STO: TrekBBS Armada and House of TrekBBS - Fleet discussion and FAQ

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Timelord Victorious, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: STO: TrekBBS Armada and House of TrekBBS - Fleet discussion and FA

Some updates to the status of the House:

Teal has been promoted to Co-Head of the House. He has been doing such a good job with managing the fleet and getting it to where it is today, that the position is well deserved.

We also created a long overdue redo of the fleet emblem you can put on your ships and uniforms to better reflect the flet colors.

And while we were at it, we made a new uniform using the Bortasq parts which look so much better than generic Klingon armor #1.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Timelord Victorious

We'll see.
    We have found one small fleet with middle-ish progress onthrir base willing to be our beta fleet.
    Assuming we don't come about a maxed fleet who wants to take us on as a beta, than the other fleet would either become our gamma or another beta.
    All as long as the armada members are the casual kind without dictating stuff and no drama and politics.
    We don't have to have a full Armada structure in place on day one either.

I am looking forward to the improved fleet UI, should make roster management easier.

With the upcoming research holding, everyone should keep in mind, that we will need more fleet marks, dilithium and other resouces soon again, to level it up.
    Also the bew fleet level ground kits, secondary deflector and additional trait/crafting slots etc will require fleet credits and dilithium. Now is a good time to start stockpiling.

4. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

How much can a 400-member alpha fleet dictate their beta/gamma fleet's policies? As far as I can tell, all the armada system is doing is to allow alpha fleet's members to contribute to a beta/gamma fleet's projects. Or have I read wrongly?

5. Timelord Victorious

Contributions work in the other direction, too, I believe. And they could hold their resources hostage to get what they want.

6. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Meaning we'll need to be rather careful about who we join up with.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  7. intrinsical

Maybe I'm just too kind hearted to see a way for alpha fleets to exploit this and hold beta/gamma fleets ransom.

The way I see it, if they have 400 contributing members then they already have all the resources. It doesn't make sense for such a fleet to demand stuff from poorer fleets. What their members need are fleet credits, which they can only get by contributing to projects of beta/gamma fleets.

8. Timelord Victorious

True, but they could try to demand that we keep the fleet mark slots open for them for example before they contribute anything else... say, doffs.
    That would leave us in the cold, because fleet marks would be filled instantly, so cutting us off from fleet credits in turn.

9. pteal1979

pteal1979 Tal Shiar's Most Wanted Red Shirt

There are options so we can limit what people donate to our fleet, and what we can donate to other fleets.

For example we could stop our fleet members donating Doffs to other fleets, but stop other fleets donating credits to our projects.

10. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I might know of some smaller fleets that might be willing to part of an armada with us. Yet to really ask any of them, as I haven't looked at the game for a few days. Keep getting disconnected when I try.

11. Timelord Victorious

It all really depends on the power balance.
    We are a clear beta level fleet at least. We could probably pull off alpha even, if more people would dobate diffs and commodities.
    The betas and gammas under us would ensure opportunities to generate fleet credits for more doffs.
    The moment we would struggle and put progression to a halt for the betas would be when we get to the big upgrades...

So being a beta would be the save bet at least until we complete T5.

12. pteal1979

So we should be looking for 3 low level fleets to become our Gamma's than?

As for the KDF fleet we will have to see if anyone want's us as their Gamma fleet?

13. intrinsical

We're clearly a beta fleet.

An alpha fleet would be able to keep their new Krenim fleet holding projects humming steadily while still be able to contribute to their beta and gamma fleet's projects. A couple of my characters are in such a fleet... I haven't asked them, but I can inquire.

14. Timelord Victorious

cool, please do. :)

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Have a hard time imagining other fleets trying to make demands of us. I don't think we care enough about fleet politics to engage them, even. If it starts to be a problem, we can just take our ball and go home.

Part of my favorite thing about our fleet: no drama, no whining. People are generous with help, parts, and donations, and no one is really keeping score. Help when you can, take what you need. Worked out pretty well for us, so if another fleet starts putting pressure on us, screw 'em.

Happy to get to a spot where we can get a little help from a maxed fleet, though, as well as being able to dump the stuff we don't need as much into a lesser fleet in order to get credits. It's a nice system, at least in concept.

16. pteal1979

Looks like the new armada system will drop next Thursday

17. intrinsical

I have written in to Kodiak Legion, a fleet who's completed every fleet holding and have close to 400 members (including alts). I am waiting to hear from them, but from what I understand they have already found 3 beta fleets who are also roughly in the same state as we are.. T4 Starbase, with the rest of their holdings either complete or nearing completion.

We might be able to join them as a gamma fleet. I'm still waiting to hear from them.

I was thinking since most fleets don't have a website or forum, we can sweeten the deal by offering the use of this forum as a watering hole, a social gathering place for whichever armada we apply to. Maybe we can start a new armada thread?

18. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I wonder if as a gamma, we'd get more trickle-down and less Armadadrama? I would be more interested in that than any intangible ego rewards of being an "Alpha" or "Beta".

19. Timelord Victorious

The thing is as a gamma we won't have as many opportunities to drop off our excess resources I think.
    We do not need as much trickle down as we used to. Mostly doffs that slow us down.
    But fleet marks and to a lesser degree dilithium is not in that short supply that we would benefit much.
    And beta and alpha above us would not benefit that much either.

So I'd say we really are a solid beta class fleet.
    We could go in either direction alpha or gamma, but both would not be ideal.

20. intrinsical

I just received a reply from Kodiak Legion (soon to be renamed STO Continuum). They're happy to accept us as a gamma fleet.

Don't we control what resources other fleets can donate? If and when the other fleets only contribute fleet marks and little of anything else, we can disallow them from contributing fleet marks.

From what I understand, the important thing about armadas is the donation discount. And the controlling factor is the combined levels of all the fleets in the armada, aka the Armada Level. Armada Level determines the amount of discount we get when contributing to projects. The only difference (at least for now) is that alpha fleets get a slightly bigger skillpoint discount and gamma fleets get a slightly bigger dilithium discount. Isn't the dilithium discount more useful than a skillpoint discount.

So a armada containing strong fleets get more discounts than an armada with weak fleets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.