What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dusty Ayres, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Was it a fling with another woman? Too much work and not enough home time with the wife and daughter? Another fling with Emony Dax? Any speculation would be appreciated.

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my personal canon? This.

3. Mrs_Whatsit

Mrs_Whatsit Commander Red Shirt

I've had a personal theory for ages, which was originally based on some stupid Mary Sue-ish fanfics I write. But it was actually made plausible for me in STXI.

I always thought his wife wasn't happy being married to a "simple country doctor" who was gone long hours and would never be a rich man. So I figured she dumped him for a model with a higher earning potential, and then took him for every cent she could in the divorce.

In XI, he seemed too damaged for the divorce not to have been hellish, which would lead me to speculate that she could be a vindictive bitch who blindsided him. So thanks to Orci, Kurtzman, and Karl Urban, that's still my story and I'm sticking to it. With much reading between the lines, of course. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  4. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

How could he get hooked up with a nightmare like that? It's like that Janice Lester topic in the TOS forum.

5. Mrs_Whatsit

Mrs_Whatsit Commander Red Shirt

If you're talking about my theory, Jeri, she wasn't originally a nightmare. My stories have a whole universe built around Dr. McCoy, which I won't go into here. All the years spent writing them probably explains why I was such a loser in high school. :guffaw:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  6. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, everybody's a loser in high school. Thank goodness it eventually ends and real life commences. You picked a nice way to survive it.

Well, we ought to invest in cryogenics like that STNG episode, just so we can live long enough to punch her in the nose for making our doctor such a wreck.

7. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think he probably got married while in med school or an intern, and the wife expected he was going to be some high-profile doc at a major hospital somewhere, and she would bask in the reflected glory and its related lifestyle -- but he wanted to be a country GP instead. That *does* happen to med students and young doctors *a lot.*

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

McCoy's ex-wife is a major guest star in the novel, "Shadows on the Sun" by Michael Jan Friedman (hardcover 1993, and later in paperback).

9. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Typical divorce reason. He finally stood up and said no to her spending all his hard earned paycheck on herself and she took everything he had.

10. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

She had sex with another man. Unbeknown to McCoy but beknown to his Captain, it was Kirk. That's why Jim always has that little smile. He nailed Spock's mother, too.

11. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

His wife didn't understand that sometimes you gotta let a playah play.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a thought: What if McCoy's ex *was* Emony Dax? :D

13. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Reason for the divorce? Um, he's an a$$hole?!? Seems obvious to me. ;)

14. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Could be that the chick he married was a complete, cast-iron BITCH. :borg:

15. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Great idea.

That, and also I bet that McCoy was seeing some ladies behind her back, maybe a nurse or a doctor.

I wonder why she'd be so lazy in a century like the 23rd, where both spouses work?

I doubt it, otherwise Jadzia would have known about it and said so in 'Trials And Tribble-lations'-all that she said was that she knew him from when he was a med student and she saw him doing gymnastics.

He was feeling like shit-I don't think that he was much of one.

That could be, too, and why he probably steered clear of women after that, with the exception of Natira. He doesn't even really look or make a glance at Chapel much of the time on the TV show.

16. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Can't say I blame him.

17. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

:rommie:

Anyway, I say he became emotionally distant after euthanising his father, and they drifted apart. Then, to his surprise, she divorced him.

I love McCoy, he's my favourite character in all of fiction ever.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Drink.

19. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Ok....I now wannna see TOS McCoy doing gymnastics, now. :D

20. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Aha!

He had a nasty fall doing his gymnastical thing and landed groin first on a protruding whatchamacallit on one of them gym thingies. One testicle got all swolled up to 6.3 times it's normal size, and his wife just couldn't get used to his ginormous love-spud banging against her chin when they did a naughty.

Hence - tears, shoutings, plate-smashings, insultings of mothers, blah blah blah etc. D.I.V.O.R.C.E.

:D