The most liked episode of DS9: Season 3

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by dub, Sep 2, 2013.

?

What is your favorite episode from Season 3 of Deep Space Nine?

Poll closed Sep 9, 2013.
  1. The Search, Part I

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Search, Part II

3.6%
  3. The House of Quark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Equilibrium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Second Skin

17.9%
  6. The Abandoned

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Civil Defense

7.1%
  8. Meridian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Defiant

3.6%
  10. Fascination

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Past Tense, Part I

7.1%
  12. Past Tense, Part II

7.1%
  13. Life Support

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Heart of Stone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Destiny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Prophet Motive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Visionary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Distant Voices

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Through the Looking Glass

7.1%
  20. Improbable Cause

14.3%
  21. The Die is Cast

25.0%
  22. Explorers

3.6%
  23. Family Business

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. Shakaar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Facets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. The Adversary

3.6%
  1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We're continuing to vote for our favorites. Here are the results so far:

Season 1: "Duet"
    Season 2: "The Wire"

Now it's time to vote for your favorite episode from season 3. After we're done with each season, we'll vote for the favorite overall.

The poll will be open for a week to give as many people a chance to vote as possible. Comment on your favorite, but don't forget to vote!

---------------

This is getting tough, as it should. The series gets better and better for me as it goes. But if I have to choose one, I must go with "Second Skin." Seeing Kira as a Cardassian was one of the most shocking things to witness. And it was so memorable. Her acting in this episode was awesome. I felt her pain as the seeds of doubt grew within her (and within me as a viewer) as to her true race. I only wish they left the ending ambiguous as originally intended...is Kira really a Bajoran or Cardassian? Of course, she would choose Bajoran and live as Bajoran, but it would have been interesting to just leave the question of her real identity open. Of course, Garak is also in this episode and he has some great lines as usual! Anyway, I so love this episode. And it was wonderful on my rewatch as well, because my wife who was watching for the first time gasped out loud when she saw Kira as a Cardassian, which was great fun for me to witness! But like I said, this season is full of good ones, and I'm excited to see what you all choose as your favorites. :)

2. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

My fav is second skin as well.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

One of the most re-watched episodes for me is The Adversary. So I decided to name it the best of season.

RAMA

4. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I went with Improbable Cause but really both episodes of the 2-parter are perfect.

5. AnniOfNine

AnniOfNine Ensign Newbie

This was so hard for me, but I had to vote for Second Skin. It was a great story.

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My favorite is Civil Defense. It was a great idea for a bottle show. You got Dukat coming in all smug and superior only to get knocked down. It has Dukat and Garak going off on each other, which is always fun.

O'Brien forgot to reformat the hard drive. :lol:

7. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I went with The Die is Cast. Really like that one.

8. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Of all the Disaster type episodes in Trek, Civil Defense is the most fun, especially Garak calling out Dukat as he hit on Kira.

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yup, it is DS9's "Disaster" though much better. Add in Garak and Dukat, and subtract whiny children.

10. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I went with 'Civil Defense' as well. It really addressed something which was in the shows bible but rarely featured. Star Fleet had taken control of an ALIEN space station and was trying to use unfamiliar equipment at times. With control freaks like the Cardassians it is not surprising to have hidden control programs.
    The Phaser unit appearing in replicators is brilliant! Check for concealed weapons all you want, the computer will create and fire them when it wants to. Having Dukat strolling through the beams was funny as hell and the look on his face when the program decided he was also part of the problem and removed his authority was priceless.

The only downer was having the massive destruction overload just turn into a light show at the end. After all that buildup they should have had some significant damage at least (to be spotlessly repaired before the next show of course)

11. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love Second Skin. Kira as a Cardassian was possibly the best plot idea ever on DS9. This is a top five episode for me. Maybe top one.

12. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

"Improbable Cause" is my favorite. The scene where Odo confronts Garak in his office is great- "You blew up your own shop, Garak!"

--Sran

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Such a strong season, it would be easier for me to vote the ones I don't like. Have never rewatched Past Tense two-parter, Equilibrium, Meridian and The Abandoned. Find them unwatchable. If I had to name guilty pleasures of season, would be Civil Defence, Fascination and Explorers. Last two especially feel they're about characters.

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has to be "Explorers" for me.

15. dub

Just a few short hours to get your vote in before this poll closes! You all are voting for some wonderful episodes. Makes me want to re-watch right now! :)

16. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

I am shocked meridian isn't winning.;)

17. dub

I didn't think "Meridian" was the best episode of the season by any stretch, but I certainly didn't think it was as bad as most people make it out to be. I actually thought the reveal of Quark's head on Kira's body was hilarious! I wasn't thinking "oh that's awful! Get that out of my head," like I guess most people did. I just thought it was a good laugh. I thought Jeffrey Combs played his role well as usual. He was sufficiently scary, creepy and mysterious. Which made it all the more funny when his perverted dreams were shattered. But top episode of season 3? Certainly not. :)

Less than 20 minutes left to vote!

18. dub

The winner with 7 out of 28 votes (25%) is...

The Die is Cast

Here is a wonderful extra about that episode from the DVDs with commentary from director, David Livingston:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJJIEAuQJfQ[/yt]

And for all of you battle scene junkies, here are some heart-pounding moments from the episode:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vSp9CLyImA[/yt]

Some interesting facts from Memory Alpha: