Why did they bother...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Captain Nebula, May 26, 2013.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

To be fair, I have seen that opinion expressed here before: that it's the filmmaker's job to fill in all of the gaps and answer all of the questions, leaving nothing whatsoever to the imagination of the viewer.

This notion seems to be a relatively recent development, however, and certainly doesn't reflect the way most filmmakers in the history of the art have approached their craft. An engaged imagination has typically been a huge and important part of the experience of watching a movie.

And, as the sh*t is hitting the fan, you've still got to keep an eye on that scalawag Cyrano Jones, or he'll surely be absconding with all the beverages he can carry.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It also makes sense because the Abrams movies result from Paramount calling "Time of Death" on modern Trek after the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise.

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Abrams and his magic blood.

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    And also to be fair, I'm someone who complains about 2001 being too cryptic, but I thought that Into Darkness left some questions to our interpretation without making the story a big WTF, so that's good.

Thing is, Robert T April's comment about imagination didn't even seem to be about that at all, so I don't understand Captain Nebula's answer.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Hell, trekkies have spent forty-odd years filling in the gaps and trying to bring logic to a lot of what went on in TOS. We can at least extend that courtesy to Trek in the present day. ;)

6. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Works for me.

[​IMG]

7. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Does that make the new movies "ZombieTrek"?

8. M'Sharak

But we haven't even seen the Borg yet.

9. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

I have been speaking to friends and people at work who 'start' a Star Trek conversation because of the two JJ treks. I actually get asked questions about the other movies and shows because they are interested now that they have seen JJ trek. And ten years ago they would never ever start or even participate in a trek conversation.

I feel proud and happy that nuTrek has inspired new fans and just general interest in past trek from people who never gave it the time of day even just a few years ago prior to Trek09.

I'm a big TOS fan, like many, but I love the new interpretations of the characters. A breath of fresh air and an interesting take.

I am grateful to JJ and his cohorts. Fair enough, I have my gripes with their decisions etc but in general, I'm happy they took a gamble with TOS. It worked.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Of course, one of the most prolific Shakespearian actors of the era taking that pose is just a coincidence. Never mind having Picard invoking Hamlet's lament at that exact moment might have thematic importance. :shifty:

11. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If that's a coincidence it couldn't have been better. I tend to think it was at least one of those "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Patrick ... ".

12. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

...bulked up and wore a tight, sweaty shirt to finally fulfill the wishes of thousands of women?

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I liken the current Trek series to Roger Moore. If you were an aficionado of the Fleming novels or a fan of the early Connery films, then you probably thought, as I did at the time, that his wasn't the right approach to the character. But I still found his films highly entertaining in their own right, and they kept the series alive and successful long enough for others to assume the role and bring things back to the basics. Perhaps there's a "Daniel Craig" Enterprise crew somewhere in our future....

Back when Enterprise was on the air, I used to describe Trek as "brain-dead and on life support."

14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I know it was hard for you to understand.

They were not wrong across the board, as the average person on the street does not instantly recognize TNG characters or the people behind them. As a performer, Stewart is more well known thanks to being a part of the X-Men franchise (and one can argue that many in the population only know him from that). Burton was already famous to older audiences thanks to Roots, and two younger generations recall his being the well loved host of Reading Rainbow, so ST may not be the reason they are recognized.

On the other hand, any random shot of Takei, Doohan, Nichols, et al, is strikes a cultural chord as they were hammered into memory in a way that does not need a screening of TOS in order for the light of recognition to glow.

:techman:

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013
  15. M'Sharak

TREK_GOD_1, please remember to use Multi-Quote [​IMG] or the Edit button [​IMG] in order to keep from posting more than twice in a row in any given thread. (I'll fix these for you.)

Also:

While CorporalClegg's post leaves something to be desired in the way of detail and elaboration, a personal dig is almost never the correct response. Avoid those in the future, if you would, please.

16. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have preferred an actual reboot. BUT NO they just had to shoehorn the original universe in there somewhere and stick Nimoy in both films. Its causes a ton of continuity errors, especially if they do not adhere to the prime universes History before the kelvin was destroyed. (ie: Khans accent)

A complete reboot would have been better and it would have been no problem at all buying these actors as said characters.

17. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    That's the brilliance of this reboot, in my opinion. It resets pretty much everything without ignoring that things used to be different and that it existed. Not bad for a single movie.

Old Trek was never particularily strong on continuity anyway, so I've let that go somewhat.

You're basically saying that new actors can't possibly play older characters, which is not very pragmatic.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

No.

19. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I believe the Picard face palm is quite iconic.

Somehow a reboot of TNG/DS9/VOY with Picard as a young man, serving with the Crushers and DAX perhaps having Janeway aboard his ship as a young science officer appeals to me if done well.
    Maybe its too soon for this though.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Throw in Sisko as the Chief Engineer and you've got a deal.