Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Yes, I'm pretty sure none of the money was wasted. I'm also pretty sure that the excessively favorable response they've received to this effort in the form of such a revenue surplus has added to their own motivation to do a good job of it. If the final product is near as good as the recent shorts, it is likely to be hailed as the greatest fan film ever made and set a new gold standard for the rest to follow. They've set a rather high bar for themselves as well based on the quality of the trailers. I hope they can live up to it.

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The Kickstarter is now over $401,000 with two days left to go.

Some people really want this made, as they've had at least two donors that have given $10,000 each in a day. As of now there are 5199 backers.

3. 137th Gebirg

Damn! I wonder if Paramount is taking notice of this...

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Should they? As long as Axanar makes no profit is it worth the effort?

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, took the plunge and pledged $75.00 to the KS project last night (a Blu-Ray of the finished project is a nice 'thank you' IMO.)

I hope they get the funding they need to do the final feature film.

6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I'm so excited! The fans really pulled through!

7. 137th Gebirg

I'm not talking about litigation - I'm talking about them taking notice of the fact that the fandom is generating enough money to allow something of this scope to be built in the prime universe. And that there may yet still be money to be made there.

You're probably right - they likely won't care, but a raised eyebrow might just be enough...

8. Kruezerman

I think it'd be more along the lines that they'll add this into the NuUniverse, maybe cameos or a couple of lines, hell if XIII is going to be about the Klingons, then this fanfilm would be perfect to act as a sort of preview.

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Some people online seem almost eager to see CBS come along and pull the plug on this...

If it does attract corporate attention, I hope it's the good "ooh we can squeeze this lemon too" kind.

10. 137th Gebirg

^^^ Agreed. I definitely don't want to see this die. It's too good. I think some of the haters might be coming from some if the "rival" fan film productions that don't like being shown how to do a real production. Their loss. They can learn a few things from this one but their egos likely won't allow it.

11. Kruezerman

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't help but wonder if some of it might be TOS purists who are freaking out about the fact that the film looks like its hybridizing stuff from TOS and the JJverse.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

From a story standpoint this shouldn't have anything to do with JJtrek since that's an alternate continuity, universe or whatever. That said, and even though I could quibble with some of the aesthetic choices seen in the trailer, I'm intrigued with this overall and as a story and I'm looking forward to seeing the final result.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Except for the parts that came from the Prime Universe as they existed BEFORE Nero showed up.

i.e. The Kelvin design and new stardate system.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I am not getting into another argument about those fucking films again. :rolleyes:

I'll look at Axanar on its own merits.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes there are. One guy in particular on Facebook was seriously affronted that they dare draw on the new movies in any way, shape or form - saying it's inclusion set a bad precedent for fans embracing Abrams-related stuff.

The Axanar people have told me on FB that they're not fans of the new movies (in particular ID), if that helps anyone "deal" with it. Honestly, with the ships, the quick glimpse of a yellow nuTrek uniform, the stardates and the Vengeance crash tribute, I thought they must have been huge fans!

17. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't suppose they have to be fans on the whole to find some elements of them worth drawing on. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

(EDIT: Also, I somehow doubt any great amount of the static is coming from "TOS purists," but let's not get too far down that road.)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  18. Kruezerman

We just finished (I hope) a mulit-page argument over the use of the word "bitch."

It seems like the one thing we can agree on is making a big deal.

19. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

It would've surely happened by now if it was going to happen. I see no reason to disbelieve Alec when he says that CBS have approved it so long as it stays non-commercial.

(As I've said elsewhere, it's a pretty sweet deal for CBS, really. The Axanar team are essentially market-testing -- in a way -- new small-screen Trek for them without CBS having to spend a dime.)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

How so? The logistics and rules of making a TV series would be totally different than making a fan film. A one-off fan film won't look anything like a regular TV series, won't have the same time pressures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.