TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Hey guys! You can call me Spicy :)
    I joined Star Trek last November and I just wanna say that from that point on everyone has been so welcoming and supportive. I'm not an expert in all of it right now, but I do know how awesome of a fandom and a fan base this is. The morals of the characters have helped me to be a better person.
    thx guys :)

Spectre Of The Fun likes this.
  2. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

Welcome, Spicy! I'm so glad you're here. You certainly don't have to be an expert to enjoy TNG or any of the series, for that matter. Just start up the next episode! :p

3. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Welcome aboard, cadet Spicy. I'm sure your rank will change with time. All that's needed to be a part of this community is enthusiasm and a willingness to discuss the shows. Don't be reluctant to share your opinions and engage in good-natured debate if the need arises. Also, check the board rules, there's a link on this page.

4. Wow thank you guys! I love this site already :)

May 20 likes this.
  5. Mr. Low Frequency

Mr. Low Frequency Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi everybody!

I've been into Trek for as long as I can remember. From space amoeba to hairless klingons. I even had an account here once upon a time before becoming distracted by Life. Well, 'Picard' has brought me back, as he always seems to be a constant source of inspiration. Hoping for seasons of 'Sisko', 'Janeway' and 'Archer' as well.

Here's to a bright future. Cheers.

6. May 20

Welcome back! I think I'm looking forward to 'Picard', too. The idea of a series devoted to each captain is intriguing.

7. Mr. Low Frequency

Thank you!

I know right. The possibilities of individual series looking in on any number of characters is endless. A 'Sisko' series would especially interest me, as the end seemed so open. It'd be nice to see him give Jake a hug again too... exciting times.

May 20 likes this.
  8. May 20

That would be very good. :luvlove::luvlove::luvlove:

Mr. Low Frequency likes this.
  9. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Welcome to the best forum (he says humbly). Do you remember your previous username? Just curious.

Mr. Low Frequency likes this.
  10. Mr. Low Frequency

Thank you. It is quite nice here.
    Yes, I think I do remember my previous handle. 'Chindogu', if my recall is working. I did considered rebooting it but it was such a long time ago now that I don't feel like it would represent who I am now, without the years in between to connect it with. I do see people here I also remember from then too. I'm impressed with peoples commitment to this community. That speaks volumes.

May 20 likes this.
  11. jgf

jgf Lieutenant Newbie

Never a trekker or a trekkie; never wore a uniform or attended a convention; never read the paperbacks; only saw a couple of the cartoons. But I still remember, shortly after my thirteenth birthday, watching the sneak preview episode (Man Trap) of Star Trek. At last! Intelligent science fiction on TV! I pestered my parents for my own TV so I'd never miss an episode ...and got one for Christmas.

FWIW, I think the best episodes of TNG are better than the best of TOS, but prefer TOS simply because the denouement of most episodes was something you could follow along with the characters, as opposed to too many TNG episodes where 45 minutes of drama was solved with 2 minutes of "deus ex technobabble". DS9 has a few interesting episodes but is basically a dreary soap opera in a sci-fi setting (on a space station whose technological marvels consume so much power there's nothing left for lights). Voyager I thought would be a mature "Lost In Space" but mostly is nearly as silly, cardboard characters acting illogically on a spaceship a fourth the size of Enterprise but apparently about ten times as powerful. Enterprise isn't Star Trek; it's first couple of seasons can be taken as a decent science fiction program, then it degenerates into soap opera territory with that entire mess of a time travel war and characters consistently acting out of character (had they stuck with the original premise of Earth's first interstellar ship it would have remained interesting, instead of having Archer & Co. traveling the entire universe getting involved in the politics and wars of every race they encounter ...in a ship that is apparently superior to all those more advanced planets' products).

Will give my two cents worth on the movies later, but will risk banishment by stating I am the only Star Trek fan who hated that Abrams abomination; it was so egregious that for the first time in twenty years I walked out on a movie.

12. Spectre Of The Fun

Spectre Of The Fun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes.

You are not the only fan that didn't like the Abrams Kelvan universe reboot. I didn't like it either beyond the wardrobe, Zoe Saldana and Karl Urban. The only movie I ever walked out on was the Nick Nolte/Martin Short vehicle Three Fugitives (1989). I was in high school with some friends so it may have just been teenage boys being boys but as I recall we found it very boring, predictable and tedious.

13. Mr. Low Frequency

I think these forums are here not because of an unwavering, dogmatic, love of all things labeled 'Star Trek' but to share our whole complicated emotional relationship with how it resonates with us. No one is going to ban anyone for not liking everything a corporation is trying to sell. At least I haven't seen that happen.

A great thing about Star Trek is that there is so much of it now, so many different variations, that it brings such a diverse crowd of people with different views. There's plenty of ST I'm not into and plenty I am. TNG means the most to me, but I enjoy watching DS9 more and VOY very little, for example. I am also apart of the zero interest in any ST books club too. I look forward to exploring why that is.

We're all passionate about Star Trek in general. It means something personal to me. Which, in my opinion, is the best reason to like/dislike anything. Criticism is how I find the path to making things better or a view that might give me a better understanding (and maybe some joy too) from a thing I may normally dismiss. A thing that means something to someone must have some value to it that's worth considering. A thing that others find galling does too. Or at least that's how I prefer to look at it. 'The Motion(less) Picture' was near the top of the worst at one point for me. Now it's one of my favorites. All because I watched it one day while considering how someone else viewed it. Then there's 'Into Darkness' which no one has been able to convince me, yet, was a good idea.

TL;DR - I hope you find the threads here that help you explore/expand what is meaningful about S.Trek to you. I look forward to reading your thoughts about Trek.

May 20 likes this.
  14. jgf

jgf Lieutenant Newbie

You're absolutely correct - we critique things we care about. (For me TMP was a two hour promo for a special effects company, showing its obvious origin as a proposed script for an episode of ST2. And the uniforms looked like pajamas.)

15. Mr. Low Frequency

And this is exactly why I love TMP. I wish my pajamas were that hi-tech.

May 20 likes this.
  16. CSP

CSP Cadet Newbie

Hello Everyone !
    I am NOT a "Trekkie" , but one night around the Autumn of 1988 I was doing something rare for me : Channel Flipping. I came across The Next Generation about 15 minutes into the show and became entranced . The characters , the "lessons" about ethics and morals and integrity , the music , the story line .... I simply went into a trance . I now am lucky enough to watch it again over free airwaves again , on sub-channel 2-4 .

think likes this.
  17. May 20

Welcome! I stumbled across TNG as well, probably around 1988! I'm glad you are able to enjoy the show again.

think and CSP like this.
  18. Yes Man the Great

Yes Man the Great Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi, I’m new here, I’m not sure what I want to talk about, I’m just hoping to meet new people who have the same in shows as me.

19. Welcome!

20. May 20

Welcome! If you haven't already, feel free to browse the current threads and add to the discussion. I look forward to hearing your views on a great show!

21. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

By "great" you mean best, right? ;)