Garth of Izar is the bad guy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by GMDreia, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The villan is a human version of Spock (ala, The Enemy Within) with Spock's human and vulcan side seperated.

2. AJBlue98

AJBlue98 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you, you’ve put your finger on exactly what I've been trying to express: Garth was a dandy. And that’s exactly why I don’t think Cumberbatch will be playing him. Benedict’s a bad a*s, plain and simple, no dandy.

3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Different universe. Kirk isn't exactly identical over there and is now more rebel, without a Father to steadily influence him up through the ranks. He's now the late bloomer who achieved early. Quickest rise to the Captaincy, in the history of anything.

Perhaps Garth will be a different kind of mad man too? Different backstory that causes his madness.

It's probably like comparing Baltars. Campy 70s John Colicos, or slightly more complex 00s James Callis.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And one of the times he was played by David Hedison, Felix was devoured by sharks.

I think he means a surprise reveal about a different character.

5. Bengoshi2000

Bengoshi2000 Ensign Red Shirt

I couldn't agree more...

My other problem with Garth has to do with the Timeline. My impression is that The Battle of Axanar was 'pre-Nero-timeline-interference.' So that would mean Garth's already been committed to the facility on Elba II. (Aside: Even the name Elba II should tell you something about the "dandy-ness" of Garth's character). Anyhoo, Garth is older than Kirk (as depicted in TOS) by at least a generation. BC's villain appears to be more contemporary to Kirk's age. Attempts to explain that in the Abramsverse would be tedious at best.

Please don't take this criticism the wrong way. I think that Garth would be an excellent character to develop further in this new timeline. As one other user said, Garth has "a walk in closet full of crazy" that I would love to see played out in the Abramsverse.

My problem with Gary Mitchell isn't dissimilar... as many many others have said, Gary Mitchell "don't need no stinkin' weapons." And any attempts to explain a diminution in his power would only add to the existing canon of "Treknobabble" complaints that non-fans level at TNG/DS9/VOY already.

I'm hopeful that somewhere buried deep in a TOS episode is a character so obscure, yet dripping with undeveloped potential, whom JJ will lead us to "re-discover."

On that note, I just can't get Lazarus out of my mind (especially in light of BC's rumored appearance in the 9-minute preview).

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ There's certainly room for error, but Memory Beta says that the Axanar battle took place in 2251, which would make it pre-ST XI but post-Nero. Thus it would fall within the Abramsverse. So it could turn out completely different this time around. Including Garth's fate.

It was suggested that Cochrane looked the way he did because of radiation poisoning, and also because he was a drunk. Either is a sufficient explanation, really.