Was Beverly a waste of space?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by picsiskvinechef, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I don't think that was much different from Sisko disapproving of Jake dating a dabo girl in DS9. I guess fathers getting worried about their sons are more acceptable?

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'd argue that makes maybe an ounce or two more sense given that "reputation" behind Dabo Girls and, IIRC, she was much older than Jake. So apples and oranges here.

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I understand you might be unfamiliar with the situation.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My former mother-in-law was sort of like that, at least in terms of how she tried to be protective of all her children.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

She was 4 years older, so the age difference wasn't a big issue for me.

Also she was a Dabo girl, a girl dressed in clothes to distract costumers, not much different than someone working at Hooters.

I'll say both Crusher and Sisko had a right to be concerned about their children as long as they lived in the same household. Beverly's reaction was treated as more humorous though.

6. Trekker4747

Well, being concerned over your teenage son dating another teenage girl is just plain silly. It's been quite some time since I've watched DS9 so I don't remember the particulars of that situation if it is, indeed, equivalent to the Crusher one Sisko over-reacted to. But, at the same time, knew that the Dabo girls worked for Quark he may not have entirely trusted the "background" of the girls. And four years "can" be quite a difference if you son is 16 then the girl is 20. That's trouble waiting to happen in our society. But, again, I don't fully recall it.

Anyway, I still think Crusher's reaction to a girl holding the hand of her son was a bit over the top.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^And I still think you're completely missing the point of what was clearly meant as a lighthearted moment. A humorous beat before the end credits isn't worth getting so worked up over.

8. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe Crusher's concern over the teenage dating makes sense considering that Wesley's previous girlfriend turned into a giant bug-eyed wookie in that one season 2 episode ;)

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, Crusher just seemed overprotective of Wesley. My own mother was(heck still is) that way, so it does happen. Wesley holding hands at 15 or 16... that's perfectly natural and by all accounts there are worse things they could be doing.

Sisko's reaction with Mardah... was really understandable. A 20 year old woman with a 16 year old boy is going to raise an eyebrow. Further more because she's a dabo girl, which is about one step up on the social ladder than a stripper. Not entirely fair, but it's there. Sisko did mellow out a bit once she heard her story, and that probably was the right move. I'm assuming they kept seeing each other, otherwise Jake wouldn't be so bummed when she moved.

10. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the Kamala thing ins't a big deal. Just an example of her pushing her agenda. There was no force there, but she did impose... bending the captain's ear in private. In this case she was probably right to impose anyhow, just to be sure things were on the up & up

However, I really do take issue with the other 2 things. 2 examples is the beginning of a pattern, & that pattern is that her Hippocratic oath trumps her Starfleet oath. If that's how she feels, she should go be a doctor somewhere else, imo, or stay back there at Starfleet Medical, out of harm's way. People were endangered. She's a Starfleet doctor. That comes with consequenses

The 1st rule they teach you in paramedic school is that a dead paramedic can't save anybody. When the captain says leave them... leave them. The captain is in charge of everyone's safety. That's what he's thinking about. The doc's got tunnel vision for whoever's hurt the most.

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Can't argue with that. But what I expect is fiction is different from what I think it's best in reality. If everybody would just follow the captain's orders, that would make for dull drama.

Beside, that's hardly something specific to Crusher. As a rule, Starfleet doctors seems to be kinda pushy. ;)

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

My mom was overprotective of me until I was in my 30's. The only thing that stopped it was that she died when I was 33.

Of course, mom was high strung....

13. CmndrSela318

CmndrSela318 Trek BBS Commander Number 318. Red Shirt

Thread title: Was Beverly a waste of space?
    Answer to thread title: YES.

A lot of people may say or think Pulaski is a 24th century female version of Dr. McCoy. Well, she might have been but at least she had personality, feist, spark. Beverly was so 2 dimensional she made Wesley and Deanna seem complex, interesting and 4 dimensional. I agree with something Q said in True Q.
    Q: Crusher gets more shrill with each passing year.
    Me(if I had been in the episode): More shrill and more boring.

14. IzzyAtWarp9

IzzyAtWarp9 Commander Red Shirt

^^Pulaski was soooo boring and what was up with her treatment of Data??
    I think Beverly is great! She's got a great bedside manner and is good because it's a ship with load of families. Personally I love some of the episodes featuring her; Attached, Sub Rosa, Arsenal of Freedom, Suspicions... I think they're great

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

QFT. It seems like the Crusher haters are vilifying her for demonstrating traits that are SOP for Starfleet hero doctors...mainly putting themselves and/or the mission at risk to treat a patient. Right off the top of my head, I recall McCoy risking his party's one chance to escape the Mirror Universe in order to save Mirror Spock's life. Some would twist that into something horrific had Crusher done the same thing.

16. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's the only thing I dislike (sometimes hate) with Pulaski. But I think she redeemed herself concerning that facet in Peak Performance.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, I thought she was rather condescending to Data in that episode too. Maybe with good intentions this time, but no less so.

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Beverly can waste my space anytime she likes.

19. Trekker4747

Ew

20. ajac09

ajac09 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Liked her better then the season 2 doctor for sure!