Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I agree, FD #5 was a good read, back to what I wanted. Last issue let me down a bit. Seeing Valkyrie go all "savage" and revert back into her more Death Maiden mode should really pay off next issue.

I read my two Valiant books(Archer&Armstrong, Shadowman) and this last night. Was going to read Red She-Hulk #66(featuring Man-Thing) but I'll report back on that. Am I the only one reading Red She Hulk? It ends at #68 anyway which is why I to hope Fearless Defenders makes it. Journey into Mystery featuring Sif is slipping into trouble. Female led books struggle at Marvel.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Screw Avengers Arena.

First Mettle, and now Nico Minoru. I loved Runaways and avengers academy. Avengers Arena has no reason to exist. One of the biggest complaints about superhero deaths (besides the fact that the most famous ones don't stay dead for very long) is when characters are killed off for shock value and no other reason. It used to be DC that was the master of this, now this piece of crap book is all about this. I mean, I suppose either of them could come back, but its not likely. They didn't die heroically saving someone, they died because a hack writer thought giving Arcade "magic" powers (because I don't think normal Aecade has killed anyone of consequence, ever, before he got powers) and having him kill off teen heroes was a good idea. I'm not a huge fan of character death (especially ones I like that probably aren't popular enough to be ressurected) but I could accept it if it was done well. This isn't good, its shock deaths written by idiots.

Interesting but it makes me wonder, once again, how Greg Land keeps getting work. Does he have Blackmail material on Marvel editors? I mean, there is hiring bad artists (like JRjr, for example) and then there is hiring a guy like Land. I'm still excited for the book, but not so much for the art.

4. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Absolutely no interest in the Mighty Avengers. Just a bad mish mash of characters thrown together to put out a book. Heres an idea how about making the current Avengers books you have out interesting and readable before creating a new one.

5. Captain Craig

That Mighty Avengers lineup is interesting in that it seems to solely be wanting to spotlight, or just use, characters that are modestly used or severely unused as of late.

Mighty Avengers
    Luke Cage (original Power Man)
    Spiderman (Ockversion)
    She-Hulk (green)
    Falcon
    Power Man (I know nothing of him, I'm guessing he took the name but his powers aren't identical to Cage, right?)
    Blue Marvel (never realized how much like DC's Dr.Fate he resembles)
    Ronin
    White Tiger (is this still actual tiger,the one the High Evolutionary transformed some time back)
    Monica Rambeau (the one time Captain Marvel II, what name is she now using? Photon, Pulsar..I lost track)

[​IMG]

That article does not mention Ronin or Rambeau at all and yet they are pictured.
    So who is Ronin?
    Also, Walters is in her more commonly used purple/white spandex outfit, not her Future Foundation one? She leaving that team for this? Double Duty? If Spidey and Wolverine can swing then why not She-Hulk I say.

I may try this just for the sheer uniqueness of it.

6. Admiral_Young

Monica has been part of Carol's supporting cast in "Captain Marvel" and currently has no codename I believe. Ronin will be a new Ronin, there have been previously multiple Ronin's who have used the codename. The very first one was Clint Barton (that he used when Clint first returned I believe).

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Monica will be going by the code-name "Spectrum".

I was kind of interested in this until I learned of the creative team. I used to not mind Greg Land, but I've gotten tired of his work.

8. Admiral_Young

^ I think everyone has...I dropped "Iron Man" partially due to Land's art.

9. Captain Craig

Wasn't Echo in the Ronin suit at one point? She still dead from Bendis' Moon Knight run a few years back?

Spectrum, a new codename then. I'm not reading, Ms.Marvel so she has been active of late, just in a support role. With exception to Spider-man really the whole team is a collection of support MCU characters(isn't that WCA devolved into after awhile?). Cage is a major player but I view his role almost akin to Martian Manhunter. They don't know what to do with him BUT to stick him in an Avengers(JLA) book.

10. Admiral_Young

Yep Maya (Echo) was a Ronin as well and I believe part of Luke Cage and Doctor Strange's New Avengers. Remember though it's Otto-Peter that is a member of the team, so we have that different dynamic to deal with. I suspect the supporting character thing is exactly why we have this specific team.

Also Monica while being apart of Carol's supporting cast, doesn't mean she hasn't been active as a superhero in it with Carol, which she has been. She just hasn't had a codename I don't think. Carol usually addresses her with first name. I believe part of her story arc in "Captain Marvel" has been getting back to being a hero again so her thread may well lead into "Mighty Avengers".

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Echo was the first Ronin. then Clint. more recently Black Widow's ex husband the Red Guardian took over the Ronin identity in one of the Hawkeye minis that came out a few years ago.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

When did Rihanna join the Avengers? ;)

13. Captain Craig

Got home from work, read She-Hulk #66.
    While I was glad to see Man-Thing and his development from his tenure with Thunderbolts is in tact(ie he can talk now) this story arc is dragging on. With two issues to go it appears that perhaps one of the downfalls of this title was a two part act story that drags on too long. It'll be 10 issues to tell this story that surely could've been reduced by half.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

From what I've read online it sounds like the whole idea behind Mighty Avengers is that these characters all come together when the bigger Avengers characters are off dealing with something during Infinity. So I think the purposefully picked lesser known or minor character.

15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All these squads of Avengers and none of them can be West Coast Avengers? Boo.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Avengers Academy was instituted on top of the old West Coast Avengers Compound.

Of course that just means that they built an Indian Burial Ground on top of an older Indian Burial Ground, considering recent developments.

I really do wonder where Avengers Arena sequences into the larger continuity that the Adult Super Heroes Should be wondering where the heck their kids are at?

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're too busy trying to figure out how Wolverine can appear in every book in the MU every month and still be lost in the Savage Land at the same time.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is so true, which is why I did wonder why he had to kill himself last week.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Haven't the events of Avengers Arena only taken place over a few days so far?

20. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i know. makes me sad too.