Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chuck Finley, Aug 6, 2013.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I think Mike would disagree.

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder when the tracer was put on Walt's car, I ask because we know he made a trip to Saul's to get the 5 mill then to Jesse's to give it back to him. So does Hank know he went to Jesse's place I wonder.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Isn't it the kind of GPS where they have to get the actual device back to see hwere it's been? If that's the case, it doesn't matter now. Walt has it and Hank can see that.

4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm actually glad that the confrontation came so early because I envisioned the same thing. One of the great things about Breaking Bad is that they ying when we expect them to yang. Like what they did with Tuco. I was expecting him to be the antagonist for the second season but he was killed off two episodes in, which allowed season 2 to develop in unexpected ways. A similar thing happened with the cousins in season 3. It's why I was actually a little disappointed that season 4 dragged out the Gus conflict the whole season. (Although, it was still an amazing season of television.)

By putting the Walt/Hank confrontation in the first episode, my conception of how the season would play out has been shattered. I have no idea now how things with Hank will play out now, and I'm more excited than ever to find out.

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I would think in this day and age it would just be tracked by Satellites with real-time data. Heck Walts's new black Audi probably has On-star that can track it to (under a court warrant ).

7. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

That's the key word here, warrant. Everything Hank has done so far, is warrantless. Hank may be making a huge mistake here. I think he's made similar mistakes as well. Even though he was right about the laundry, he still had no hard evidence. The same can be said about Walt. The book itself is completely inadmissible and even if it were, I'm sure Saul could worm his way around it. The tracking devise is also useless. Though it may show that he went to Saul's or Jesse's, it still proves nothing. It only proves that he does know Jesse Pinkman, who is a former student of his. Saul could worm his way around that as well. So far, Hank has nothing conclusive.

I wonder if Walt becomes a known crime boss by the end. Kind of like Capone or John Ghatti. They have no evidence to convict, but
    everyone knows he's guilty?

I don't want this show to end, but at the same time, I can't wait for Sunday.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Trying to think of other things Hank could discover to incriminate Walt, not that Hank has a specific reason to concentrate on Walt.

9. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

The Voyager comment was priceless. I wonder how many people could really understand that context.

Although that scene really did go on for way too long, even for me!

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

And the real Star Trek fans saying..Voyager is in the Delta Quadrant not Gamma! LOL

11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

It might not have been placed there until Walt got back home. But if it was placed there earlier, then Hank's gonna know about Jessie and Saul (though Saul pretty much has little to worry about with respect to getting caught up in the web).

See, part of it was that I thought the first confrontation should have been bigger, epic even. It wasn't though, It seemed sort of "small". Hank gets angry, punches Walt in the nose, calls him an S.O.B., accuses Walt of bad stuff we know Walt did. The whole thing is over in seconds.

That's why I was hoping for a build up. Their confrontation should have been epic and "epic" requires some build up. Hank carries on his behind the scenes I/V never fully believing, but suspecting, it's Walt.

Finally discovers "smoking gun" type evidence and it points to a guy Hank has lured to a secluded area. Hank alone approaches, gets closer, his worst fears begin to materialize -- until finally...yeah, the notorious drug kingpin, Hisenberg, who has eluded the DEA for over a year is the guy Hank has thought of as a brother for 20 years or so. Hank reacts.

To me, this (or something like this), would have been more satisfying. But this is not to say that I didn't like what we did get. It's just that it left me a little disappointed.
    Yeah, this.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Oh, then it's totally for a cartel that's threatening his family.

I think Hank's idea is that he's not going to be taken seriously without hard proof Walter is Heisenberg. And he also thinks he'll be taken off the case if he hasn't already done all the work. Before he asks for a warrant he wants to know specifically what he'll find with it.

I'm glad they didn't drag out the confrontation just because that's what most TV shows would do and it makes me more excited that Breaking Bad is doing something different. Also I'm not sure they could justify it in character. Hank's not a good enough liar/actor the way Walt is to not tip his hand in front of Walt, and Walt's too sharp not to notice the way Hank is behaving. It would not have made sense for the confrontation not to happen.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  13. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The opening of the season showed Walter celebrating his 52nd birthday in a diner. Since he just celebrated 51 recently, it indicates just one year has passed.

14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But Mike wasn't a revenge kill. Mike was a flying off the handle kill, an emotional outburst of the most violent kind. As brilliant & calculating as Walt is, he's also a slave to his emotional instability. Walt is a loose cannon. That's why Gus wanted him out of the picture, even more than he wanted Jesse out of it. As much of a loose cannon as Jesse is, Walt is atomic in comparison

You know who else is a loose cannon?..... H a n k. For all the talk about how in some way or another this situation could ruin Hank in the DEA (& it could even come to that) I truly expect that Hank couldn't give one single shit about that at all

From that conversation, it is clear that problem #1 is he will now have tunnel vision for Walt, which is certainly unsure territory to be treading like a bull moose, hence, Walt's comment, a purposeful intention, and even with as much as Hanks's learned about him... He's right. He has no idea who Walt is. That's problem #2. Problem #3 is that if Hank ever wants to come at Walt right. He can't go it alone, to be sure. Now's not the time to make it personal

Clearly, there's been some time passage in the forward, wherein Hank has yet to get him one way or the other. One thing is certain. That factor works in favor of Walt. When he's desperate & given time to plan. He comes up with some left field doozies.

I'm just sitting back & waiting to see which loose cannon gets off the last shot. The odds on favorite is undoubtedly Walt, but I'm an underdog man myself & that is without question, Jesse, who wouldn't surprise me at this point if he killed Walt in a murder/suicide, for all his self loathing

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Hank's always been one to wear his emotions on his sleeve, and whenever he does try to hold something in (such as the panic attacks he had after the Tuco shooting), it's pretty plainly obvious that something is troubling him.

Walt would have picked up on that immediately.

16. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

Yeah, I forgot about that. I guess a year would be enough time.

17. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Scotty beaming Chekov's guts into space sounds like a perfect idea for the next film. Hilarious!

I'm so happy to see Breaking Bad back, but it means that there isn't much time till we say goodbye to our characters. I suppose that Hank and Walt's confrontation happening now was a clever move to ensure we have no idea where things will go. Walt warning Hank to tread lightly was a very tense way to end the episode, so now I'm gagging for more.

I wonder too who it was Walt was protecting himself from in the opener. Is it Hank? Jesse? Scotty?

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rob Lowe.

19. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

If Walt kills Rob Lowe Franklin and Bash will defend him.