Should they have kept Dr. Selar?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by newtontomato539, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Maniarek

Maniarek Lieutenant Red Shirt

I remember the Gomez character…but also remember the actress portraying her wasn’t doing anywhere near a convincing enough job (she was smokin' hot though) and I'm not sure if further developing her would've worked the same way it did for Barclay.

One of the best things about the Barclay character was that he was in the hands of a very talented actor in Dwight Schultz. Schultz pulled off all of the emotions, awkward mannerisms and anxious behaviour superbly.

2. Maniarek

Maniarek Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm probably one of the very few who liked Pulaski as I know she wasn't well-received by most of the fans. She provided some entertaining conflict with the rest of the crew & that's something TNG lacked in the early seasons.

I'm still glad McFadden came back but it's a shame Pulaski wasn't a recurring character.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my opinion Pulaski was a jerk. Not necessarily a bad thing as it did upset the status quo a bit. Certainly not to the point where I actively even disliked seeing her on the screen. If she guest roled later on, that wouldn't be so bad. I did like having Crusher back in season 3 though.

As for Doctor Selar? I'm really indifferent. I'd definitely have liked to see more reoccurring guest stars on TNG, as with a 1000 member crew it stands to reason you'd see some people more than once, but the one episode she was in she didn't stand out much beyond being Suzi Plakson.

4. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Correct on all accounts! :bolian:

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

While I like it when the mix gets stirred (or shaken), Pulaski's decision in Up The Long Ladder concerning the kill of her clone left me with the opinion that as a person she is ethically dead.

Unless I was literally bleeding to death, I would never let her touch me as a doctor.

:)

6. R. Star

I thought it was Riker who casually phasered the clones.

7. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    I'm glad that Ensign Sito had at least a couple episodes (it's too bad that the other characters from "Lower Decks" were never heard of again, especially the bartender guy that apparently everyone is really good friends with--it's weird that they just retconned him in there).

Actually, I wish they had fleshed out minor characters more in general in TNG, to make it feel like more of a community. In many ways, they did to a point, in the sense that they did have a handful of extras throughout the series that kept popping up here and there. There was sadly no characterization though. It would have been nice to see something like in the show E.R., where they had a plethora of minor characters that would occasionally get little bits of characterization and would be consistently in the show, instead of vanishing for vast swaths of time.

8. T'Girl

Pulaski indicated to Riker her agreement with his plan for his own clone to be extended to her's.

I can understand both of their outrage at being cloned without their choice. However, that outrage should have been directed at the people who stole their genetic material and created the clones, and not at the clones themselves, who were innocent parties.

The clones destruction at Riker's hand was morally objectionable. There were other possibilities that could have been explored, that wouldn't have resulted in the clones deaths.

Like Ensign No-name at the helm, or at the aft science station. We didn't really see that much of Ensign Ro, but she was a person and received a story arc prior to disappearing. Nurse Owaga (sp?) too, she got relatively few lines, but enough to become a character. These minor characters wouldn't have had to be built up to a Chief O'Brien level, something less would be fine.

When Lt. Worf left the bridge, usually some one from the back of the bridge took his place, would it be all that hard to have Worf call them by name "Yo Ramirez, mind my panel."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  9. Minuet

Right. There were a lot of recurring background characters that never even got official canon names, even though they were named unofficially, like Lieutenant Jae, who is apparently called lieutenant, according to Memory Alpha, despite being an ensign in this image.

[​IMG]

The one with the cute haircut that is in about half a million episodes as well as a few of the films, and yet has absolutely no characterization whatsoever. Fleshing out some of the minor characters was a missed opportunity that kind of irks me on occasion. All that would have been needed would have been to give them names on camera, and keep their appearances consistent, to kind of broaden the "universe" so to speak on the Enterprise.

10. T'Girl

There's a scene in Voyager, fairly late in it's run. Janeway is making her way down a corridor in a combat situation, she is unarmed and comes upon a crew member with (iirc) a phaser rifle, she holds out her hand and says "crewman," and he hands her the weapon.

Crewman????

This is like season six, there are only about a hundred and fifty people aboard the ship and Janeway calls this guy "crewman?"

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish we'd seen more of Ensign Sariel Rager.

12. Minuet

Hah! Well, Voyager had so many things wrong with it by season six I'm honestly not surprised by that at all. It's like the writers didn't even care anymore at that point.

13. R. Star

You didn't think Janeway actually CARED enough about her people to learn their names did you?

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No it's worse. If they named the character, then they would have had to pay the actor a couple extra dollars.

My mind is fluttering with romantic pairings for Selar.

How about if they had had an episode where it shows Selar and Data meeting once every seven years for the next 2 centuries?

Selar gives Geordi a Physical.

"Did I really have to take my pants off while you did all that?"

"No, you didn't."

"Commander Riker, I have spent the last two weeks studying the disgusting outbreak of hair on your face, I think I have found a cure that will finally get rid of it."

"No, it is by choice. I like my beard. You don't?"

"Is this human humour? I find humour more grating than that uncontrollable thatch clinging to your chiselled good looks."

"Dr Selar, please, I'm far too old to pursue a relationship with such a vibrant young woman as yourself."

"I am 128 terran years old Captain Picard."

"D,d,d,d,d,d,d,doctotor Selar, it's valentines dd,d,d, ay and I. I . I, was wonderrrring if yu, yu , yu would like to havve d, d,d d, d,, d, inner with me, me?

"No."

"You remind me of my wife."

"You remind me of my Sehlat."

15. T'Girl

With K'Ehleyr?

Might have taken some doing, special effects, look-a-likes for back shots, creative camera angles.

But so worth the effort.

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Especially not after Seven came onboard, she pretty much ignored everyone else after that.

17. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I like your thinking! :lol: