Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Bounty Hunter is great so far ;)

2. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Game is garbage. WoW clone, but everything is worse apart from the voice acting. What a shame :/

I totally forgot how much I hate beta communities though, everyone is totally delusional and will just flame you in general when you ask about things or point out glaring flaws in the gameplay.

3. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Level 22 Jedi Knight now. It's good fun but mostly feels like a single player RPG with a chat channel.
    Not even an LFG tool and where are group instances? Everything is quest-related. Meh, I still love the game so far.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Did a flashpoint with 2 other players yesterday in my guild and was fun though I agree the game sometimes feels a little too much like a sp game with chat.

5. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

God damnit, if you put it like that, I just might have to try it.

Can't help it, I still am such a sucker for BioWare singleplayer RPGs, even post-Dragon Age II which I deeply love-hate because of it's Electronic Arts-induced 18-months-dev-cycle deficiencies.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't even have tried the game without the semi-SP aspect to it. Normally I hate MMOs. :lol:

I agree with you about DA2, SPCTRE. Another six months or so (and a bigger budget so they could use some more environments) and I think that game would have been great, rather than just very good but very flawed.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

What glaring flaws do you see?

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

If you hate beta communities why did you sign up for a beta?

And if you don't want to get flamed, try not saying things "The Game is Garbage!" and expect people to take you seriously.

There will be a grouping feature in the final build. They just left it out of this one because, since they're only testing server stability, they wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible, so they used the most stable, vanilla build they had.

MMOs are love/hate for me. I love the social aspect of it: meeting new people, chatting with them about random stuff, etc. I just hate having to quest with them. There are just too many unknowns involved and everyone has a different philosophy of how things should be done. This always leads to disaster. Guilds can help with this, but in that case the fails usually lead to more severe consequences. And PUGs almost never work.

But it's pretty much impossible for me to play KOTOR and TBBS it up at the same time. However, with this I can still get my KOTOR fix and still manage to annoy the piss out of { Emilia }. And that's worth the $15 a month. Hell, it's priceless. :techman:

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did see the trailer for The Old Republic and it looked very impressive... but I loathe the social aspect of MMO's. My age is showing for sure, but no way. I'm not playing for the software, then paying per month to play it, THEN have all my assets deleted forever in a few years when the servers are shut down for good. Fuck that noise, one thousand percent.

As for the need to enjoy a Star Wars game, as Lucasarts still hasn't made a game that surpasses the six year old greatness of Star Wars: Battlefront II, I will continue to play that. That's shit's split screen... so if buddies come over we can bash it out together on the TV... in the same goddamn room, as it should be.

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I think form an RPG perspective the game is a success. It has a rich and clear main story and even the side quests (the grind) are savely embedded into cut scenes and dialogs to be enjoyable.
    Haven't tried PvP yet and probably won't get too much into crafting and economy stuff.
    I am ultimately spoiled by Cryptic's character creation tool that allows infinitely better customization of your toons.
    Even DCU Online, where you had pretty boring starter toons, let you customize to a much better degree by letting you keep costume parts of any gear you unlocked.
    In TOR the look of your toon is pretty much dictated by whatever is the currently best available gear.
    As a bounty hunter for example you are esspecially screwed because it won'T take long for you to find a helmet that obscures the head (the only body part where some decent customization happens).

11. sojourner

There is a setting under options to turn off the helmet graphic.

12. Timelord Victorious

Thank god!!!!!
    Didn't have time to explore the preferences yet.
    So thank you! :)

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Speaking of helmets, I have yet to figure out how one that only covers, say, the top half of my character's face is capable of changing his voice. I would've expected vocoder technology only in helmets that covered either the entire head or the lower portion. The one my test BH has doesn't come anywhere near his mouth!

14. Timelord Victorious

You must have the same helmet I have, lol... Is it the one that looks like n upside down metal plate combined with Cyclops visor?

15. PsychoPere

Yes, that sounds about right. It reminds me somewhat of the helmets that U.S. soldiers wore during World War I.

In any event, I'm having a lot of fun testing out the Bounty Hunter, particularly using the "Death from Above" ability to fly up on my jetpack and let loose a torrent of missiles and blasterfire on a cluster of enemies. The farther into the BH story that I get during these two testing periods, though, the more I'm re-considering my initial intention of rolling an Imperial Agent at launch, since the IA and BH will be visiting many of the same worlds. I'm starting to instead consider a Republic character so I can have a different environmental experience early on, though I know if I did change plans to Republic that I'd inevitably end up going with one of the Jedi classes.

16. sojourner

You get like 8 or 10 character slots per server, so no biggie. Just play all the classes.

17. PsychoPere

Oh, I probably will eventually. But I want to start with one character and "finish" that class story before I create another one.

There are just too many options! :p (Can't believe I'm actually considering that even a slightly bad thing...)

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I'm with you. I tried all of the classes and played four through their starter worlds (wanted to see all four planets fully) and am having a really hard time deciding.

Though I did play JC most of the way through Coruscant and had to force myself to stop. So maybe that's what I'll roll to start.

I also played Esseles through like four times with her and didn't get tired of it. Easily the most fun low-level instance I've ever played. Kinda easy though, but whatever.

19. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

The beta has been fun. Of course, there are lots of kinks that will eventually get worked out. I'm running it on a four year old desktop, and so the game is pretty choppy in terms of the graphics. I may need to get a new desktop to play this bad boy, although I haven't tried it on my four month old MacBook Pro yet (I prefer gaming on a desktop).

20. Timelord Victorious

Yeah, definitely fun.
    It remains to be seen, if the game stays fun after I finish the story quests. Been burning pretty hard through them during my 4 days beta testing.
    No idea what awaits me as endgame.
    Does anyone know if I will hit a sudden wall of silence (no more Voice Overed missions and character development?
    Will there be just an endless grind to keep up with the arms race for PvP and a small selection of raids?