Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

^ I posted my AVX thoughts in the other thread...Scott isn't a jerk perse...he is just totally blinded by his philosophical views right now that he can't see anything beyond them or any other viewpoint. His way or the highway. It is why he comes into conflict with people now. Erik put it best, Scott is sounding like him.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

was anyone else reading The Fearless. final issue of that mini came out today. i despised Fear Itself but The Fearless was really good. almost made up for FI.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Fearless was... readable. Didn't really care about the story but at least a lot of heroes were in the mix. On the whole, "Fear Itself" just felt like a huge waste of time. What changed, really? Bucky is underground now?

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

And Colossus is now one part Juggernaut.

But, yeah nothing major. Fear Itself was essentially a cash grab crossover event. Glad I didn't buy it now. Learned my lesson years ago with these "must read universe altering" events that happen every 14 months. The industry has become the little boy who cried wolf. Fool me once(ok a few times)... but not any more.

Pre-internet when details weren't readily available they could get away with this schtick of "it's must read". Now, not so much--at least if one is inclined to do some leg work and find out anyway.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I would say that Fear Itself is the first Marvel crossover since Civil War that did not radically alter the Marvel Universe.

Well, I guess World War Hulk didn't do that much, except to the Hulk... and Hercules... and Amdeus Cho...

6. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. Fear Its Self as we discussed already in it's thread turned out to be utterly and completely pointless since they just essentially reserved everything they did in it. Thor is back, Bucky is working back ops missions with 'Tasha (in an awesome books). Most of things event books now really serve a couple of purposes, the first of course is to make money, the second is to serve as a launching pad for more books or spin off series to continue to make more money. Fracton kept talking about the book has having widespread effects across the Marvel U but we didn't really see any or have much fall out.

I just saw the preview for Fantastic Four #605...and I can't wait for the future arc!!! It's gonna be awesome.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Speaking of FF, why didn't that "Forever" epic have any impact whatsoever on the larger Marvel Universe? Manhattan was halfway destroyed and all the heroes were involved, yet no other book acknowledges it!

8. Saga

eh, with Marvel's compressed time i'd say New York is destroyed every other week.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I was at one of those 'closeout stores' and found a Fantastic Four CD-ROM saying it has every issue from FF#1 - 2004 including annuals. It was 75% off, I got it for $8. Figured it was worth the gamble.

10. Admiral_Young

The Forever arc wasn't acknowledged in any other book because it was mainly a Fantastic Four arc and one could argue it was a self contained temporal event. Just like the Ultron future we saw at the start of Bendis's second "Avengers" run. Or how about Amazing Spider-Man having Doc Ock basically take over the Earth right now, and have the Sinister Six incapacitate the Avengers? It is possible of course that these various events take place during several different time periods of the year. Who knows though.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

UPS still hasn't deliverd the missing box to my LCS. DAMMIT! I want my Avengers Academy! :scream:

12. Turtletrekker

13. Admiral_Young

-Avenging Spider-Man #6 (looks like Frank and Matt are joining the fun!)
    -Fantastic Four #605 (Future Arc!! Hickman!!!)
    -Scarlet Spider #4 (My Name is Kaine...Kaine Parker!)
    -Uncanny X-Men #10 (I am still sticking with this after last issue's awesomeness)
    -Winter Solider #4

My Marvel pulls are overwhelming my DC pulls right now, which I thought would be the case. I think I'm down to seven 52 books, which really will be down to five by the end of the summer I think.

14. Saga

same here. as a kid i was an absolute Marvel Zombie. after high school i got into DC hardcore and now...i'm back to Marvel.

15. Admiral_Young

^ Pretty much the same case with me. The relaunch has a lot to do with my return to Marvel but really Marvel has been pulling me back over the last two years.

16. Saga

it was actually all the X-Men stuff that drew me back slowly. for awhile there the only Marvel stuff i read was the cosmic events like Annihilation. but i kept reading various X-Men trades.

then after Blackest Night i was kinda tired of constant events and started checking out other Marvel books.

17. Admiral_Young

Interesting. For me it was a combination of Hickman's run on Fantastic Four, the X-Men stuff, and Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man that has brought be all the way back!

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I got back into comics thanks to DC and Green Lantern, and only read DC for a couple years before I slowly expanded to Marvel. But for the past couple of years, Marvel has definitely been top dog. And now, with Nu52, there's only a handful of books I truly like (Action Comics, Batman, Green Lantern) from DC.

19. Turtletrekker

I've always been a Marvel Zombie. My first super-hero comic was Fantastic Four 233, "Mission for a Dead Man" by John Byrne and from there, I quickly discovered the rest of the Marvel U.

I got into DC briefly right around the time Byrne started his Superman run (I was buying an occasional Batman before that) through the end of the Giffen/DeMatties Justice League, but lost interest in DC after that.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gi Joe comics in the 80s sucked me in.

I never really thought much about Klara from the Runaways before.

The timelost thing is kinda nifty, but what if the Runaways hadn't ranaway with her because if this is what she can do as a 10 year old...

By the late 1930s, when her abilities are a hundred fold more potent, we're not just talking about another romantic love interest to toss inbetween Xavier and Magneto, but she could have led a third camp at odds with their schism from a new tac or... Charles and Eric could have been working for Klara and mutant kind might have been unified under a single school of thought even before the birth of the atomic age.

Scary?