AMC's The Killing renewed for season 3

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...c-season-3-set-for-may-2013-premiere-20121201

Talk about a magic save. How many people will be watching if the show returns though? I heard many people were disappointed with the second season.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

No many people were disappointed with the first season, then ditched in the second season because they didn't reveal the killer and we didn't want to waste another 13 hours of our time.

It honestly doesn't deserve to come back, it's dark, rainy, depressing, badly written and worse of all, boring.

And Billy Campbell is gone, I read that weeks ago on TVline.com.

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

The cast is great, they deserve to be on a show that's not written by an untalented hack like Veena Sud, that woman hasn't written a single good episode of The Killing.

4. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

This is great news. I will definitely be watching. This renewal has to be based mostly on the basis of the show's quality. As for the cast, as long as Enos and Kinnaman are back, that's all that is needed.

How often does this happen? Great news indeed.

5. Takeru

It's most likely based on the fact that AMC is desperate, Breaking Bad is ending, Mad Men won't be around much longer and they can't just rely on The Walking Dead. The Killing isn't great but they know what to expect ratings wise.

The only reason some people think of The Killing as a high quality is because of the first few episodes that were translations of the danish version, as soon as they started doing their own thing the quality went down the toilet.

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

No, I find the show still incredibly daring (even if I didn't love the last couple eps), especially 2nd season with the cinematography. Unbelievably low light levels, and shot ON FILM - an extreme rarity for TV these days. I'll definitely be watching (and hoping they keep the same DoP.)

7. gblews

BS. I never saw the Danish version and I think the AMC version was great. And no, I think AMC is bringing the show back because of it's high quality. :p

8. Takeru

You should watch it, if you like The Killing you'll abolutely love Forbrydelsen.

No way, AMC wouldn't know quality if it bites it in the ass. It doesn't even matter if you or I like or dislike The Killing. And it's not like the level of quality or critical reception changed between the cancellation and the revival, it's most likely that they realized that they really have nothing to fill the slots and replace their soon ending shows. AMC stumbled into all of their successes, they are not HBO or Showtime, they don't know how to handle original programming. Look at The Walking Dead, it's an incredible success and AMC's strategy since the first season seems to be "Slash the budget, piss off the talent" when thy should throw money at Mazzara right now telling him "Do what you want!" considering the ratings the show brings.

9. bigdaddy

I completely agree. I'm not a fan of The Walking Dead, but it's the popular show is the history of cable TV. Give them whatever they want!

10. gblews

AMC gave us Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Rubicon, The Killing, and some would say, The Walking Dead.

They may not know what to do with great shows when they get them (they screwed around with the budgets on MM, BB, and prematurely cancelled Rubicon and The Killing), but AMC most definitely knows quality when they come across it.

11. bigdaddy

The Killing deserved to be canceled.

Let's be real here people. Why is The Killing getting a third season and getting uncanceled? It's cheap. Netflix is clearly paying for a lot of the budget, otherwise it would have stayed canceled.

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

With that kind of weak logic, why didn't they just do a continuation of that horrid PRISONER series instead? That at least has marquee value, and some people would tune in just to bitch about how bad it is.

And if it were that cheap, then they wouldn't be shooting on film, which is what they do (and do expertly, with more daring than anybody on tv.)

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The Killing is pretty reviled among critics so they're definitely not bringing it back for quality/critical acclaim.

14. gblews

The critics are no objective arbitor of quality and no one has said that season 2 (at least) was a "critical" success.

But AMC sure as heck wouldn't give it another go unless they thought there was a fair amount of quality there -- and considering this network's track record with one hour dramas, I'd say they are at least as good judges of quality as the critics if not considerably better.

15. sidious618

Networks don't keep shows on just because they think it's good. That simply doesn't happen. If it has CRITICAL acclaim then it might be kept on, especially if the channel is interested in that (i.e. HBO). There's nothing wrong with liking the show but to say that it's seen as high quality is simply incorrect.

16. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Plenty apparently see it as high quality, suggesting YOU are incorrect. All I did was type in THE KILLING and RAVES and the following is the first thing that came up:
    http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-killing
    (that's for s1)
    for those who don't like clicking,
    it had 29 positive reviews from real critics, no fair and no bad
    it had 52 positive from viewers, 10 fair & 10 bad. The first comment on the viewer side say, "the critics have it right this time."

Majority rules is no barometer of artistic success -- all you have to do is look at what makes money in theaters. But dismissing the show because it is a trendy thing to do is just as bad as thinking 'if it is trek it must be good' or 'AVATAR made so much it has to be as great as folks say.'

17. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Most reviews aggregated on Metacritic for television shows are reviews for premiere episodes, or at most only the first few episodes of a given series. Most of those reviews would have been written, posted, and aggregated into a Metascore before the reviewers would have been in a position to see and write about the show's decline in quality.

18. gblews

Umm, so now it has to be the right critics. :lol:

19. sidious618

That's not what was said at all. Critics loved the premiere of the show, as did I, but they universally bashed the show as it continued. I'm not incorrect at all. Damon Lindelof even wrote an article about the negative critical reaction to the end of season one of The Killing. It's fine to like the show but don't act like it's a critical darling because it sure as hell isn't.

20. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I neither said nor implied such an idiotic thing.