7X04 The Power Of Three (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 22, 2012.

?

Grade "The Power Of Three"

Poll closed Oct 24, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

32 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Good

60 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Average

17 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. Bad

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. The little boxes will make you angry

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, absolutely, looking at it rationally, she left the Doctor, but, yea, he didn't leave a number, and never visited again, makes you feel really inadequate, compared to Rose and then Sarah Jane (with her three NuWho Doctor Adventures), and now Amy/River. *Of course, any Classic Companion could claim this "Abandonment", and that was kinda the point, it didn't really register until NuWho.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

All I can really think is that this episode should have been a two-parter. I enjoyed everything until the ending, which was incredibly rushed, and I felt that the bad guy came out of left field. Who are these aliens? Why do they want to kill the humans? Why do we give a shit? Oh, and the ship is automated, so the Doctor can just wave his screwdriver at a computer screen and make everything better. Really lame. The episode should have ended right after they boarded the alien ship with a big TO BE CONTINUED.

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I feel like I remember Eleven telling Jo Grant that he visited all of the former companions, even if they didn't know he was doing so, in the Sara Jane Adventures episode he guest starred in?

The implication being that Ten(nant!) visited every one of them in those last minutes of "The End of Time" and we only were privy to the companions from nuWho at the time.

Jo got to voice her frustration, and Eleven pointed out that he had checked up on her, she just didn't know it.

EDIT: He did! Scan forward to about 6:30:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYEqQzgn6gY&feature=related[/yt]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Geronimo! I really enjoyed this one!!

Mr Awe

5. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I gave it top marks for character development, good script and lots of fun... However, it was wrapped up far too quickly for my taste. Could have been a nice two parter and made the threat more, well, threatening.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that, much better than the last two. Sure the solution was ridiculously rushed but the build up was lovely.

7. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What the Hell are there only 5 episodes in this season?
    it seems like Space just started not long ago and now the season finale is on this weekend, whats up?

8. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

In this half season.

Five is half of fourteen.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I spent most of the episode smugly expecting that the cubes would turn out to be droppings of some invisible alien beasts. Space guano.

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

"Space Guano" is now totally my punk band name.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I wasn't too fussed about the lackluster enemy or the rushed conclusion; they were really only there because convention dictates that there must be some kind of wacky sci-fi problem. The episode was really about the Ponds and the Doctor, and IMO it excelled in that regard. Looking forward to this weekend. :techman:

12. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Make sure you don't get confused with the Guano Apes then. ;)

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn. Ok. Then the name of my punk band is now "Kleptomonkey".

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This upcoming episode is the mid-season finale, which Space now refers to as season finales presumably for simplicity sake. Season 7 is split up thusly:

Episodes 1-5 in September 2012.
    Episode 6, the Christmas special on Chirstmas Day 2012.
    Episodes 7-14 sometime in early 2013.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Kind of apt though this time around as presumably the second half of the season is going to be pretty distinct from this side with the Ponds.

16. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Regardless, I tweeted SPACE that they should change that onscreen graphic to say MID-Season Finale. :D

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a little more complicated than that. There are indications that the production team is treating the Amy episodes and the Oswin episodes as two entirely different series, just shot in one production cycle. Tom Spillsbury recently set Ian Levine off on Twitter when he referred to the just-finished script for the post-Christmas episode as a the first episode of the next series. Worldwide is telling their merchandising partners that the first five are separate from Christmas and beyond. I'm honestly surprised that the DVD packaging for the first five calls it "Series Seven Part 1" because that's not what Worldwide has told people it was going to be called; according to e-mails i've received at work, Christmas and beyond is being called "Series Eight."

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

It's also called "Series 7, Part 1" on iTunes as well.

I don't know if it's a similar situation to how we do things here in the US, but it could be like what happened on my show last year - we were picked up for a sixth season (13 episodes) fulfilling the original contracts that had been negotiated with our actors; in the middle of our production cycle, the network ordered an additional ten episodes, which we (internally and not on paper) referred to as "Season 7" because we had no idea when they would air.

As it turned out, the network only let five weeks go by in between these two batches of episodes, so it was genuinely a "Season 6, Part 1" and "Season 6, Part 2" for us... but my point is simply it could be a matter of actor contracts and salaries. In our case, we lobbed everything under the nomenclature of "Season 6" in order to keep all our actors and to pay them the same rates; had we officially (and on paper) called it "Season 7" we would have had to renegotiate with everyone in the cast and on top of that everyone on staff who would be returning would be entitled to a 3% bump in their paychecks.

But that's all on an American show. I have no idea how it works on BBC series, but it is something to consider -- with Gillan and Darvill leaving, it could just be that even though it's technically a "new" season (as in, series 8), they've for all intents and purposes been referring to it as and keeping it as "Series 7" so as not to have to renegotiate with Smith or any of the other production crew who might otherwise be entitled to pay raises.

Just my theorizing two cents :)

19. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So are the Ponds leaving this weekend, or in the Christmas episode?

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Should be this weekend