Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Captain Craig, Sep 25, 2012.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 4 is the last season of the original pick up. :lol: I remember that after only a handful of season 1 episodes that the show received three more seasons.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I might be wrong, but I'm sure I rememeber reading SG-1 had an original 2 season order.

3. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I believe they got a two season order from the pilot, then towards the end of the first season that was extended to four seasons.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

4x2-The Other Side: As soon as I heard Rene(Odo) as the voice on the other side I felt this episode had potential. I liked the episode and what it essentially was saying about fighting for something when now there is no reason to do so. Especially when it's revealed "our new allies" are actually the instigators or bad guys in this conflict.

4x3-Upgrades: Our ever vague and slightly ambiguous at time allies the Tok'ra come bearing gifts. Power gauntlets that increase the human users physical traits. Oh, and they just might kill you, did we mention that? Until they do though and since you're already wearing them we'd like you to do us a favor. This felt like an episode that shows the Tok'ra will go to any length to accomplish their goal and that their respect for the SGC/Tarrae(Earth) isn't too high just yet.

4x4-Crossroads: A Teal'C centered show, hadn't had one in a while. The Tok'ra are back in this episode where an old love(I can't recall her name) of Teal'C's claims she can communicate with her symbiote. This episode is following the axiom "If it's too good to be true....." Not a bad episode but I did like the other two way better. This one was just kinda there.

On a side note I see some thinning out of this boards already short threads has been done.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this lot were kind of meh episodes. The next one is pretty damn good, though.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They aren't thinned, they just drop off the page when they go past the time you've set to show threads from. Mine's set for a month so I see only yours, mine and the sticky. But if I set it for 75 days I see 9 threads.

I'm reading a Stargate Atlantis series atm so I'll probably start a Stargate book thread when I'm done with it (it's excellent).

7. bigdaddy

From what I remember of the time was that after about 8 episodes in the first season it had 88 episode order (22 from season 1 and three more after that). I remember being surprised because that's rare in TV. But I can be wrong, I was 12ish at the time. :lol:

Then by the time they started filming the forth season they knew they had a 5th season. The 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th (And an 11th season) seasons were all planned as the finale season.

8. Captain Craig

4x5-Divide and Conquer: An interesting episode if nothing else the underlying attraction of O'Neill and Carter is at play. Apparently the Gou'ald can implant a type of suggestion inside a human to be triggered by an event/word. The Tok'ra are making ready to initiate formal alliance talks with Earth and that's when the subliminal saboteur ability is revealed. The Tok'ra have an experimental machine that can detect if one has been compromised. It relies on the person being 100% truthful in recall upon questioning. Subterfuge triggers a fail on the test and deems you an unwilling spy(I forget the exact word used Z-something). If I were Jack I'd joke and say Zartan. So Jack and Sam are not truthful during questioning cause they are trying to not reveal the attraction. Overall a solid episode all around.

4x6-Window of Opportunity: A time loop episode that was really fun. Jack and his Fruit Loops! The event that starts the loop is a scientist who wants to turn back time to relive moments with his wife who died of a disease but doesn't know he's affecting some 14 other worlds due to the way the Gates are linked through subspace. Staying with the love theme is of course the Jack/Sam kiss. I like how for this time loop show they avoided the sci-fi cliche of taking almost half the episode to catch on. Jack and Teal'c are almost instantly going, WAIT.

4x7-Watergate: I came to think of this as SG-1's micro version of The Abyss. When it first started I did a double take realizing that Marina Sirtis was playing a Russian scientist!! The episode didn't ever really reveal why Mayborne was there. He shows up frozen in the freezer, thaws out and before we get an explanation the urgency of stopping Teal'c is front and center.

4x7-The First Ones: A history lesson for the evolution of Unas AND Gou'ald. More about the Unas than anything else. I guess it would be almost as if you walked through a gate and found a tribe of Neanderthals to interact with. This group of Unas had not evolved in the same manner as the others we've seen. Kinda of a bummer Rothman got killed.

9. The Wormhole

Maybourne was the one who gave the Russians all the information the US had about the Stargate. He essentially helped the Russians get their gate program running.

The Unas in The First Ones are natural Unas who don't have a Goa'uld symbiote.

10. Captain Craig

Was that in the episode? If so I blocked it out/missed it somehow. Wouldn't those actions be cause for court martial?

11. The Wormhole

It is, but they don't make that much of a big deal of it. I think it's just something like "well, I guess we know where they got their info."

Spoilers.

12. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the line we get on 'Space', I love that line.
    Today's ep playing is part II of "Moebius".

As for the Ori story line I began to loose interest then.
    Just the Gou'ald on steroids. using tech to be something they weren't

13. gturner

gturner Admiral

4x6, Window of Opportunity.

Did we ever see O'Neill actually eat the Fruit Loops? They were glued to the spoon somehow (so their position would never change between loops). Speaking of which, why didn't he somehow connect the time loop to the Fruit Loops, or why doesn't Nabisco or General Mills come out with a Time Loop cereal, so each day can be exactly the same as your best one?

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the fruit loops :lol:

Oh I want to rewatch that one now!

15. The Wormhole

Probably not. Hell, rarely on TV and movies do you see characters actually eating anything. That's done for practical reasons, if they do multiple takes and the actor eats over and over again, you risk the actor getting sick.

16. bigdaddy

Boy Meets World commentary for an episode starts with how they were really eating because they were hungry, but in the script it said how much to eat. If you had no lines no one cared, but sometimes they were still chewing when their line is supposed to be said.

17. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

If you watch, actors always take very small bites that they can chew a little bit a swallow before their next line.

18. gturner

gturner Admiral

Yes, unless the scene is supposed to establish a character's absolute, disgusting glutony (Henry VIII done badly, or some heavy-set kid in a teen comedy with half a turkey sticking out of his mouth), or of course a restaurant commercial. But rest assured, there's probably a spit-bowl hidden by the table, and most of the day is "stuff - chew - try to talk - spit it all out - and go again." If it's a restaurant commercial you add "smile" in there somewhere, unless it's a Hardee's commercial where they replaced "smile" with "multiple-orgasmic bliss face w/uncontrollable sensuous writhing in the back of a Camaro at a Drive-In... while chewing on a thickburger."

19. Captain Craig

4x8-Scorched Earth: I found this episode fun mainly cause it shows a non intended confrontational mission. The SGC was simply doing humanitarian aid by relocating a race of people whose world could no longer be inhabited. Meanwhile on the other side of the planet another race has decided this uninhabited world is perfect to be terraformed to suite their needs. We never get much on them but they seem sulfur based and reptilian based on what we did see. According to their avatar they are also a benevolent race which is why an amicable solution is found. I kinda wonder if once the planet is terraformed and this race rebounds if we'll see them later at some point? Could be allies?

4x9-Beneath the Surface: A decent episode. With the social commentary it played more like a Star Trek episode, just not one of the better ones. Forced slave labor is bad, I think we got that one covered now.

4x10-Point of No Return: What I liked here was it turned the idea of this rather predictable plot on it's head a bit. Martin is actually an alien whose forgotten the finer points of that. He's also a deserter from a civil war along with some fellow escapees. Apparently during their crash though Martin was injured in a way that he suffered some amnesia and couldn't be kept with his fellow escapees. That part seemed to allude an answer imo, why couldn't they keep him with them? We found out virtually nothing about them. They didn't seem to respond to the revelation of Teal'c being a Gou'ald, they just noticed he wasn't human also. So a race capable of interstellar flight, not aware of the Gou'ald? Interesting?

4x11-Tangent: The Air Force has constructed a special Gou'ald attack ship left over from downed fighters recovered from Sokkar/Apophis. Course now Apophis is in control and something has alerted him to the new Air Force ship, from afar. While Jack and Teal'c are doing test maneuvers with the ship Apophis activates a recall function. It's never said how Apophis nows the parts are back in function but he knows and activates a recall. For that missing explanation I feel it's a bit weak of an episode. Why a recall? Why not a self destruct on crucial parts so your own tech can't be used in the manner the Air Force had? Bit weak of an episode imo.

4x12-The Curse: Now this was a really good episode I thought. It also seems to have given us a new Gou'ald/Egyptian god baddie. We kinda needed one with Ra,Sokkar, Hathor, Set and others already downed. Apophis can only be the shows Q character for so long. Enter Osiris who is going to be on rampage given that Isis was killed. Also, that the host is a former and lovely romantic interest to Dr. Jackson that should prove interesting. I'm guessing we get at least one or two more shows out of her if the pattern follows like Hathor.

4x13-The Serpents Venom: Pretty good episode here as well. Teal'c is back on Chulak working with other Jaffa's to break the hold by the Gou'ald and is betrayed and taken hostage. The rest of SG-1 doesn't know this and are helping Jacob and other Tokra's take out a mined system from another system lord. The system lord that now has Teal'c wishes to form an alliance with Apophis and knows Teal'c is just the bargaining chip he needs. They arrange to meet at the mined system that the Tok'ra are trying to sabotage. All converge in a way that makes me like Jack's responses when they find out Teal'c is a hostage. The worst part is that the minor system lord dies and Apophis consolidates more power. Bad news.

20. gturner

gturner Admiral

Gotta love season four. It really grew a lot of new elements. :)