Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Same here.

I liked it. It felt like they were setting up plenty of different things and I look forward to seeing it all play out.

This may sound odd, but I was certain that Coulson would be killed in this episode (or only be in flashbacks or some other thing that would have stopped him from being in the rest of the series). I really thought the huge promotion involving the character and actor was a huge Whedon-esque misdirection but I'm glad I was wrong.

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, I've seen it, and I liked it. I'm going to keep watching.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not the one making an issue of it! It was one point I made in a significantly longer review, but for some reason, some other posters here have been dwelling on it relentlessly all day to the exclusion of my other points. I've just been responding to that, clarifying what I meant in the first place.

And yes, dammit, for the record, I do think a lot about this show felt too much like jumping into a narrative in progress, and I'm pretty sure I've already said so. It's just that nobody else seems to notice anything I'm saying except the passing Extremis mention.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I totally agree with his take. The show really needed to be tougher and edgier, with a greater sense of danger.

Right now the tone is so cutesy and fun that it's hard to take anything all that seriously. It just feels like too much of a lark.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't not mentally add "down by the river" when I hear that.

Did have a bit of an Alphas vibe to it.

Please, what does that guy know about SHIELD?

6. Christopher

I don't get it.

7. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Felt more like Torchwood

(this is in response to someone above who said it had a vibe to it like Alphas)

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but does anyone want to hazard a guess as to Skye's real identity? It was pretty clearly implied that she erased her former identity and started a new life.

I know it's kind of out there, but could she be Janet Van Dyne? I ask this having no idea what her character has been up to in the comics world for the last 15 years or so, so try not to rake me over the coals to much for this one. :p

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I liked it fine, I'll keep watching. It was no more or less than I expected it to be. I don't think we're going to see major costumed heroes on this show, they'll save those for the movies.

Not to mention needing to use the movie sets, and explain why we never see Nick Fury.

You must mean Blu-Ray...I own all the DVDs and haven't seen a single One Shot.

Hear, hear! And as another poster brought up, it's established way back in the 1940s in Captain America. It's not so hard to believe that Howard Stark got it to work practically by the 1960s.

Makes you wonder what sort of work was keeping SHIELD busy in that era of the MCU....

That would be a reference to Chris Farley's classic motivational speaker character on early-90s SNL. His main motivational hook was to tell kids that they might wind up like him, living in a VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Watch it now, before NBC has it taken down.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm actually glad it wasn't tougher or edgier, I liked the fact that it was a light, fun show. I like dark and edgie stuff, but sometimes it's nice to just sit back and relax with a show that is just a fun, light hearted, good time.

As for my overall reaction, it wasn't anything mind blowing, but I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to more episodes. I thought they did a pretty good job of introducing everybody and giving us an interesting plot at the same time.
    I was not expecting so many blatant references to the movies. I figured there might be a few references to Cap or Iron Man, but I wasn't expecting any of the stuff from movies to play such a big role in the story.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

And right to the point
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o[/yt]

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The pilot wasn't great. But I want to see episode 102, so that makes the pilot good enough for me.

13. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair though, and no offense to Chloe Bennett, this is Felicia Day we're talking about.

Ehhh... compare early Buffy with late Buffy.

Executed well though, it could be very good. "Am I the real Coulson?" sort of thing. Put me down for LMD that thinks he's the original Coulson.

Overall it's a solid pilot that has me curious to see more. Nothing blew me away and none of the characters really grabbed me, but I want to see where this goes. More Maria Hill would be nice of course. ;)

14. Christopher

I dunno... given that absolutely everyone at this point is guessing that Coulson's really an LMD, I suspect that's just what they want us to think. It would be pretty boring if the big surprise reveal turned out to be the exact same thing everyone was predicting from before the show even premiered.

15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This pilot was kind of a snoozer for me. I usually like Whedon TV, but all the Marvel Universe stuff is just baggage to me, as I'm not a comic guy. I'll give it some more episodes though, worse pilots have turned into great shows.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

When they were listing all the causes of superpowers they mentioned Dr. Erskine's formula, gamma radiation, and Extremis. But they also mentioned alien metal? Do we know anyone in the MCU who would have their powers derived from alien metal? Could it be a hint of things to come, either on the show or in the larger MCU?

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

There was some kind of Chitauri device shown earlier in the episode. I'm guessing certain "powers" will come from recovered Chitauri tech, a la the Item 43 one-shot.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Even Marvel Comics can't make up their minds on that one. It tends to be what ever is needed for the story at hand.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

The movies have all been more about amped up fun with a bit of humour, so I don't see the series as out of place. If anything felt out of place, it was the dark tones in Ironman 3.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral