Enterprise NX-01 Refit-Year Seven

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by trekriffic, Apr 9, 2014.

1. trekriffic

trekriffic Commander Red Shirt

This is my build of the 1/1000 scale Polar Lights NX-01 Refit kit.

I'll start by relating a little of the history surrounding this vessel. None of this is canon of course, this ship has not been seen on screen (yet) and I don't think any books have been written about it (yet), so take whatever you read below in the spirit of fun with which it was intended. Basically, my feeling is, it's my ship so I can make up whatever I want to about it so here we go...

The inital refit of the NX-01 consisted of the addition of a new secondary hull and deflector dish designed to boost power to weapons and increase the ship's range at the outset of the Romulan War in 2156. The Enterprise served with great distinction during that conflict and engaged in several battles with the enemy. She was instrumental in bringing an end to the war which ended in an armed truce. Now that the war is over the Enterprise patrols the frontiers of space keeping close watch over the Neutral Zone; one of it's many duties as the flagship of the fleet.

I'm calling this the NX-01 Refit Year 7 as I've made several modifications to this kit in addition to adding my own lighting system; one could say she's gone thru a few rounds of upgrades since her initial refitting in 2156.
    The discerning Trek fan will note the lack of a saucer deflector dish with the installation of new long range sensors with up to 10x the range of the old sensors. This array also functions as a backup navigational deflector for short periods in the event of primary deflector failure. The aforementioned primary deflector in the secondary hull has been upgraded with a blue glowing deflection field booster located in the outer ring behind the dish. A new lit dome has been added over the bridge housing an advanced communications array.

Now that you are all up to date on the mods I've made here are the photos of the completed model.
    First, there are the obligatory powered down pics so you can all get a good look at her.

[​IMG]
    IMG_6579 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6580 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6581 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6583 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6589 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6590 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6593 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6594 by trekriffic, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMG_6596 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6597 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6598 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6600 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6601 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6603 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6604 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6607 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6608 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6609 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6610 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6611 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6613 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6615 by trekriffic, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_6616 by trekriffic, on Flickr

To view some composite images I created using photos of the lit model go to my other post here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=242173

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome pics :)

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Nice as always. Your work is top notch!

--Alex

4. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very nice work.

5. jerriecan

jerriecan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like it - didn't notice the sensor removal at the bow at first. Most excellent work! :)

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice work! I personally haven't been too keen on Drexler's refit idea, especially leaving the original dish in place, but I love your modifications! I especially like that the new sensors you put in the bow are reminiscent of the three bow sensors/windows/whatever on Kirk's Enterprise, and they certainly look like a predecessor to that.

7. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

excellent!

8. trekriffic

trekriffic Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the compliment! And thanks for noticing the tie in to Kirk's TOS Enterprise with the 3 round sensor ports on the bow. That also applies to the lit dome on top of the saucer. And one more tie in I didn't mention in my post is the "ion pod" or "nipple" on the lower sensor dome. I made that out of a tiny pinhead inserted into a hole drilled into the center of the dome.

9. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

Could you please tell me where you live, and what hours you are likely to be away with your doors unlocked?

Seriously, that is grand work and I am both impressed and envious. Bravo.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

So help me, but I would love to see a Kelvin type saucer atop that secondary hull, and the staggered nacelle support treatment, only without the NX-saucer's double boom.

A flat saucer would look great atop that shallow secondary hull.