I'm back

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I haven't posted for about three months because, back in August, for various reasons, I started to feel my life was worthless and that I wasn't contributing to society at all. I decided I needed to do something to rectify this and felt I was wasting too much time online.

I updated my resume and started to look for part-time work. I applied for several jobs but I was told that I had been out of the library industry for too long so I started to look at the possibility of going back to studying and upgrading my diploma to an advance diploma. I also made a few inquiries about doing some volunteer work.

I also decided that I needed to exercise more and as walking is good for arthritis I decided to try and walk at least 10 km a week.

About 6 weeks ago I started to feel more pain than usual in my left leg. I put it down to a flare up of my knee arthritis. Then I started to feel pain in right leg. I do have arthritis in my right knee but it is mild and doesn't really bother me much. About two weeks ago the pain became so severe that I couldn't sleep at night so I went to the doctor and he ordered a cat scan. Yesterday I learnt that the cat scan showed that I now have arthritis of the spine.

I am starting physiotherapy on Thursday and my doctor has referred me to the Orthopaedics Clinic. He has listed the appointment as being semi-urgent so I should have an appointment within 6 weeks. The doctor said I might need cortisone injections or maybe even spinal fusion. I cannot take NSAIDs because they have a serious effect on my asthma.

As a result of this I have put my job seeking on hold. Last night I made a list of what I have done with my life. Though I have only done paid work for about 8 years of my life I work out I have done about twice as much volunteer work. I have been on a disability pension for the last 6 years. If I count the volunteer work as being as worthy as paid work than maybe I did contribute more than I first thought.

Anyway I decided that spending time on the internet is probably good for my mental health (!!!) so I have come back to Trekbbs.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry you were feeling bad about yourself, and I'm glad you've come back. Hope the physical therapy helps.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

We're glad to have you back!

Work isn't the only way one contributes. We contribute to our family and our friends and even by being a decent, kind person. I think, by that last definition, you have contributed a great deal.

Stick to your physiotherapy; it's always a good thing.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Glad you're back :D

5. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

She said it all. I'm glad that you are back and that you are working to improve your quality of life.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome back Miss Chicken! :techman:

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome back Miss Chicken! I am sorry to hear about your health issues and I hope treatment is effective.

I know I periodically flee the internet (okay I put it down gently and walk slowly away) in a rush of trying to do more real world stuff. A perfect storm of shoulds pushes me into it.

8. Miss Chicken

One of the reasons I started to feel like I was wasting my time is that my best friend used to harp on about me spending too much time in front of the computer. Last night I phoned her up and after talking to her I worked out even three months ago I spent far less time on the computer than she spends watching TV/looking at DVDs. Plus, unlike her I have some hobbies and I read far more than she does.

9. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

For whatever it might be worth: I've missed you a lot. Plus, I think your contribution to the Trek-BBS community can be considered a great contribution to society :bolian:
    Been there, done that, welcome back :)

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome back, but I'm sorry to hear you think your life was worthless. If it was any consolation, even being on here is a contribution to society. You have a ton of great ideas and sharing that with the world is a very good thing.

I do understand though how you might feel. I've found my time here is mostly lurking now (With period of spurts here and there) because I am trying to focus more on what I want to do with my life. I too have had difficulty finding a job, but I am working part time as a Custodian at a school district. I find going someplace for work each day really helps me feel good about myself and makes life worth living.

Anyway, I hope things get better for you but don't feel bad about your life. Live it to the fullest, and make the best you can each and every day. Also, it's great to see you back. :)

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

[HUGS] Miss Chicken.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've had this exact same revelation with friends.

And you know I like being able to get right to the point of discussing my interests and ideas rather than all the filler that a lot of real life discussions seem full of.

13. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

So glad to see you again, Miss Chicken. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, but I look forward to reading your posts. You bring a lot of good to our humble little board. :)

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Miss Chicken, if ever there was someone I wouldn't put on a list of "people who haven't made worthy contributions to society," that would be you. You were gone for a week or two, and I'm pretty sure a "Where's Miss Chicken?" thread appeared at the top of Misc. Your absence was definitely noticed, and that has to say something about your worth. You may spend a lot of time in front of the computer, but "too much" is completely subjective.

Shameless appeared to be missing for a short while, too. I just assumed the two of you ran off to have a big gay affair. :p

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Back when I still lived with my parents my mother used to get on me for spending too much time on the computer, until I pointed out how much time she spent reading trashy romance novels.:lol:

16. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad to see you back, Miss Chicken. :) I also understand some of what you've been dealing with over the last three months - the sense that you're not achieving anything, that you're wasting time, which leads to dissatisfaction with your usual means of enjoyment; I've experienced this, too. I'm glad you've come to realize that you can enjoy your time here without guilt, and that you're definitely contributing to our community. :)

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:

We should totally write our OWN trashy romance novel right here on the board....

18. Miss Chicken

I have a new hobby since August - making bookmarks

here are some that I have made

[​IMG]

19. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

As an avid reader, I think your bookmarks are lovely. :)

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those are very nice, especially the one with the chicken. It reminds me of spring, specifically Easter.