So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    ;)

2. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Bioshock: Rapture not long ago. It's pretty good, not great, but interesting. Though the video games provide some information on Rapture's downfall, it was interesting to see more detail about what exactly happened. I found a bit hard to believe so many characters seemed to already be a bit crazy when arriving in Rapture, even though they were insane by the time of the games. I just expected to see rational people going crazy over time. Though, I suppose you'd have to be a little crazy to move to a secret underwater city with an economy based on unregulated capitalism and little to no government, and few laws (no murder or theft allowed). Also, because it's been a few years since I played the games, I kept going online to see what characters looked & sounded like, thus slowing me down in my reading. But that's more my problem than the book's. I was also disappointed none of the information/storyline/characters from the downloadable add on, Minerva's Den, for Bioshock 2 was included in the story. So, overall, it was an enjoyable read, but nothing amazing, with a few missed opportunities.

I'm about to start Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions.

3. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I've got 40 or so pages left in Genesis Wave, Book 3. Not that the first two were strong, but they were enjoyable. This third entry is just a weird mashing up of random stuff. I don't get the point of it at all, and there's rather a lot to wrap up. A weak effort to space out the Duology to a Trilogy. It's one of those instances (like Gemworld) where it may have been a better decision to have only one book instead of spreading the story thin over 2 or more books.

I have Mission Gamma: Lesser Evil on tap right now, and then Genesis Force to finish out those two cycles. From there I'm planning to do DS9: Rising Son, TNG: A Hard Rain, VOY: Homecoming, DS9: Prophecy and Change, VOY: The Farther Shore and DS9: Unity. Then I'll probably take a break from Trek lit for a bit before getting into the post-Unity DS9 stuff and the A Time To... stuff.

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'm glad people are reading the 1999 books. It was fun to do.

5. Joel_Kirk

^^

Which one did you write? (If you mind me asking...):)

I personally find Powys interesting since they are (or were?) a very small, family-owned, independent book company, and they were(or are?) able to get writers to create stories for a prominent licensed product.

From what I understand, they have original titles by authors as well.

6. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Lonemagpie = David McIntee. He wrote the good one.

In addition to the Space: 1999 line, Powys has also published two books based on The Prisoner (one in a tiny run of a few hundred copies that's virtually impossible to find). I have both, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. They have also published one non-tie-in novel.

The owner of the company is also a musician, and his band/project have published a number of recordings through Powys.

7. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Your book was fun to read. Thanks for writing it!

8. Joel_Kirk

Ahhh....! So, he's Mr. McIntee...

Yes, I do recall Powys had some Prisoner novels as well....which I would also like to read someday. Of course, Daddy Todd, if you get to them before I do please post your recommendations on the boards so I can see which ones to zero in on...:)

Also, I think it's interesting that Powys published music under their own label as well. (They have control over their own stuff, which includes the novels. That's awesome).

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Born For Adversity.

And in Trek, Indistinguishable From Magic, On The Spot and Reservoir Ferengi. Plus a ton of Dr Who...

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just started Perigee by Patrick Chiles:)

11. BritishSeaPower

In less than a day I've breezed through 1/2 of Mission Gamma: Lesser Evil. Really enjoyable so far. I think this might be the best paced MG book, but... I wish it were a bit denser. In some places motivations seem very surface level. Still, I'm excited to plow through the rest tonight.

12. Joel_Kirk

Cool...:techman:

13. BritishSeaPower

Finished Mission Gamma: Lesser Evil late last night. I thought it was really good, but that at only 266 pages, the plot may have needed time to breathe a bit. It has the unenviable job of wrapping up Mission Gamma, setting up the plot of Unity, incorporating in Rising Son, and it did it quite well. But maybe getting it to 300 pages may have made it feel a little less rushed.

I'm about 4% into Genesis Force on the Kindle right now. Seems really short, despite it saying it's 405 pages. (I think every "page turn" on the kindle is a full page from the book, which is new to me as it's usually about 3 "page turns" per full book page.)

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Caught up with DC's new Batwoman comic last night, reading the first six issues in one sitting.

15. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

fun series is'nt it I wish it was dynamite entertainment that did it. :rommie::rommie::rommie::rommie:

16. Greg Cox

I think DC might have an issue with that! :)

I admit to taking a personal interest in Kate ever since writing the "52" novelization a few years back. Good to see she's still thriving.

(Although the art in issue 6 wasn't up to the standards of the first story arc. I'm hoping this is just a temporary substitution and the original artist will be back shortly.)

17. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

I think the 2 artists will be alternating between Batwoman arcs.

18. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks to my e-reader, i'm going back to the TOS books, and starting with #1 The Motion Picture, i'm gonna be buying all the old TOS books, and reading them all. I'm currently on #2 The Entropy Effect.
    Entropy Effect takes a while to get going but i'm about halfway through it, and really enjoying the story.

19. Greg Cox

Ah, I see.

Alas, you can really see the difference.

20. BritishSeaPower

Taking a break from Genesis Force for a bit to read Tomo: Friendship Through Fiction, a series of short stories about young adults in Japan. I just noticed that one of the stories is written by Alan Gratz, who is going to be writing the upcoming Starfleet Academy: The Assassination Game.