done will known things, like Withnail and I, Luthor. People just don't know he played the Doctor once, almost 20 years ago. It's almost like a trivia question.

8. Green Lantern

Oh, um, oh, well, um, The public will learn to love McGann as the Eighth Doctor or woe betide them!

Does that work? :p

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah. Sure. I expect a lot of woe you will have to sow.

10. Green Lantern

Indeed I will. Damn the public. :P