TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by TheGodBen, Oct 16, 2011.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Bah, that was a disappointing review.

2. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I always thought that the Bajor/Cardassia confict started over I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts, but now I know the truth. :wtf:

3. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

are you going to do a proper review then?

4. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You must be mistaken, since there's still a way to go before we get to Melora!

5. Seven of Five

Yeah he's reviewing it.

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Duet (*****)

I was wary going into this episode. I knew that it was good, but I also knew that the reputation of the episode was such that if it didn't get all 5 stars some people would declare me a heretic and chase me out of the forum. So I'm glad that this really is a 5 star episode, that makes my life simpler. It is, quite simply, a masterpiece.

Even knowing the way the plot will unfold, the episode still manages to be engaging. In the beginning it seems like we're being set up for a lesson about tolerance and objectivity for Kira, and I guess that's what the episode is in a way, but it's also so much more. The episode has political intrigue, an examination of the nature of evil, and the tragedy of Marritza. While most of the episode focuses on Kira and Marritza, it starts out by putting Sisko in the tricky position of trying to stick up for justice while being put under pressure by a government that only wants vengeance. The episode could have been about that alone and it would have been good, but here it's just part of a larger puzzle.

The meat of the story comes in the various scenes between Kira and Marritza. At first, Marritza makes some good points about Kira and he seems like the calm, rational one in the room, and even though he's clearly racist towards Bajorans, Kira is just as racist towards Cardassians. Then we get those powerful scenes where Marritza "admits" to being Darhe'el and goes off on long, insane rants about how the Bajorans are a lesser race, unworthy of any decency or respect. It's raw, it's brutal, and it's horrific, all the more so because at times he makes good points. You can't bring back the dead, you can't undo the things that Darhe'el has done, the justice of seeing him pay for his crimes would be a hollow victory in many ways. Then we come to their closing scenes together where Marritza finally breaks down and admits the truth. Those of you that know me know that I'm cynical and manly, so it takes a lot to bring me to tears. This episode didn't, but it's the closest I've come all, oh, let's just say week.

Everything in this episode works, it is a finely crafted piece of drama. The story, the dialogue, the acting, all that stuff clicks. Pretty much all the scenes are worthwhile, except perhaps for the Quark scene, which felt like they were trying to shoehorn him into the episode, but even that's not too bad. This is easily the best episode of the season, and one of the best of the whole show. Even its stellar reputation doesn't harm it, it meets those expectations and still manages to rise further above them.

7. MrBorg

MrBorg Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

*readies pitchfork* HERETI-

*scrolls down a bit*

Oh.

Good episode. Good review, as well.

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Much better. :)

9. Son of Quark

Son of Quark Lieutenant Red Shirt

"Duet" is one of the best ever Deep Space Nine episodes. Harris Yulin who played Marritza did one of the best acting jobs I have ever seen. Pretty hardcore episode.

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

The moment when Marritza breaks down and starts crying is possibly my favourite moment of the series, to be honest. Very powerful.

11. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That made me cry. I just really felt for the guy. And it was so unexpected.

I had absolutely no expectations going into this one when I watched it, and like TheGodBen says I initially thought it was going to be a typically preachy Trek episode about The Importance of Tolerance. The twist made it special for me, and as surprising as when Picard didn't order Worf to help that Romulan in "The Enemy" (I think that's the episode...is it?) and the Romulan died.

12. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

IMO, even the Quark scene works because, IIRC, it's the only lighthearted moment in an otherwise intensely powerful episode. All in all, Duet definitely deserves 5 stars. :techman:

13. Seven of Five

I don't know what to say about Duet that hasn't been said already. It deserves its plaudits, as it's an episode that almost reduced me to tears when I first saw it. It gets me every time I rewatch. It's brilliant!

You have your Trekkian tolerance-type special episode, but it is merely the cover of the mystery that is enthralling. The twist is one I just wasn't expecting, and then of course the ending leaves me crippled.

This is the most definite hint yet of the type of story DS9 would later revel in. :techman:

14. Admiral Shran

Just to nitpick a little bit (because I like too :p) but why didn't Kira call for medical help after Marritza was stabbed?

15. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect Marritza was already dead. That guy probably knew exactly where to stab a Cardassian for instant death, and Kira probably knew too. :(

16. Admiral Shran

Of course, the behind-the-scenes answer is that it's much more dramatic for Kira to kneel over his dead body in silence. But, I do find it odd that nobody on the Promenade was either getting or offering help.

17. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect most of the Bajorans didn't want to offer help--for the same reason that he was murdered: because he was a Cardassian. :(

18. Deranged Nasat

^ Indeed. Even if they weren't malicious, a dying Cardassian might well simply be something they respond to with apathy rather than concern. They're not vicious or even aggressive but they haven't learned how to care what happens to Cardassians. People like the real Darhe'el took that from them, which is perhaps an even greater loss than the lives taken.

Also, if anything, I find it realistic that the anti-Cardassian sentiment might take the more subtle form of "huh, there goes a gray-skin, he's bleeding out fast" rather than "die, spoonhead, die!" (with the obvious exception of the man who stabbed Marritza, who was "die spoonhead, die!")...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  19. Admiral Shran

Good points. I can easily see that for all the Bajorans standing around. However, also present were Odo, Morn, at least one non-Bajoran alien and at least two Starfleet people.

With Odo, I guess you could argue that he's busy restraining the killer. But it's odd that everyone else just stands back and watches Kira mourn.

20. Deranged Nasat

Hmm, good point. Perhaps they were uncomfortable? Kira is clearly strongly affected, not just by the death but by her own newly found certainty that Cardassians in general are not The Enemy. Maybe they were keeping their distance from her, respectfully or in discomfort, rather than from Marritza? And I guess people do have a tendency to stand and gawk.

Of course, we probably have to accept that in reality it's the dramatic visual that explains it, but oh well. ;)