Stargate Atlantis CANCELLED

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by James Bond, Aug 21, 2008.

1. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dissapointed but not supprised that its ending, and I can also on see them doing one TV movie as I imagine they would have to dismantle the SGA sets.

Anyway thats it for space based sci fi then now isnt it with SGA and BSG finishing next year.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

With DVD movies in the pipeline, but series production coming to a stop, I'd say it's not ending it's canceled.

3. that1guy

that1guy Commander Red Shirt

I can't say that I'm completely surprised by it's cancellation. Here's hoping that they're using the time off to get going on Stargate Universe. They really need some new, fresh ideas on where to take the franchise. It seems like Stargate Universe has the right idea, but they can't split their attention like they did when Atlantis first started.

4. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

This could all be part of thier grand plan, Stargate The Motion Picture..... Oh wait, never mind.
    Maybe I shouldn't joke, the franchise IS just about hitting reboot age.

5. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

According to posters on GW, all of the S1 actors had 6 year contracts. So the 3 original cast had 1 more year of pay due them. Not sure how that works out with the show ending in 5.

6. that1guy

that1guy Commander Red Shirt

EXTRA MONIES! YAY!

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Maybe some limited role on "Universe" and then a year later they're let go? like Amanda tapping

Hewlitt probably since he has the coveted "And David Hewlett as Dr Rodney Mckay"

btw why did he get that spot anyways? was it because he was already established as a character from his SG-1 appearences?

Also Hewlett believed season 4 would be the last
    http://www.adogsbreakfastmovie.com/content/view/149/35/

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Most shows (and franchise movies) these days try to sign actors to multiple season/movie contracts. It doesn't mean that they're owed the money for those seasons. That would be a pay-or-play deal, which is rarer, and the kind that gave Tim Burton, Nicholas Cage, and others a huge sum of money for the never made Superman Lives! movie in the 1990s.

For example, the Serenity cast were signed for multiple films. When that film flopped at the box office, said sequels were simply never made. The core cast of SG-1 actors were also signed for an 11th season. Amanda Tapping was brought over to Atlantis using this contract, but the other actors were simply let go (with no money paid).

I'm totally in the dark in how these deals would translate to bringing the cast on board for a DVD movie, though.

9. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

2 reasons that I can see.

1) Established character from SG1
    2) Most popular character

10. V

V Commodore Commodore

maybe I'm too jaded to say "the concept wore itself out"

but really

The Ori of seasons 9 to 10 SG-1 were a rehash

and then the Wraith...weren't even the Goa'uld. The Goa'uld had personality! But even the Goa'uld were worn out in season 8

either way, I agree with Temis that Season 1 really was the best season (though I must admit, season 5 is better than all past seasons because Weir is gone, Woolsey is actually a good character; and they're using Teyla less and McKay more)

***I mean the whole selling point was "they're trapped in ANOTHER galaxy, different from ours, its really remote and they're NOT in contact with Earth"

but after they found the first ZPM, what's the point. What do they have, 3 or 4 of these things rattling around now?

They can get to Atlantis via ship in 3 weeks, and if they REALLY need to they can hook the Antarctic ZPM or something up to the Earth-gate and just hop through the gates using the 8th chevron (or just unhook it from Daedelus if it is near Earth)

After that, it became "Stargate lite" just as Voyager was "Next Gen light"

can't we just let it die?

Can't we move on to other shows?

do we keep having to "suck away at the show until we've sucked the marrow from its bones?"

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^I was actually glad they made contact with Earth so early, but I think it would have been better if it had been limited to short radio communications and data bursts. It has become too easy to travel back and forth.

12. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

More like a good agent.

Sad to hear that whoever made this decision, MGM or Sci Fi, is calling it quits. There is still so much that could be done, so much that could've been done, I just don't want it to end.
    Darn it, now we'll never get to find that blasted ZPM factory! :angel: ;)

Ironically, I found this comment about the show in an article discussing the success cable networks have had this summer...
    Summer of Cable Love

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be CBS - old, ungainly, and everyone who cares about it has one foot in the grave...but it ain't going nowhere.

14. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:( I always liked SGA better than SG1. The show has good eye candy! :drool:

15. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Mallozzi just posted this on his blog.
    Regardless of whether we got the pick-up or not, we had always planned a clean conclusion to our 100th episode, one that would hopefully leave fans satisfied yet eager for more. And that “more” will come in the form of the Stargate Atlantis movie…

16. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Which is a shame because I think that the premise works terriffically as a weekly series but the 2 direct to video movies have left me distinctly unimpressed. ("The Ark of Truth" gave us yet another piece of deus ex machina Ancient tech to save the day. "Continuum" was a slightly improved rehash of "Mobius.") Here's hoping that the Atlantis movies offer something more interesting.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

interesting change when only last week it was reported the last episode would be a cliffhanger

The last episode will end on a cliffhanger

http://gateworld.net/news/2008/08/iatlantisi_finale_is_enemy_at_th.shtml
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

could that be todd?

18. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, I don't check in one day and all hell breaks loose. I don't know what to think. Atlantis was inconsistent enough to warrant the cancellation, but this season seems to have hit a pretty good stride.
    I hope Universe, or whatever the hell it is, will be good. Maybe they can take the lessons learned from problems they've had with Atlantis and keep it on an even keel.

That said, this now frees up more money for the Saturday night movies. I'm hoping for Mansquito II. Mansquito just left too many unanswered questions...

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Stargate Universe sounds like a bad Voyager knock off to me.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really.

"Voyager" dropped off after one or two weeks, yes, same as DS9 - people sample new shows and a certain number move on. In fact "Voyager's" drop over the course of its first year was less steep than DS9's, and both shows declined on similar curves for their seven year runs.

The lowest ratings "Voyager" got - which were in its seventh year - were around the threes, about the same as the "Star Gate Atlantis" premiere numbers. Similarly, "Enterprise's" ratings didn't fall to SG-A levels until its third season.