From the Earth to the Moon

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I liked in "Spider" when the camera pans over the roof of the building and we see all of the balls stuck up there. :)

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I hope you caught the "Great Escape" music being played while Tom Kelly is throwing the balls against the wall (as Steve McQueen, in the film of that name, also did). ;)

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

A little off-topic, but I met Alan Bean who was on Apollo 12. It's quite an experience to be hearing someone tell his experience of having been on the moon. He's now an artist who paints what he seen, giving him a unique vantage point that no other artist has.

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I saw a book of his paintings a few years back, and many of them are quite striking.

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of those shows that needs to be forcebly shown to schoolkids.

I bought this as a Christmas present for an ex-roomie years ago. I liked it so much I ended up buying my own copy.

6. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually re-watched this again, not so long ago.
    A quality production in all ways possible:techman:
    I really wish that the people who made The Kennedys would have used this as an exsample.

I am not sure what my favorite episode would be, since they are all good,
    but I have always liked the episodes "We Interrupt This Program" and "Galileo Was Right".

7. ladyheather69

ladyheather69 Captain Captain

I, too, love this mini series. I don't have a favorite per se, but for some reason, "1968" always grabs me. And no matter how many times I watch it, I cry at the end when they quote "You saved 1968." Shoot---tearing up right now typing that! What a sap I am :)

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Usually each summer right around July 4th, I host a marathon of the miniseries. The last time, a good friend who attended for the first time said afterwards, "after watching that I felt something I hadn't for a very long time - pride in my country."

I took my daughter to meet Andy Chaikin a couple of years ago, and she was enthralled with the way he related his experience writing the book in a very enthusiastic yet "common man" approach. He talked about how "Spider" (my favorite ep as well) was a "love letter to engineers everywhere". Mason Daring's theme for the episode is simple and yet so moving. There is one particular passage that will forever affect me profoundly. The voice over by Matt Craven as Tom Kelly (chief engineer at Grumman who developed the LEM) with that theme in the background.. has formed an unchangeable association for me - he's watching LEM-5(?) being carried off for its flight. He muses that his watch is like that of a parent watching their child heading off to college. I cannot ever see that scene now or hear that music without thinking of taking my own son to college.

That's just one of a ton of memories I have from watching this mini-series.

9. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I'm suprised how many list "Spider" as their fav. :lol:

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

sci-fi fans are all engineers at heart.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having never seen Breaking Bad, I will always think of Buzz Aldrin whenever somebody mentions Bryan Cranston's name...

Fun fact: Lots of the actors in this series were friends with the men they portrayed. For example, Brett Cullen played astronaut Dave Scott, and Dave's family invited Brett over to watch whenever any of his episodes were on. I thought that was pretty cool.

12. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I think that sums up my feeling for the series right there. Its a reminder that humans actually are capable of great things if they put their minds to it. Its something that seems to have gone missing in recent years.

13. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's something In The Shadow of the Moon did for me. It's very inspirational.

14. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

True.

The fact that it's a damn fine example of how to do a story on tv right doesn't hurt as well.