Which of the series/movies need to be remastered?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Michael, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, let them be. The digital tweaking just muddles the whole thing. I wish they had left TOS alone. :-(

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I don't understand why so many of you want TNG to be remastered! Or DS9! Would that improve the stories? Am I the only one who watches Trek because of the drama? Or because of now-cheesy looking effects.

3. euphorik

euphorik Captain Captain

VOY.

let's remaster it out of existence.

4. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I voted for none as well. Each was a product of its time and deserves to be viewed as such.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

TNG has aged the worst and would benefit the most.

I find all of this "product of it's time" stuff to be rather silly, and I feel the same way about the Star Wars special editions. As long as the actors performances and the stories being told (the only things that are truly important and relevant) are unaffected, then I say go to town on the effects, as they are the least important and mosty irrelevant aspect of any good Trek anyway.

(And no, Greedo shooting first did less than nothing to either the story or Han Solo's character. How anyone can say that Han Solo loses any "edge" he might have had is beyond me, and I really think that such people who believe this need to watch it again. Han shoots a being in a public place and in front of dozens of witnesses. He then stares down the room, casually tosses the barkeep some coin, apologizes for the mess and strolls on out. And somehow he loses his edginess...? :confused: :rolleyes:)

6. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

Remaster Enterprise's 2004 level effects to 2007 level - now that would be worthwhile.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

To add to what I said yesterday-- Because of the re-mastered TOS, I'm actually watching TOS on broadcast TV again. A show that I had recorded completely on tape 15 years ago, and bought the DVD's as soon as I could afford them (used), and I'm watching it on TV. Sometimes (actually, mostly) I'm happy with what they do, and sometimes I'm not, but I'm interested again. The story is the same for me with TNG. I have it all on DVD, but I would watch it again with re-mastered effects, as long as the actual relevant story content is unaffected. If re-mastering old eps can attract new viewers and bring back old ones, how can they not consider doing it? And how can it not be anything other than good for the franchise as whole?

8. kipron

kipron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What needs remastering?

Anything where the SFX were done either on NTSC video, or with strings. ;)

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you want them to be airable in HD, you have no choice. They *must* be remastered for that to happen.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why do they have no choice? Is just because they look better or is there more to it?

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Because all the editing for TNG, DS9 and Voyager was done on videotape. Since the native resolution of videotape is so low, it - by definition - cannot be aired in HD. The resolution just isn't there.

Film, OTOH, has a much higher resolution even than HD. But if videotape is involved anywhere in the equation, that kills HD airing right there.

Enterprise is the only ST series that was made from the ground up to be airable in HD. (Well, I suppose TOS could have been, as well, since it was done all on film, but some of its effects were so badly degraded that there would have been no point.)

12. OmarB

OmarB Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would love to see both TNG and DS9 remastered. It would just look cooler seeing more ships and battles you can see and not just reactions from the bridge.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the shows. In fact I firmly believe that both TNG and DS9 can be pulled off on a stage in front of an audience because they are great stories, human stories, fact is though, you can't deny a cool space battle.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing looks that outdated.. yet. And TOS is already in progress of being remastered.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its pointless to remaster STV, but I WOULD like to see remastered STNG! Its a great show that would benefit from HD!

RAMA

15. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^Hear hear! :D TNG: Remastered FTW!

Oh, and in regards to the topic title...copy-and-paste one of Christpoher's rants about the misuse of the term "Remastered" here. ;)

16. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And then copy-and-paste one of Kegek's arguments about the lexical mutability of words. ;)

17. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Um nothing of them need it.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Isn't "The Lexical Mutability of Words" a song by The Art Of Noise or something?

Oh, wait, no, that's "The Holy Egoism of Genius". My bad. :p

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

I think that all of the Original Series films could stand to have some restorative work done on them - and I mean that in the sense of cleaning up any imperfections in the sound or picture. The dreary flutering Paramount logo over the intro of the films alone deserves to be replaced.

TNG should be completely redone. Take the existing 35mm negs, transfer them directly to high def, and then re-do the FX note-for-note on CGI. Screw the transferred-to-video crap that we have had for the show since its inception. I can only imagine the likely startling look that the live-action footage alone would have. I remember the '97 remasters for TOS, and hoping that the same would be done for TNG somewhere down the line.